Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

You lived up to your word Andy! Excellent.

Couple of questions. Is the line near your box a mainline - how busy is it with freight etc. And how long has the ballast been down? It still seems a fairly pristine grey colour.

The Humbrol comparison is very useful. Just the kind of thing we need - "stick to the prototype and you won't go far wrong", they say.

Many thanks.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

post-8375-0-10855400-1351501106.jpg

Taken from the level crossing, showing the variations in ballast colour (I hope!)

post-8375-0-65829500-1351501171.jpgpost-8375-0-02316800-1351501186.jpg

Again taken from the crossing looking down, can you see the colour variations across the 4 foot? darker near the rails, lighter in the middle.

post-8375-0-45922200-1351501290.jpg

Taken from the box veranda, hopefully you can see the different shades of ballast, the new(er) stuff being in the 6 foot.

post-8375-0-74347000-1351501378.jpg

Again from the veranda, can yo see the tonal differences here?

post-8375-0-05401500-1351501428.jpgpost-8375-0-44894100-1351501445.jpgpost-8375-0-98776200-1351501461.jpgpost-8375-0-09880400-1351501479.jpg

Now the shots that must have made me look daft! Four shots of individual bits of ballast! Taken from walkway, they show the different colours of the bits.

post-8375-0-45903000-1351501631.jpg

And just to prove that there is a level crossing! Can you spot the mistake?

Hopefully these are useful and interesting?

Andy G

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I see what you mean by "under the wires". This looks a busy route. The ballast almost seems a pinky colour in places - but granite does have a range of colour - a little bit of iron in the structure can change its colour dramatically. I especially like photo 4 of post 1177 - the variation in colour across the rail, with the grot along the railsides is very clear. A bit of irregular masking of the ballast bed before spraying should do that.

Great photos, Andy. These are going to be well used. Btw - mistake...apart from the gate looking like it's crossing the line? Sorry - bet it's obvious!

Thanks for "looking daft". But you are the signalman, so you can do what the hell you like and it must be ok!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

We like to think we are on a mainline! We have a fairly intensive electric service to King's Cross, with Sand traffic being our freights. Two sands in both directions a day. The ballast might look cleaner because of the RHTT (water jetting train) that is running at the minute. I would say that we get dumps of ballast every two years here, the last was dumped last year.

The humbrol was a bit of a quick idea while walking to the gate, sadly I don't have a big selection, the brown being used for the inside of carriages

post-8375-0-23732000-1351502210.jpgpost-8375-0-38926800-1351502271_thumb.jpg

These two being on the 'bench' (well the table in the box!) at the minute. The first is my WCJS composite sleeper, the second being a MR brake compo (more S&C that last one!)

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I must say that you have made me look a fresh at the track, considering that I walk past it about 40 times a shift! Look at the colour of those concrete sleepers - hardly grey at all!

When the ballast was first dropped all the new stuff was pink! (And I mean very pink!), it has toned down nicely.

Look at the gate again Jeff. The lights on top are from modern barriers-but they aren't what's wrong!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Coach,

It's my first attempt at making panelled coaches! WCJS D26. The originals were conversions of WCJS 50ft compos and brake compos, so I have used a secondhand ratio compo for the basis. The funny thing is that the original end is only 8'6" wide, but the new sleeper end (both for the model and in real life) is 9' wide. It has only four berths plus an attendant (Imagine that these days!) and the 3rds just had seats! Unusual, and I can run it on my HR layout when I get round to doing it (It's a long way off, so am using the time to do the stock!).

I've had to take a few liberties to get the effect correct (I think that the first class (sleeping half) is a bit wider than 9', but it looks ok. I'm heading rapidly towards the painting stage, which really scares me. I usally brush paint, but I think I might spray this one. A rattle can for the primer (I hope I don't get runs!) and then my new airbrush. I may even try to line it (I usually just do the beading black and live with the fact that the yellow in 4mm is so small you won't be able to see it!)post-8375-0-80101100-1351504529.jpg

This shows the body junction better.

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

The answer is:

The gate is too short!

When they changed them one side fitted striaght away but the gate in the piccy was 10" too short! Look at the hinge end, can you see the big block of wood added to the end? Well thats how they got round it!

The gate is pictured open to road traffic the way it is normally. I must take some photos of these too, the weathering of them is interesting... greens and missing paint!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

There are times when things go well and there are times when everything seems to go wrong!

This afternoon being the latter: soldering, mis-cut lengths of track, melted sleepers, droppers snapping off, scalpel blades snapping. Hopefully, if it's all happened this afternoon, things might be better this evening!

Limited targets tonight: solder-up 3 or 4 turnouts with droppers...correctly!

More photos when progress has been made.

Jeff

Very neat and unusual coach uax6. You've made a smashing job of the plastikard body. I was hoping you had come across some 3D mouldings!

The ballast almost seems a pinky colour in places -

Pinky ballast is getting around....We have it on North Wales tracks now instead of the usual (since the 1880's) Penmaenmawr green-grey granite. Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Hi Larry. I think the pink-tinted ballast is very attractive and a good variant from the normal greys. No doubt some manufacturer - Geoscenics? - has such specimens available. I'll certainly consider getting some to put into "the mix".

As a matter of interest, what did you use?

Jeff

Hi Larry. I think the pink-tinted ballast is very attractive and a good variant from the normal greys. No doubt some manufacturer - Geoscenics? - has such specimens available. I'll certainly consider getting some to put into "the mix".

As a matter of interest, what did you use?

Jeff

Woodlands Scenics B71 Fine Dark Brown for the running lines but not sidings. I would have liked it slightly lighter and should maybe have tried brown. Too late now although I could always spray the tracks later.

Morning Bill.

I can't see myself building kits - at the moment - due to time pressures. However, who knows what will happen? I vehemently opposed the idea of building my own turnouts, but have been persuaded to have a go on the next layout. I've got a large stock of open wagons and tankers, but haven't got any hoppers of the era. So Mr Bachmann may get an order for 10...or 20!!

The advice on the grass is useful. I will get a Grassmaster. As you say, I'm going to have a large area to cover. I'll also need to replenish my flock supplies - I've always found Woodland Scenics Earth blend/Green blended turf to give a good base cover. Which manufacturer do you use for the grass fibres? I've heard the Silflor stuff from International Models is good.

Time to get some more work done in the bunker. I'm waiting on another 6 Cobalts and some turnouts being delivered. But there are a few more curves and a couple of points that may get fitted today. A couple of days' break has got me psyched-up again!

Will keep an eye out on the G2!

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I usually use Woodland Scenics (who do a very good Burnt Grass) or Noch which are the ones available around these parts, but I'll use anything I can get my hands on. The important thing is to mix appropriate colours and lengths to get a realistic range of shades and textures. If you have an airbrush you can also mist over the area to get an even wider variation.

You may be interested in my thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60883-prototype-colour-references/page__fromsearch__1. There are a few landscape pictures on there which should give you some idea but, as usual, its important to study your own area for reference. Incidentally, as I have'nt got around to ballast yet I would be delighted if uax6 (Andy?) would be interested in posting a link to his excellent pictures. Unfortunately I can't cover everything by myself and contributors would be very welcome!

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Couple of replies...

Larry, I'm very humbled to have someone of your talents praise my little bumbling efforts...

(it's construction is going to be a RM article when I've finished it, so keep your eyes out!)

Bill, at present I've not got a gallery on the go, but I'm sure I could spend a bit of time and bump my images of track into one on here....

(Again I'm surprised that people want my bumbling stuff! I'll also do a survay of the gates and crossing, so that could be another gallery if people want?)

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

That's very good news Steve - it gives me an excuse to acquire one of the Bachmann locos in the future. Thanks for the info.

Jeff

Just taken a quick look in my index of published photos of the S&C (yes I do possess such a resource!).

It was an ex LNWR Super D 49025 running through Dent station. It does not appear to have a tender cab, it is dated 8 July 1958 - so the crew won't have been too frozen! The picture is credited to JE Porter and on page 37 in:

The Scenic Settle and Carlisle Railway: Hellifield-Ribblehead-Ais Gill-Carlisle

Donald Binns

Wyvern Publications, Skipton 1982

ISBN: 0 907941 02 8

....and yes, if you couldn't have guessed....I am a librarian!

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I've just created a gallery of my track photos (and one for the gates, although only two photos in there at present). Note sure how to link it to here, but go via my profile and they should be there.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Just taken a quick look in my index of published photos of the S&C (yes I do possess such a resource!).

It was an ex LNWR Super D 49025 running through Dent station. It does not appear to have a tender cab, it is dated 8 July 1958 - so the crew won't have been too frozen! The picture is credited to JE Porter and on page 37 in:

The Scenic Settle and Carlisle Railway: Hellifield-Ribblehead-Ais Gill-Carlisle

Donald Binns

Wyvern Publications, Skipton 1982

ISBN: 0 907941 02 8

....and yes, if you couldn't have guessed....I am a librarian!

Steve

Glad you stated the last piece of information! All power to your arm! Nothing wrong at all with being specific. As a scientist, wishy-washy imprecise rubbish really cheeses me off!!

I have detailed databases for different collections, but that's still impressive to be able to narrow the G2 source down. At least we can now justify putting one on the line - even if it was only a one-off or temporary run!

Many thanks Steve.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Paul: I suspect you are right about the limestone. I've just looked through a number of Kirkby Stephen photos - I haven't got any close-ups - and it looks like limestone. There is plenty of the stuff up there!

Larry: Thanks for the info.

Peter: You're correct in your suggestion to use ballast appropriate to the region. Shame - I do like the pink granite!

Bill: Useful info on the fibres to use. I'll remember that. And I'll keep a close watch on mu Grassmaster - it's not for hire!! Btw, even if you can't spot a G2 on the L&Y (I'm sure they must have had at least one!), Rule 1 applies.

A great discussion on a range of topics, all helping my forward planning. Thanks very much. That is what this thread is all about - your ideas and suggestions.

Maybe this S&C thread is really Suggestions & Comments? :O

Jeff

PS. I've got some more track down. Photos tomorrow!

• RMweb Gold

There are plenty of colour shots of the S&C during the steam and early diesel era. The best (among my collection) are:

The Settle-Carlisle in Colour

David Joy

Dalesman, 1984

Portrait of the Settle-Carlisle

David Joy

Dalesman, 1984

The Long Drag: Settle to Carlisle Portfolio

Gavin Morrison

Ian Allen, 1990

Settle and Carlisle: Steam Finale

Michael S Welch

Runpast 1999

If I were to recommend one of the above, the Welch book has the most comprehensive collection of colour shots.

ISBNs on request!

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Steve and Peter - the dynamic duo of librarians! Appreciate the info. Have already checked out a couple of these on Amazon. Steve, I agree about the Welch book - I got a copy second-hand for £5 from the shop at the NYMR at Grosmont earlier in the year. Some superb photos and an indicator of the variety of traction on the line.

There can be no excuse for being ill-informed about the S&C!

Cheers,

Jeff