Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

State of play shown in next 2 photos. Branch line and branch loop nearly completed near platform 2.

No tracklaying for the next 2 days due to family commitments, but I'll check on the thread every so often, so please post comments.

Jeff

post-13778-0-61762500-1351115171_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-90904600-1351115181_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

You aren't hanging around I see; you'll have stock running well before me at this rate :-)

Looking very good Jeff, and I bet you are very glad you went down the SMP route.

• RMweb Premium

You aren't hanging around I see; you'll have stock running well before me at this rate :-)

Looking very good Jeff, and I bet you are very glad you went down the SMP route.

Hi Jason. It's gradually building up and, so far, the jigsaw puzzle is fitting together very well. Even the long parallel lines through the station have only been a mm out over a 2m length - luck, I guess (given the number of turnouts anything could have happened!!).

I'm off to Barrow in the morning, back Saturday, so I'll have a little break and come back with renewed enthusiasm! Regarding stock running...when the station area is complete I'll install the bus and wire a few droppers in to see how it works.

Right - are you ready for a laugh? I was sorting out a load of old Hornby setrack yesterday and came across a pile of insulfrog points. I was staggered at how tiny they were in comparison to what I'm now using. And there was me a few years ago thinking I was doing "state of the art" modelling!! Lol.

OK, I'm going to view Bacup now to see how your factory building has progressed.

Cheers!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

As it happens, it's not progressed much because I was up in Cumbria myself, biking with a few mates. Grizedale Forest on Saturday, Helvellyn on Sunday and High Street followed by Nan Bield and Garburn Pass on Monday. Would love to report tat I came back refreshed, but I have bruises everywhere from crashing my brains out all weekend and landing on granite. Closest we got to a railway was thinking that we might have to get a train from Penrith to Oxenholme and then Ings to get ack to the cars after we got lost on the top of High Street in thick cloud but we found the path in the end :). It's no fun if it's safe ;)

• RMweb Premium

Yes, funny place is High Street. Last time I was up there was in 1997 as a diversion from the Kentmere Horseshoe. It was April and the weather alternated between a blizzard and glorious sunshine.

As for Helvellyn - I couldn't tell you how many times I've been up there - usually from Patterdale. I guess you biked up from the Thirlmere side? Or did you go right along the ridge from the Ambleside end. Nice place up there - I always take Mars bars as the sheep seem to have a taste for them!!

Oh well, that was a diversion from model railways. I must remember to put a camber into the curved sections of the layout. Have a look at what Larry's been upto, if you haven't looked recently.

Good luck with the bruises. I've got a couple of soldering iron burns. I guess we all pursue activities that end up hurting us!! Lol.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Arrived at my dad's in Barrow at 6am. Nearly 12 hours since I've been in the bunker. Hands shaking, brain over-thinking with ideas, adrenalin surging - control yourself man, you can handle the withdrawal symptoms.

I don't smoke, but already onto my tenth cup of coffee to deal with the problem. Lol!!

Actually, nice to have a break and get a bit of perspective. Perspective always seems to cost money though! I need to order a few more things - another 6 Cobalts for starters/more screws for a bit more battoning/evostik etc. How the hell Dave 777 built that layout for under £100 is beyond me!

Right - time for a cup of coffee and a catch-up with dad. Will check later to see if any of the "usuals" have posted.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Been slowly reading through your thread for the past few days to catch up - and I have to say I'm mightily impressed at what you have achieved - and what looks set to come! You've certainly encouraged me to get on with the woodwork for club layout I'm involved in (thread for that may appear soon...)

I look forward to seeing what you manage to do when you get back from your break!

Michael

• RMweb Premium

Morning Michael. Just a quick login to see what's happening. Dad doesn't have internet access, so I have to inventive and drive to the nearest wi-fi spot!

Thanks for the comments about progress. The great thing about building KL is that I'm continually learning new things and receiving expert advice and encouragement from the guys on here. I've built layouts before, but each time I'm trying to make them significantly better - in design, build quality, features etc. It remains to be seen how this will all turn out, but - using one example - the input here (and use of the prototype as a guide) for the trackplan has resulted in something much better than I could have achieved alone.

Do start a thread. It's great to see what others are up to!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For anyone interested: Have a look at the November 2012 Railway Modeller. It has an update feature on Ian Macdonald's excellent "Kirkby Stephen" layout. I don't have the length to be as true to prototype as Ian: he's done a great job. In many ways I'm glad KL is an "S&C hybrid" as it won't be comparable to anything else that's been built out there!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For anyone interested: Have a look at the November 2012 Railway Modeller. It has an update feature on Ian Macdonald's excellent "Kirkby Stephen" layout. I don't have the length to be as true to prototype as Ian: he's done a great job. In many ways I'm glad KL is an "S&C hybrid" as it won't be comparable to anything else that's been built out there!!

Jeff

Too right Jeff, even with my biggish loft (keys handed over on 9 Nov hopefully) not many have room for a true prototype model that will satisfy us who want to watch trains go by. Mine will be a Peak Line hybrid and will (again hopefully) look "Midland" although I am struggling to find junction station track plans. The S&C ones have a web site, does anybody know of other sites for other Midland ones?

Do you keep dropping in at Appleby or go via Kirkby Stephen Jeff on visits to Dad's to get a look at what your're hoping (there's that word again) to achieve?

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathan. Another quick flit to the wi-fi hot spot!

I often travel to and from Barrow during the night. However, there were a couple of occasions this year when I popped into KS car park at 5 in the morning and had a look around. I was surprised to find I wasn't the only one there - though on that occasion it was a lovely summer morning (there weren't many of those) and the sun was well-up. You're right about the S&C. It is fantastically well-documented. Kirkby Stephen station in particular.

I like the word "hope". We can always aspire to make something look good. The difference this time is that what I produce won't just look good in my opinion. I hope it will meet with the approval of the viewers of this thread. Hopefully!

Btw, 9th November? So your layout will be up-and-running by Christmas (2012)?! Lol. :O :no:

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Given the amount of dedication, thought and effort you're putting into this project, I don't think many hopes are going to be dashed in the process! Everythings looking superb and I'm looking forward to the sight of a Spaceship (Mr. Riddles finest) hauling the Long Meg along that trackwork amongst that stunning S&C scenery! Inspiring work!

Regards

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Given the amount of dedication, thought and effort you're putting into this project, I don't think many hopes are going to be dashed in the process! Everythings looking superb and I'm looking forward to the sight of a Spaceship (Mr. Riddles finest) hauling the Long Meg along that trackwork amongst that stunning S&C scenery! Inspiring work!

Regards

Bill

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the lack of Spaceshps Bill. One of my favourite locos and a mainstay of the S&C as far as I'm concerned. I'm just wondering how many wagons I'll get to pull over the viaduct! Peter in Melbourne (PCM) has been egging me on about this since about page 5 of this thread!

I really appreciate the compliments. Some of what I'll be doing will be very new to me. I'm a great fan of scenery, but I've never used static grasses, so that'll be fun. Your views on what it looks like will be sought and considered!!

Back home tomorrow, so more tracklaying I hope. Presently sat in the car with the laptop on my knee. Bl***y cold out here!

Best wishes to lovely Morecambe from jewel-in-the-crown Barrow!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

My name's not Larry the Coach :no:

I don't think anyone's as fast as Larry. Well, maybe Andy P!

Just got home. The bunker is a bit on the cool side, so the heater is on. May get something done later... we will see!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Apologies to the "regulars"... Not much going on at the mo. I may (not definite) have a surprise in store for one of the contributors, later next week. Sorry, no further details in case my scheme doesn't work!

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

I looked in on your thread a couple of weeks back and am really impressed by the concept and flabbergasted by the speed that you're progressing.

Unfortunately, I forgot to drop you this note at the time and what i'm going to suggest is perhaps a bit late for you. Anyway, here goes. I find that one of the worst parts of tracklaying is finishing the job. Ballasting, although tedious, is not too bad, but painting the edges of the rails to remove that glossy finish and make it look as though it's been there for years is a pain.

Now, in the past, when I've layed "ready-built" track, I've begun painting the rails of my points before I've put them in place on the baseboards.

For my latest layout (it's based in New Mexico), I'm using Peco Code 83 and I've painted all the points carefully on my workbench before laying them. This way you can reach everything easily and you don't stick any of the blades together with paint. The colour I've used is a Humbrol earth (i.e. a boring mid brown) which will allow me to weather it with darker shades and rust to suit the location, yards or main lines, once everything is in place and after the ballast has been added.. The more colour photographs I study, the more this overall brown seems to be present on a lot of "used" track. New track tends to be a bit more orangey and the darker colours found on heavily used sections and rusts, etc. in the sidings

I also suggest painting the track bed and the cess area with a flat brown before laying the track. It kills the orangey colour of the cork and helps the "bald patches" to show through more easily after ballasting. Once painted you can remark out the track line with chalk.

So, if you haven't stuck that single slip down, this information might help. If you have, apologies for suggesting this too late in the day for the station work! You can also do this rail-painting with bits of track that will be layed in a straight line on the layout, but don't do it with any bits that you want to flex, as when the paint dries it glues it solid, as I found to my cost when i first did it. On my U.S. Layout I've painted everything, sleepers and rails, with the earth colour. Basically "knocking it all back" to a simple base finish, before weathering both rails and sleepers to suit locations. Most of my sleepers will finish up grey, bleached by the sun.

On the other layout that I'm currently involved with (Black Country Blues), all the track is being handbuilt, so I can't paint stuff off baseboard, but what we intend to do there for speed is spray all the areas (excepting the points) with a flattish brown as a starting finish, after the track is laid - before we all get stuck into ballasting and then detailing the track. This speedier technique is featured on RMweb somewhere, demonstrated by Andy York, and will be included in a future BCB article.

Anyway, great to see your layout taking shape. I too can't wait before we see a 9F, or a Brit running through KL and out over that viaduct. I hope these notes prove a bit useful and at least give you "food for thought". Apologies for not posting them earlier.

All the very best,

John.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much John. I've alluded to "learning curves" in various posts and what you've just written has taught me a few things I didn't know! The amount of knowledge involved in putting together a layout is quite incredible. I'm a bit of a "thinker" - not sure if that's a good or bad thing! - and I'm always trying to look ahead so as not to get caught out. It's not that a situation is beyond redemption, but a few tips from people in the know can make things SO much easier.

I've got some Humbrol "rust" paint in store - I will dig it out and paint the pieces I haven't put down (there are still another 9 turnouts in the scenic area to go in). To be honest, I hadn't even thought about it. I've been concentrating so much on alignment, point motors, soldering etc - you know it very well!! - that other things have skipped my mind (ballasting excepted - I need to do a few experiments soon to see if my previous formula still looks ok).

Please continue to contribute ideas/comments on anything that grabs your attention. The "team" of contributors has been very, very helpful - and constructive criticism is much appreciated.

I've noted the progress of Black Country Blues on the Forum and in BRM and will continue to follow it with interest.

Once again, many thanks for your interest and comments!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, only sorry I didn't say something earlier.

I also find that it's always best to test any paints against whatever colour references you may have and underneath the lighting that you're (normally) going to use to light yout layout.

Over time, the set of Ian Allan colour books (247 x 192mm) have proved really good for this. I've got quite a few of this series, which were originally published by Jane's Publishing in the early 1980's and I find them full of great reference material. "On Midland Lines", Derek Huntriss, Ian Allan 1992 has a couple of Settle & Carlisle photos, where the rail shows this earthy brown colour that I was on about in post 1144.

I think I used Humbrol enamel Matt 72, or maybe 84, as the base colour (on Treneglos, Diesels in the Duchy and the U.S. layout) for the main line, which (IMO = to my eyes) I think is close to the overall colour in the old photos. I've used acrylics too, both Humbrol and Tamiya, but usually for weathering over the top of my base coat. Of course, all this will be affected by the lighting over your layout, so do a test first and make sure that you're happy with it.

You've got a good "team" following here and we're all captivated by your progress.

All the best,

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm very grateful to the gang of RMwebbers who've put a lot of effort into this thread. Some of the contributions have gone well beyond the "call of duty"!

Good idea about the colour. I've got a couple of good S&C books - oops, they're in black and white. Hundreds of photos off Flickr and the like will be helpful.

As for the future. Well, I'm very keen on building the scenics. Rock faces and outcrops I can deal with. However, I'm excited by the prospect of adding static grass to a layout for the first time!

I really do appreciate your comments, especially given your track record. Any association with Treneglos or St.Blazey (or should I call it Diesels in the Duchy?) has got to be impressive!

I'm having a lazy couple of days while my dad visits. I went over to Cumbria to collect him - he doesn't like to travel far under his own power these days - so it's nice to avoid the cold bunker! By Monday I'll be itching to get some more track down.

Btw, have you any particular preference for putting a camber into a curve? I've got curves at both ends ranging from approx. 60" radius to 40". I seem to remember fitting thin strips of 20thou plastikard under the outer rail in a previous layout. Maybe any other readers could give their experiences on this an airing?

Anyway, John, a pleasure to chat. Welcome to the "team"!! Lol.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Being 'in the box' with a set of gates to work for every train, means I walk past a pair of tracks everyday, and they are certainly not the Humbrol red rust colour! They are a darkish brown colour, which has recently been acentuated (Sp?) by Pway bringing a pair of replacement rails out and dumping them in the 4 foot, these are a rusty colour (still not humbrol red rust, more browny) with some areas that are orangey.

The ballast isn't grey either! The stuff thats been down for ages is a browny earthy dirty colour, with the stuff that was dumped by the auto ballasters recently a pinky redish colour!

It's pitch dark at the minute, but if you want I'll try and get some photos tomorrow, and try and get them on here next week?

Andy G

(just got train described)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Being 'in the box' with a set of gates to work for every train, means I walk past a pair of tracks everyday, and they are certainly not the Humbrol red rust colour! They are a darkish brown colour, which has recently been acentuated (Sp?) by Pway bringing a pair of replacement rails out and dumping them in the 4 foot, these are a rusty colour (still not humbrol red rust, more browny) with some areas that are orangey.

The ballast isn't grey either! The stuff thats been down for ages is a browny earthy dirty colour, with the stuff that was dumped by the auto ballasters recently a pinky redish colour!

It's pitch dark at the minute, but if you want I'll try and get some photos tomorrow, and try and get them on here next week?

Andy G

(just got train described)

Andy - ALWAYS feel free to chip in with this kind of info and/or pictures. You are in the "hot seat" of realism compared to me. I can go and have a look at the real thing every so often, but I'm very keen to hear/see what people "in the know" have to say about this. I've used a grey-mix for ballast previously, airbrushed with a dirt finish. The ballast I use (Woodland Scenics) can be viewed as getting the rock size correct, the gunge put on top giving the colour.

The S&C main line never looks particularly dirty in photos, but it's better to look a bit grubby than pristine. Must admit, I find layouts with expanses of clean ballast look so clinical and unrealistic.

So please contribute whatever you've got. In the end, it's only me to blame if I get it badly wrong!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Camera (ans spare set of batteries) are always in the work (tesco's) bag waiting for action. It's mostly full of my kit bashed WCJS compo sleeper at the minute, so some other railway stuff would make a change!

I'll get some photos tomorrow and see what they come out like!

I really ought to do a full photographic survay of this place at some point, you never know I might make a model of it when I'm old and grey!

Andy G