Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Moi? I've had a couple of days off, and then back stuck here for early turns. Todays 12hrs, but I seem to have lost the modelling imptus after a couple of interruptions (Balloons on the overheads, visit by the mobile management etc). Got another 5 hours to do, so I might get round to doing a bit of glazing soon!

What sort of colour is 'old gold'?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Moi? I've had a couple of days off, and then back stuck here for early turns. Todays 12hrs, but I seem to have lost the modelling imptus after a couple of interruptions (Balloons on the overheads, visit by the mobile management etc). Got another 5 hours to do, so I might get round to doing a bit of glazing soon!

What sort of colour is 'old gold'?

Andy G

It's a kind of a goldy colour, but in the old style!!

From what I remember, Andy, it was a popular colour in the 70s. I think it's a fairly strong orange-yellow colour, though it's so long ago I can't remember.

Back later - off to do a bit more Physics assistance!

Jeff

It's a kind of a goldy colour, but in the old style!!

From what I remember, Andy, it was a popular colour in the 70s. I think it's a fairly strong orange-yellow colour, though it's so long ago I can't remember.

Back later - off to do a bit more Physics assistance!

Jeff

Wasn't OLD GOLD a BMC colour back in the 60's? oh no I forgot, that was RUST, HAHAHAHEEHEEEEE :no:
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ah, thanks for that. I need to have a think of how to reproduce it for some blinds.

Lets hope that Jeff's physics study help is better than, ' it's a goldy colour, in an old style'!

Andy G

(had enough now, just can't get back into modelling today ;-{

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/BS_Colourchart.asp?pType=&pFinish= Is it like Maori brown / Nectarine on this chart?

or any on this one? http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp?pType=&pFinish=

or any on here? http://www.e-paint.co.uk/BS2660_colour_chart.asp note this one has stone on it!

This website has it listed, does it look right? http://www.e-paint.co.uk/BS2660_colour_chart.asp

Now if I print them on the computer, how can i get them colourfast? Can I varnish the paper?

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Big bags of thanks heading towards North Wales. My original intention was to paint on the inside of the glazing, and now I certainly am going to do so. The semi-open third class (with nude behind) will be fun to paint!

Hows the cross-over coming along?

Andy

(Will I ever stop thread Hi-jacking?)

• RMweb Premium

Big bags of thanks heading towards North Wales. My original intention was to paint on the inside of the glazing, and now I certainly am going to do so. The semi-open third class (with nude behind) will be fun to paint!

Hows the cross-over coming along?

Andy

(Will I ever stop thread Hi-jacking?)

Andy - it's ok. I'm sure there are people that find the discussion interesting, and that's all that matters. Once I'm able to get something done, then we can concentrate on that.

In the meantime, thanks to Larry for his knowledge and to Andy P for his wit!!

Hope the coaches, blinds and nudes are all happily co-existing, Andy!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

There not at the minute, but they will do soon. I may well get a chance sometime this week to paint the blinds, and then I can fit them and then the nude (I think I'll only put one in, but that leaves some for other sleepers!) in too. ETA for completion? Sometime in January I think.

Now Jeff, why haven't you been building things like platforms? ;-)

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

There not at the minute, but they will do soon. I may well get a chance sometime this week to paint the blinds, and then I can fit them and then the nude (I think I'll only put one in, but that leaves some for other sleepers!) in too. ETA for completion? Sometime in January I think.

Now Jeff, why haven't you been building things like platforms? ;-)

Andy G

Now that isn't a bad idea! Answer... cos I hadn't thought of it. Ironically, I've got all the materials to do the job - including the Wills stone paving I'll put on the tops.

Nevermind, quite enjoying my break watching you lot get on with your own thing!

Jeff

what does 'thread hi-jacking' mean? 'Old gold' is gold with a bit of red, burnished and aged. When you see it, you know it.

Promise to myself. Never try to describe colour!

Sunny spring morning here. here is a spring morning portrait of me taken 30 mins ago, and in the background the entire model railway diorama , since I shall not be travelling to England in the forseeable I hope this isn't offensive.

post-7929-0-19634700-1354479936.jpg

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Rob - Morning to you.

Thanks for the photo - why would that be offensive? Nice to see who we're talking to - and a better pic than your avatar. It also makes a change from my photos of bits of wood with wires sticking on them. It looks nice and light there. Its dark here and currently -1C outside. Today is actually the first day in about a fortnight that I haven't been into the bunker - even to check the temperature there.

Looking forward to seeing more pics from you - especially when your new 9F and B17 arrive.

Cheers,

Jeff

At risk of boring you gentlemen who have large-ish projects in-hand, here is my work space somewhat tidied. Note I changed my avatar to something more, um, Surrey...

below the table is a 12v DC transformer/controller and length of test track which I place on a tray on my lap to turn the driving wheels of subjects, usually to top or bottom of stroke also I have a rolling-road and DCC setup when needed.

The white board at the back is a fully ballasted 5'-long 4-track main line which has been used for some country and mainline photos, or mixed and matched with other photos of from a 6' x 15" diorama from Christchurch (lost after the earthquake together with 9' x 4' tabletop railway), all with various trees etc. So plenty of options for photos. The 4-track ballasting is pretty average. I did it really to get back into something good having moved to Wellington and set up a new home here with my partner Jan, who is a writer... and wrote for many English papers until recently.

but I digress, thread hi-jacking and all that. Thanks Jeff and other here who help me enjoy this hobby greatly.

post-7929-0-31345300-1354501585.jpg

Rob

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Rob,

It's good to see that not all of us are blessed with the space that Jeff has, but yet we can still produce something. I'm very much stuck with not having anywhere to run any of my stock, but I take the opportunity that at the minute I can build stuff in work (so therefore get paid to do so!), but that isn't going to last forever (we're due to close in about 5-10 years time), and then I will have to do whatever I can, whenever I can.

Jeff,

Is it platform day today then? As I guess the postie hasn't been yet, and you will have been up for about 2 hours already....

Andy g

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Rob,

It's good to see that not all of us are blessed with the space that Jeff has, but yet we can still produce something. I'm very much stuck with not having anywhere to run any of my stock, but I take the opportunity that at the minute I can build stuff in work (so therefore get paid to do so!), but that isn't going to last forever (we're due to close in about 5-10 years time), and then I will have to do whatever I can, whenever I can.

Jeff,

Is it platform day today then? As I guess the postie hasn't been yet, and you will have been up for about 2 hours already....

Andy g

Hi Andy,

I have been up for a while, but I've been reading - so just signed in here.

The heater is on in the bunker - not as cold as the last 2 days. Today's task - for a couple of hours - is to tidy up the droppers under the fiddle yard into something a bit more organised. I'm also going to fit some extra switches to the panel.

Postie won't arrive for ages and I know the track isn't on its way yet as my credit card hasn't been debited yet. This is starting to get annoying.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob,

Please continue to add your own individual contributions to the thread. It's very interesting to see what you are doing. Have you considered building even a small working diorama in which you can sit some of your large collection of models? Even a 4' x 2', sat on a tabletop would give you a bit of operational potential and a project in addition to your photography?

Where do you store the locos? I've got all of mine in display cabinets - gets them out of the boxes, easy to access when needed and you can sit and stare at them when they're not running. That gives me an idea - will try and get a decent pic or two...

If contributing, in any way, to KL gives you pleasure, then long may it continue!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ok, in the absence of new pics of coloured wiring or chopped-up bits of wood, here's a couple of my cabinets with loco stock. It'll be good to put them to work again...

Cup of coffee then out to play with blue and yellow wire!

Jeff

post-13778-0-77990200-1354527891_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-63538800-1354527904_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Squire, you must have a lot of cases! I have my stock either in my locker in work, at my parents (under a bed) or under the bed, with wagons in a bedside cabinet! I have one item in an ex PBX (private Branch eXchange (telephones again!)) case that is now a bookshelf in the living room. What is that one item?? A rebuilt triang Caley Grampian 12wheeler!

I have no idea where I could put even a diorama! I have thought long and hard about it too, as I'd like to build (all in plastikard) the Tay or Tummel viaduct on the Aberfieldy branch. Would be handy to bridge two bookshelves, but I don't have any that would be suitable! http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/bridges/gallery/logierait.html

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that's a good-looking bridge with lots of detail. Could take a while to model though!

This discussion makes me appreciate the space I've got. That's why I'd like to have a go - at some stage - at one of these smaller dioramas, where every inch is packed with detail. Btw, I hate loco packaging, and the detail on the current models is likely to break off whenever you put them into the box (the old Hornby polystyrene was terrible). So cabinets provide a dust-free, easy-to-access storage environment. They're on the wall and out of the way. I've still got all the boxes though!

Right - I must go and do something!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Great looking stock cabinets ther bud, makes my stock shelves look a bit CHEAP, I will send a pic later if I may.

Andy.

Please do. They can be full-blown display cabinets, if you like, but I use 'em as they are dust-proof and easy to access. I think all the original loco boxes are heading up into the roof as I clear the old layout room out.

Don't know if I'd fancy sitting O gauge locos in a cabinet - never handled one, but bet they are heavy.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Have just looked at the "Pending" transactions on my credit card - it appears Marcway have made a debit, so turnouts and track may be on the way.... Yippee!

Hopefully progress can then resume...

Jeff

Nowhere near as POSH, haha but I look up and get inspired to get that BIG BIG layout started,

Also above, more insperation, Pink Floyd, Dewsbury Midland and Tetleys.

Edit, A friend of mine has the same cabinets as yours for his O Gauge, I would not trust myself to NAIL them to the wall, but I must invest in some decent ones when I have moved. ONE DAY!

Andy

post-9335-0-13882000-1354544376_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-98995500-1354544393_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-69445300-1354544414_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-98422900-1354544432_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-34744100-1354544450_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-36225200-1354544473_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Great set of pics Andy. I'm going to spend a while looking at those locos instead of going back out to the bunker. A great collection, looking all the better for your weathering treatment...

And what's this I see on the Pink Floyd poster... Roger Waters on bass, Dave Gilmour on lead with Andy Peters on supplementary Fender, just behind! Inspirational stuff indeed!

Andy - that wall looks bloomin' fantastic! :sungum: :sungum: :locomotive:

Jeff

ps You never said you'd performed in Gdansk!!!!!

Edited by Physicsman