Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I'll get some more loco pics up on here in the next day or two. Happy to oblige with 9Fs, Jubs, Brits and Black 5s - stalwarts of the S&C!

Yet more ballast is currently drying and I'm using a technique on the cess that Mike (Stationmaster) alluded to a few days ago.

Details of this, and some more ballasting pics, tomorrow when things are thoroughly dry.

Jeff

I think we owe Mike Stationmaster a vote of thanks for his suggestions and in my case corrections!

Just unpacking more weathered Jubilees here, and will no doubt photograph them in due course.

Will try not to let the grass grow under me...

• RMweb Gold

I'll get some more loco pics up on here in the next day or two. Happy to oblige with 9Fs, Jubs, Brits and Black 5s - stalwarts of the S&C!

Jeff

Have to disagree there Jeff, Compounds, 4Fs and 3Fs in my opinion, then it just depends on what period you're talking about. Bachy's Compound is very nice, Jeff and comes in BR black, would look lovely on one of your local stoppers.

• RMweb Premium

Have to disagree there Jeff, Compounds, 4Fs and 3Fs in my opinion, then it just depends on what period you're talking about. Bachy's Compound is very nice, Jeff and comes in BR black, would look lovely on one of your local stoppers.

Very true, Jonathan, but you hit the nail on the head - period. There weren't many of your locos operating in 1964-66. However, I can easily revert to the late 50s, which then lets me squeeze them into the picture!

The loco types I referred to were simply because they are the ones I've actually got - and all appropriate for my period. I've a 4F on pre-order. Hadn't thought about a Compound, though I certainly agree it's a lovely model!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Time for some more ballasting photos....

Ballast is still unweathered as it's still a work in progress...

View along the main line:

post-13778-0-57701200-1376411220_thumb.jpg

Mike said that Larry had "filed the cess down"....so I've done the same. Carrs 2mm light grey, left for several hours so the underlying PVA is very hard, then rubbed down - randomly - with a hand file. It creates quite a variation of texture and the area will have a bit of acrylic wash added when weathering occurs:

post-13778-0-48212100-1376411228_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-35439400-1376411237_thumb.jpg

Two views, low down:

post-13778-0-67240500-1376411258_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-55374900-1376411265_thumb.jpg

And there's more.....

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Black 5 45010 sits among the developing ballast:

post-13778-0-93319300-1376411587_thumb.jpg

And now for the first proper appearance of THE BOYS (Jeff and Bodgit, aka Mankini Man and Comical Ali)....

Bodgit: "Hey Jeff, what you doing there?!"

Jeff: "What do you think....found myself a nice 9F!!"

post-13778-0-23899700-1376411598_thumb.jpg

Bodgit: "Bl**dy hell, man - you'll get us arrested if the BTP come by"

Jeff: "BTP....aren't they those fascist people?"

Bodgit: "No - that's the BNP, silly. Hell fire, what are you doing up there!!!!!!!"

Jeff: "Tell you what, mate - it's bleedin' cold in this mankini.....this is Kirkby Luneside after all"

Bodgit: "Eeeeh, us Plymouth boys, Derbyshire hardened....we'd cope"

post-13778-0-44769900-1376411603_thumb.jpg

Jeff: "I tell you what, dear Bodge....you get up here and try the mankini on - see how you feel then!"

post-13778-0-53996500-1376411611_thumb.jpg

To be continued in Part 2 of "Jeff and Bodgit's KL Adventure"....

Jeff

• Like 2

attachicon.gif100_3897.JPG

And now for the first proper appearance of THE BOYS (Jeff and Bodgit, aka Mankini Man and Comical Ali)....

attachicon.gif100_3899.JPG

Bodgit: "No - that's the BNP, silly. Hell fire, what are you doing up there!!!!!!!"

Jeff: "Tell you what, mate - it's bleedin' cold in this mankini.....this is Kirkby Luneside after all"

attachicon.gif100_3900.JPG

Jeff: "I tell you what, dear Bodge....you get up here and try the mankini on - see how you feel then!"

attachicon.gif100_3901.JPG

Jeff

Gordon flippin' Bennett! Quick Ethel! Fetch me elephant gun!

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 3

Ello, ello, ello! Wot's going on here then?

I was last on around 4 months ago waiting the big surprise and what do I get, a half naked man in a mankini :O 

Just a flying visit but will be back later

There's also a lot of funny buttons but I couldn't find a 'That's silly' one

catch you later

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Gordon flippin' Bennett! Quick Ethel! Fetch me elephant gun!

Who are you going to shoot, Bill.... Mankini Man, Comical or the author!!?

Ello, ello, ello! Wot's going on here then?

I was last on around 4 months ago waiting the big surprise and what do I get, a half naked man in a mankini :O

Just a flying visit but will be back later

There's also a lot of funny buttons but I couldn't find a 'That's silly' one

catch you later

Jim

Jim - great to have you back. In case you're wondering - page 204, post 5096 - blame that rogue Scott in Western Australia!!

Wait 'til the Baron sees this!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Some great photos Jeff and some funny ones with it. Just half close those eyes and imagine the scenery completed too, mmmmmm!

Went on business to Kendal today, lovely clear views. Kirkby Stephen out, Garsdale back. Looking at the stonework on Garsdale viaduct, some of those blocks are huge, just wished I had my camera with me.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Thankfully, we've been spared a rear-view shot of Mankini Jeff climbing aboard....

*shudders at the memory of painting the lime green accessory*

The mind boggles!!

Just heading out to do a bit more ballasting. Or I could always play trains - 9 locos in the bunker at the mo......

No, better do some work. The sooner this is done, the sooner some grass  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O can appear!!

Jeff

Very true, Jonathan, but you hit the nail on the head - period. There weren't many of your locos operating in 1964-66. However, I can easily revert to the late 50s, which then lets me squeeze them into the picture!

The loco types I referred to were simply because they are the ones I've actually got - and all appropriate for my period. I've a 4F on pre-order. Hadn't thought about a Compound, though I certainly agree it's a lovely model!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, the compound is really good, I haven't had a chance to weather mine yet, but the GOOD NEWS is that Bachmann HAVE DEEMED TO PUT TENDER PICKUPS ON THIS ONE.

Bodgit

attachicon.gif100_3897.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3899.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3900.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3901.JPG

Jeff

LOVE I :superman:  LOVE IT :superman:  LOVE IT :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends:

Bodgit :sungum:

It's high time we got a bit of discipline around here.

Bodgit, see me in the Head's Office at 4.

(muttering, 'there's no RESPECT anymore)

disclaimer.  the rumour that I just want Bodgit to give me a few weathering tips is a scandalous lie, and, what's more, I have no knowledge of the alleged incident between myself and Mrs Bodgit snr.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well thats brightened my morning (in more ways than one!), I'm going to be chuckling all day now.

I can't wait to see them infultrate an 'exhibition' layout near someone soon... Now if only we could work out a way to get them into one of the mags......

The ballasting is looking good, although I don wonder about the filed down stuff. Would it not be better to use coal dust instead of filing down the coconut husk (or whatever it's made from)? I can supply a fair amount if required....

Andy G

(ROTFLMAO)

• RMweb Premium

Well thats brightened my morning (in more ways than one!), I'm going to be chuckling all day now.

I can't wait to see them infultrate an 'exhibition' layout near someone soon... Now if only we could work out a way to get them into one of the mags......

The ballasting is looking good, although I don wonder about the filed down stuff. Would it not be better to use coal dust instead of filing down the coconut husk (or whatever it's made from)? I can supply a fair amount if required....

Andy G

(ROTFLMAO)

Morning Andy - I'm glad I've managed to make you laugh! I hoped it would have that effect and I'm sure I can find a suitable situation to give The Boys another outing.....

I've never tried filing ballast before. It does give an interesting variation in surface texture! I've shied away from coal dust because I didn't want to make the cess/ballast surround too dark. Pity there wasn't a readily available material, like coal dust, in a lighter colour. The ground-down surface will be given a light painting. We'll see how it turns out.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've never tried filing ballast before. It does give an interesting variation in surface texture! I've shied away from coal dust because I didn't want to make the cess/ballast surround too dark. Pity there wasn't a readily available material, like coal dust, in a lighter colour. The ground-down surface will be given a light painting. We'll see how it turns out.

Jeff

Putting my thinking hat on I came up with:

Sand (can you dye this to other colours?)

oil stone filings  (Can you still get powdered carbaroumdum (spelling?)?)

Pumice dust

Emery cloth scrapings

ground almonds (or other nuts)

Just a few thoughts, most of which are probably useless!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Geoff Jones in the book on track for the 2mm association recommended putting sand into a jar with the approriate clour paint. shaking it up then spreading out to dry. I presume being ash the cess gets flattened through being walked on.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I might try some "soft" (building) sand, colouring it - as you suggested, Don.

More main line ballast today - hopefully all the remaining bits, then I'll check over everything again.

Jeff

Building sand may still be too coarse. Plastering sand, however, is a little finer and more consistent; at least the examples of these types that I have would suggest this. I have always thought that the finer foundry sands (higher GFN value) exhibits the near-ideal texture and colour (contains coal dust), but have never been able to secure a reliable source. In the past, I have even experimented with coffee grounds with inconclusive results (I am a tea drinker!)...

Hope this helps.

Great work, by the way,

BR(W).

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions, lads. I'll leave the cess for the mo and concentrate on the rest. I will have a look at sand first, methinks - mainly because it's insoluble and easily manipulated.

Cheers.

Jeff