Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I bet that trackwork (above) seems a world away now in terms of fidelity, Jeff!

Scott

It does! And at the time I thought it was really good! Unless you are aware of what is available you tend to think like that. I can't believe how naff the pointwork was on that layout - I think the turnouts were about 18" radius. They seem tiny by comparison to the present stuff.

We live and learn - and hopefully improve our efforts!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

How about Clans Jeff? I have seen two photos of separate ones on the S&C

Yes, the Clans are lovely locos too - though I think they only made around 10 in the class. The problem is, the Clan models (also made by Hornby and highly regarded) are almost as expensive as the Brits, so given the choice I'd always go for a Brit!

Just come in for coffee. Soldering iron steaming away in the bunker. May have an action shot of my "place of work" later. Target for this afternoon is to fit 2 turnouts, associated motors and a curved section.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

A bit more track put down. First photo shows the disorganised workplace, with a turnout about to be soldered...

post-13778-0-45192600-1351710967_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows 2 additional turnouts (with motors) and curved track (sitting in wet PVA). The guards van is a useful tool for checking the smoothness of joints between lengths of flexi, or with a turnout on a curve.

The left-hand turnout next to the double slip was very annoying - some of the Marcway turnouts have overlong blades which can catch on the sleepers. This hinders the motion produced by the Cobalts. The sleeper in question was filed down.

post-13778-0-73522000-1351711260_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

DISORGANISED! that looks like Buck House compared to my bench with its box of 6 inch nails, and a TWO POUND HAMMER, ha ah ha heheheh

Oh!!! You've gone FINESCALE have you... a 2 pound hammer. Thought you used a 14 pound sledge! Lol.

Great to hear from you Andy. I've been wondering when you'd put in an appearance. Have you got over the sale of Loch Leven yet? That last collection of photos was excellent.

As you can see, I'm making some kind of progress. No grass yet, though! :no:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Think the last time I saw one of those test tube holder thingies was when I did A-level chemistry.....

I bought it specially to hold my soldering items.... :no: You believe that? On the nail Peter. That one accidentally found it's way into my car boot just before I retired. Damned useful too - its career of holding test tubes and heavy weights now behind it!

Jeff

Aha! Just about to order my turnouts from Marcway. Clearly I'm going to have to send them over to you for fettling! :)

Just been tracing that G2A (49024!). It turns out it started life as one of the original Webb compounds, going through rebuilds to class D, G and then G2A as late as 1942, so possible detail differences from the Bachmann model which is a Beames loco. I'll keep on looking, meanwhile one of our 'Wessie' experts may enlighten us as to it's suitability. Incidentally, at the time of the photo it was allocated to Springs Branch (Wigan) so it was possibly one of the breed I used to see passing through Blackburn. Small world innit!

Bill

Oh!!! You've gone FINESCALE have you... a 2 pound hammer. Thought you used a 14 pound sledge! Lol.

Great to hear from you Andy. I've been wondering when you'd put in an appearance. Have you got over the sale of Loch Leven yet? That last collection of photos was excellent.

As you can see, I'm making some kind of progress. No grass yet, though! :no:

Jeff

Mornin Jeff, yes LL has gone, so it is time to move on and not to get too sad as it has gone to a good home, (see LL for details of next projects) As for making an apearrance I have been in hiding with shame because you put my Railway Modelling into the DARK AGES OF TIN PLATE. ha ha heeee. WOT STILL NO GRASS, hahahaha.

I am on Holiday on a Farm in Much Wenlock, Shropshire, for a week and my good Lady has said NO RAILWAYS FOR A WEEK :scared: I normally take an O Gauge Parkside kit with me but I do not have one for this year, and with NO internet I will be lost, still I have have 3 articles to write for Railway Modeller so that has to be better than evening TV. Catch you all soon, Andy.

Think the last time I saw one of those test tube holder thingies was when I did A-level chemistry.....

Ah.... it brings back memories of people being sent to the technicians for a "long stand" - generally in retribution for some level of rudeness... :jester:

Have you got to the stage I always get to of just wanting to see something run yet Jeff?

• RMweb Premium

Ah.... it brings back memories of people being sent to the technicians for a "long stand" - generally in retribution for some level of rudeness... :jester:

Have you got to the stage I always get to of just wanting to see something run yet Jeff?

Yes, the "long stand" is still an ongoing ruse. Or I've sent someone to one of colleagues to ask for a "bucket of steam" or "a box of flameless safety matches"! Amazing what people will believe if you are in authority and keep a straight face while issuing instructions!

Yes, Michael, I'm very keen to see something moving on the layout. As soon as I get the chance - when all the scenic track is in - I'll fit the track bus and wire up a section of what I've done. For testing purposes, of course. Nah, I'll stick a loco on and, hopefully, watch it run!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy: Enjoy your holiday. I hope they are paying you well for the RM articles!

Bill: Thanks for the info. It really is a small world, with coincidences all around us. Most of the time "coincidence" doesn't happen, but when it does, you notice it! I reckon that G2 was probably employed to haul the numerous pies that Wigan is famous for!

Today's schedule: Off to the dentist to have a broken tooth root removed. Guess it'll be rubber lips for a few hours due to the anaesthetic. hopefully back in the train room this afternoon for more "fettling", as Bill put it.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Today's progress...

Tooth pulled out - how can the roots be so big?

Branch-line/loop now linked to up main line after 2 turnouts, two fiddly short, curved sections (less than 30cm) and 2 Cobalts fitted.

Further tracklaying later. No wonder I've started dreaming about it!

Jeff

Tracklaying is a bit like building a house. You get the roof on and think you're nearly finished. Truth is once the track is down, there is the wiring, painting and ballasting. I guess that getting the track down in just 30% and there's a long way to go.

Not being negative, just preparing you for the journey.... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't know if i should tell you but it always starts by dreaming about it. Then the nighmares beginneth... :0)

Oh yes? So, the one where I'm a werewolf walking round St Pancras with a Noch Grassmaster in my hand is caused by tracklaying, is it??!! :O

Tracklaying is a bit like building a house. You get the roof on and think you're nearly finished. Truth is once the track is down, there is the wiring, painting and ballasting. I guess that getting the track down in just 30% and there's a long way to go.

Not being negative, just preparing you for the journey.... ;)

I'm enjoying what I'm doing, Gordon, don't get me wrong. In fact, as I've done more I've revised my technique and it's getting easier. The end appearance makes it worth the effort. Problem is, having to avoid obsessive behaviour where I'm looking at every soldered joint for its aesthetic appearance!!

Anyway lads, it's back to the bunker for another 2 hours of pleasure (careful with the comments, please! :jester: ).

Jeff

Goodness me, Jeff!

You are going great guns there, even with a gammy tooth!

Clearly 00 is better for those who are 'action' minded, well done! I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time at all - best make sure all the track is well and truly tested, with all your favourite locos!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Evening John. Progress feels slow, but the accumulation of days of sticking the stuff down is now showing. Just had a "pain in the ar*e" 20 minutes when I discovered I'd missed an IRJ on one of the exits of a turnout. Up with the previously laid straight, on with the IRJ etc... Easy to make simple mistakes. Plenty of testing been done as I've proceeded, but the proof is what happens at the end. I could hardly believe I'd fitted droppers to a 10cm length of rail - hell, in the past I'd have trusted the rail joiners (bad move!).

Enough done for tonight and the jaw is aching, despite painkillers, as the local anaesthetic has worn off. Early start tomorrow... At the end of the day, it's a great hobby!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just spent the last hour drawing out the geometry of the trailing crossover near the viaduct. Not easy given the constraints of risers under the board, the need to reach the viaduct in the correct position and the trackwork I had available. Will try fitting this tomorrow... first job requires a little "jigsaw surgery" under the baseboards, which should be fun.

Hopefully, the task will be completed by the evening - so photos will be posted. Stay tuned!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully, the task will be completed by the evening - so photos will be posted. Stay tuned!

Jeff

Looking forward to it Jeff. Hope the mouth is OK. Confirmed - getting keys to new layout location house Friday next.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan, good to hear the purchase of the layout room is going ahead, as scheduled. Hope you can find some space for the wife - though she could always live in her music room!

Andy - you'll get sorted. With all the commission from the articles for RM, you'll be a millionaire. Then you can compete with Pete Waterman's O gauge efforts!

I've spent about 6 hours in the bunker today - so far. Trailing point fitted. The trackwork was ok - but fitting the Cobalt to one of the points took ages and entailed wielding a jigsaw under the board to cut through one of the risers. Unlike the other points, I hadn't planned for the crossover.

Anyway, about to eat, then I'll go out and take some photos. The curve from the crossover to, and over, the viaduct is now established, so fitting it all together at that end should be ok from now on. Photos later!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman