Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, I spent an hour or so yesterday evening reading through the Dewsbury Midland articles in a couple of old MRJ's that will never be thrown out (Nos 165 and 166, in case you were interested in tracking copies down). It has to be my all time favourite layout and one day, I'll get to see it......

• RMweb Premium

I've seen Dewsbury Midland in Hornby Mag (I think) - in the first year of publication. Yes, it's magnificent. I don't think I'd be able to choose my favourite layout - there are so many, and such a range of themes!

It's always interesting to see how different people/clubs have tackled similar problems - again, the great thing about this hobby is that there are many ways to achieve the same thing.

I certainly have a quirky way of doing certain things. You as well, I suppose. If it works and you feel happy with it, that's great. I'd hate to build something and have it nagging at me day after day. Anyway, with luck, I might get the fiddle yard finished this week, then the hillside and tunnel bit can start.

The track bus can wait a while!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff, I guess I am lucky, I have seen DM on a few occasions and in differen guises, Steam, Steam/ Green Diesel and in Blue Diesel mode. It looks fantastic in any period and always seems to run really well.

P.S. Wish that was me on the other Fender. I CAN DO A GREAT AIR GUITAR TO COMFORTABLY NUMB. :beee: i even pull the funny faces :O :no: .

• RMweb Premium

I thought the same about the number of Standards that Jeff has; damned ugly things compared to the likes of Stanier, Fairburn and co ;)

And I am a sprightly 42 year old, a mere whipper-snapper :)

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I will be trying out some C&L components for my Dent layout in a few months time and can only offer a bit of advice which I have picked up doing the research.

1.PVA is not the way to go, ask C&L supplier for the correct glue which I THINK is called 'Butanone' or similar. PVA is too slow at drying which is why your having such trouble.

2.Also, I would not bother with the sleeper spacing to begin with this can be sorted when laying the track, you can't fix the rail to the chair and the sleeper otherwise you will be unable to form a curve.

3.SMP supply bullhead track in flexible form, MARCWAY are the suppliers.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

There you go, Rob. Yet more advice. They are a helpful bunch on here!

Mike is developing his new Dent layout - in the main Layouts section. Will be worth keeping an eye on.

Larry and Jason. Thanks for perusing my "BR Standards" cabinet. You probably didn't notice the LMS/LNER stuff - cos I never put that picture up. Have a look at the A1/A2s, Princess Coronations etc. Sorry Larry, I've nothing much pre-late-crest, though some of the designs come from the 30s...

post-13778-0-56874000-1354561085_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Lol, seeing all those Standards and diesels in show cases makes me realize I'm talking with young folk...... :whistle:

I can empathise with that Larry - they all looked terribly modern to me, not a hint of copper caps either. :jester:

Oh hang on, Jeff has just improved things more than somewhat.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can empathise with that Larry - they all looked terribly modern to me, not a hint of copper caps either. :jester:

Oh hang on, Jeff has just improved things more than somewhat.

Still no copper caps, Mike. But at least the valve gear's not so prominent! Having said that - I love 9Fs!! :sungum:

Jeff

Thanks for that last pic Jeff, Just remembered I WANT a Maroon Duchess, that looks gorgeous :no:

9f are a must have, No MAN CAN HAVE TO MANY 9f's :nono:

BR Standards are another Must Have's :O

I really must get myself a Brit or two :beee:

Then a Clan and another A4, AND THE 01 and 02 will be out soon and then the Bachmann 4F and then..............agh........... :nono:

The Wife's just seen my WISH LIST :stinker:

By for now, I have to take a beating with a wet lettice :scratchhead:

Andy. :no:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Andy, there is going to be a "comeback" next year to make up for the purchase of zero locos in 2012. At the moment my wish-list is uncertain, but it'll certainly be a mix of green diesels and steam.

Already have the Kernow-Dapol Warship and Western on order (maroon for the latter).

A couple of Bachmann 4Fs for the S&C are a given.

I'll also try and get another Brit and a Clan, having discovered their (Clan) relative frequency on the S&C.

As for the rest? Who cares? Providing I have a working line I'll be happy to run existing and future stock. If only Hornby would revamp the 8F...

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You definitely need a few 8F's Jeff; much nicer that those 9F's :)

I have a wish list of locos too but as they are all ex-L&Y ones, it'll be having a go at kit building for me. I do have an Austerity on order though

I am not sure if I have already mentioned this or not, but, I have a Hornby 8f and it make a rubbing noise going forward, not bad but just slightly annoying, it is fine in reverse though and is supper smooth in both directions. I have fitted a Howes Sound unit to it and it is wonderfull, but I was going to get another a couple of weeks ago and the was the same, noisey forward, O.K. backwards to have left it for the time being, but I may still go for it as the original runs so well.

Andy

WOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO JOKES? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO PUNCH LINE ??????????????????

must be the Whisky :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

I thought the same about the number of Standards that Jeff has; damned ugly things compared to the likes of Stanier, Fairburn and co ;) ...

And they're all rather ugly modern things too compared with the likes of of Dean and Johnson ;)

1.PVA is not the way to go, ask C&L supplier for the correct glue which I THINK is called 'Butanone'...

It is indeed, as I mentioned back in post #1816. I'm not so sure that C&L would ship it to the other side of the world, though.

2.Also, I would not bother with the sleeper spacing to begin with this can be sorted when laying the track, you can't fix the rail to the chair and the sleeper otherwise you will be unable to form a curve.

I sincerely hope most track builders would curve their rail to shape and and build on a correctly shaped template. The idea is not to produce your own flexi track. Butanone will stick chairs to the rail if it gets in the gap between them.

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

9f are a must have, No MAN CAN HAVE TO MANY 9f's :nono:

I'll agree with that, I have one on order from Grimy Times - a resident of 81C 1960 - 1965 before it ended up on the Bluebell Line.

The nice thing about 81C is that it now has quite a few good-looking locos from 'oop norf' lapping up the hospitality 'down sarf' at the Railway Centre which I'm looking forward to modelling. Great innit?

Glad I found your thread, Jeff. Must return again...

Polly

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

I'll agree with that, I have one on order from Grimy Times - a resident of 81C 1960 - 1965 before it ended up on the Bluebell Line.

The nice thing about 81C is that it now has quite a few good-looking locos from 'oop norf' lapping up the hospitality 'down sarf' at the Railway Centre which I'm looking forward to modelling. Great innit?

Glad I found your thread, Jeff. Must return again...

Polly

Thanks very much Polly. Please do return!

With the name "southern42", I thought you'd spotted something nobody else has in the pic in post 1982. There's a Merchant Navy on the bottom shelf, my only Southern loco. It's there for show, as it's not DCC fitted.... I couldn't resist buying it when Hornby launched into loco-driven super-detail in 2000 (or was it 1999?).

Enjoy the thread and please put forward plenty of ideas - like the rest of the "gang". It really is a madhouse on here sometimes - just how I want it!!!!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure if I have already mentioned this or not, but, I have a Hornby 8f and it make a rubbing noise going forward, not bad but just slightly annoying, it is fine in reverse though and is supper smooth in both directions. I have fitted a Howes Sound unit to it and it is wonderfull, but I was going to get another a couple of weeks ago and the was the same, noisey forward, O.K. backwards to have left it for the time being, but I may still go for it as the original runs so well.

Andy

WOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO JOKES? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO PUNCH LINE ??????????????????

Yes, I was getting worried there. You're obviously having a tough time of it. I'll have to send you some more emails! (Have you heard the one about the Queen and Dolly Parton.....lol).

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Polly. Please do return!

With the name "southern42", I thought you'd spotted something nobody else has in the pic in post 1982. There's a Merchant Navy on the bottom shelf, my only Southern loco. It's there for show, as it's not DCC fitted.... I couldn't resist buying it when Hornby launched into loco-driven super-detail in 2000 (or was it 1999?).

Enjoy the thread and please put forward plenty of ideas - like the rest of the "gang". It really is a madhouse on here sometimes - just how I want it!!!!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Thanks for the lovely welcome, Jeff.

As for the MN - oops! Sorry, didn't notice the give away crest.

Now, had it been a spam can....I do like pre-entry examination questions :read: to be easy, you know. :scratchhead: :mail:

Failed! :cry:

Is that mad enuff to qualify?

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes Polly, I'll let you in! But no spam cans, please!

Have you a layout in progress - I think it's bound to be Southern (!) - or something planned? Anything involving 9Fs (revered by a few of us on here - sorry Jason, I'd get some 8Fs if they were readily available) has got to enhance what you're doing!

Please post a picture of the 9F you buy from Grimy Times. Might be tempted myself!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Evening Bill, glad to see you lurking there! I notice you've changed your avatar to something more angelic - another one of your paintings?

Hope the fishing went well. If you've been perusing the thread you'll have noticed many topics, but little progress by me due to lack of turnouts!

Good to see you back.

Jeff

Andy

I had an 8F 8042 in LMS weathered black from memory, and it growled in both directions, and loosening or removing the retaining screw at the front so the body sat only with gravity on the chassis cured it... I had to remember not to pick it up when full of whisky though.... I mean me full of, oh never mind....

I think I'll go and concoct another trainspotter's country scene.

Rob

I had an 8F 8042 in LMS weathered black from memory, and it growled in both directions, and loosening or removing the retaining screw at the front so the body sat only with gravity on the chassis cured it... I had to remember not to pick it up when full of whisky though.... I mean me full of, oh never mind....

I think I'll go and concoct another trainspotter's country scene.

Rob

Thanks for that Rob, I will give that a try.

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Rob, I will give that a try.

Andy.

Not that you'd be fully of whisky, Andy - based on your previous comments!

Anyway, I've just PMd you with an interesting bargain on the Hattons site. And thanks for those emails - one or two freaky ones tonight, to put it mildly.

Hopefully folks, I'll be able to get back to layout work in the next day or so - apologies for the lack of action.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

We started with what turned out to be a temporary layout in the dining room but decided that 9ft x 4ft was a bit cumbersome and I didn't have the reach to correct any derailments at the back so this was scrapped and, anyway, we needed the space back to put up the table for Christmas.

So, Ray built a short bit of test track which, before we knew it, became Avago, a 4ft x 1ft shunting plank which has been popular at some of our local exhibitions.

The Southern interest came from 34041 Wilton, which has a sentimental attachment and led to the beginning of a Southern fleet of locos with the intention of building a South West Country layout: 'Ray's layout'.

Brought up in GWR territory, the initial plan to build a GWR layout was scuppered by very little being available RTR in GWR livery at the time.

Then, with new stock becoming available, and a spare baseboard going begging, I decided to build a shed: 'My layout'. I fell in love with a couple of those 0 gauge ones on the exhibition circuit...

What inspired me to base the layout on Southall Shed, apart from being my 'local' shed before I moved away, was that it was described as being 'squeezed' in between the mainline and the branch line. On a 10ft x 2ft board, Great West Road will certainly be a bit of a squeeze even with the number of roads to the shed reduced.

In case anyone is concerned about 'his' and 'her's', I wouldn't worry too much since we'll be involved in both layouts in one way or another. Keeps us talking, ranting, RMwebbing, going to exhibitions....

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly, glad to see you back on the thread. In the year or so I've been posting on here I've been strongly influenced by many people, and received tons of excellent advice. The gang have me scratchbuilding, using finescale track and contemplating building turnouts - and that's just for starters! I noted your comment on O gauge locos. Another growing influence (on me) is the number of O gauge layouts on the Forum. Have a look at Andy's Trebudoc, if you haven't already done so...

And now, you are corrupting me even further. I'm a northern lad through-and-through - though I did live in Oxford for 7 years, way back. I've never taken much interest (shock horror!) in the GWR, but may do so having glanced at your (and Ray's) Great West Road layout. I'd spotted Avago previously, but the two of you clearly have a passion for what you build, so I'll follow your progress with interest.

Great to have you along.

Jeff

• Like 1