Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

OO9 appeals to me too. I have no logic as to why it should, other than it just looks 'cute'. Last year, a trip to Howes saw me come away with the lovely little Lilliput HoE shunter, followed by a mess-around with foamboard and some Peco track. Ultimately, it got binned as I ran out of space (Bacup progressed quicker than expected) but at some point, something will be built and maybe even something Austrian.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37986-impulse-buy-and-something-to-run-it-on/

Yes it was the line on the embankment, but only because I was using a sloppier PVA mix last night, and didn't want to get any on the track. It wasn't glued down, so it was easy enough to lift. I think it does too. May get the track down and ballasted tonight, if I can get the embankment painted and dry quick enough...

009? I think it dates back to when the club I was a member of in Edinburgh started a 009 layout ('Cearedwyn'), which I was involved in the build of (I can remember one Saturday morning spent threading fishing line through about 20ft of fence posts...) As was the way, the layout was stocked using members stock, and I decided to build some things for it. (It helped that they ran on N-gauge track, which I had at home.) So I had a number of locos and rolling stock at home, and at uni one summer decided to build a layout for it (that would be the one I destroyed in the first post). I think the appeal is partly that it's something a bit different, partly that it has to be kitbuilt, and partly that a self contained system is a lot easier to model without looking silly...

Edit to say - yes, it can be cute, and that is part of the appeal, but I don't think this qualifies. I want one. Or two...

Edited by MichaelW

Rob, I agree with Jeff, that trackwork is looking good. I hope you're pleased with what you have achieved.

Jason, I'd noticed that, and I'm worried that it might be catching... I lifted the track on my narrow-gauge module last night too. Maybe I should check the anti-virus on my computer to make sure it can't spread any further :jester:

Makes you worry what Jeff'll do today when he's fiddling with the wires...

Edit:

And now he's admitted to doing even more. Quick, isolate him in the Bunker till he recovers!

There are certainly some strange forces at work. Probably explains why my ballasting went haywire and I too had to rip up a whole double junction and start again.....

Creepy!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, I read on the excellent Grantham site ...."The other thing I do is to modify pointwork so as to maintain a standard 11' 2" (@45mm) track centre; standard Peco pointwork gives 'too wide' 50mm track centres." I'm always open to ideas and 5mm sounded worthwhile. However, I'm not ripping anything up.

One important thing to note is that 11ft 2" between centres was the minimum - the dimension could be greater and on sharper curvature it had to be in order to maintain correct clearances.

Also worth noting at this stage that the '6ft' distance between running lines and sidings had to be a minimum of 9 feet (or at least 10 feet if certain types of work were to be carried out on such sidings) and it was also 10ft between running lines and any additional lines such as loops or another pair of running lines etc.

• Like 1

There are certainly some strange forces at work. Probably explains why my ballasting went haywire and I too had to rip up a whole double junction and start again.....

Creepy!

That does it, I've reported this thread, and asked for it to be decontaminated. Let's hope we can stop the spread before it reaches Bacup...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One important thing to note is that 11ft 2" between centres was the minimum - the dimension could be greater and on sharper curvature it had to be in order to maintain correct clearances.

Also worth noting at this stage that the '6ft' distance between running lines and sidings had to be a minimum of 9 feet (or at least 10 feet if certain types of work were to be carried out on such sidings) and it was also 10ft between running lines and any additional lines such as loops or another pair of running lines etc.

I'm pleased to hear all this, Mike. There are so many "caveats", exemptions, special cases etc that anyone sticking rigidly to the 11'2" is a bit daft! Now what I'm about to add may worry a few people - but don't panic! My main line track-track varies over a 20' length from 30mm to 32mm - how the hell am I going to cope with that? Think I'll rip the lot up, give up and smoke a pipe!

Thanks for the prototypical low-down, Mike. Always good to hear about the real world.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That does it, I've reported this thread, and asked for it to be decontaminated. Let's hope we can stop the spread before it reaches Bacup...

Now that comment really did make me laugh! At over 1900 posts - and we haven't even got the track fully down yet - maybe this monster needs a good decontamination! Lol.

Gordon - last time I looked at ET you'd just put that lovely airbrush base down. I hope the ballasting hasn't caused too much disruption. I'll have to look at your thread.

Btw, just replaced the section of fiddle yard I ripped up last night. Also ordered another 10 yards of SMP and Richard (at Marcway) is hopeful my turnouts might be ready in the next day or so. We'll see!

Jeff

Am I resposible for spreading the black track plague? We need something uplifting!.......wrong word.....Elevating?,... again wrong word.....Moving? er'm I give up. :mosking: Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Am I resposible for spreading the black track plague? We need something uplifting!.......wrong word.....Elevating?,... again wrong word.....Moving? er'm I give up. :mosking:

I don't think so, Larry - but if you are, we'll send you to Coventry. Or North Wales! Uplifting might be a very appropriate word given the track manoeuvres we've all been involved in! Lol.

I think it's indicative of our quest to "get it right" that we won't just settle for something, even if it looks half-reasonable. Bl**dy frustrating though.

Wonder who'll be next?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Gordon's been quiet today... Let's hope he hasn't caught it again ;)

Yes, let's hope!

Not much done today since replacing that rail. Hoping for another burst of activity when the new rail arrives! It's holding everything up - fiddle yard completion and tunnel mouth construction included.

Sorry - it's all got very boring at the moment. I suppose it's ridiculous to expect to be doing something every day!

Jeff

Je

• RMweb Premium

I meant to ask Jeff, did you dismantle your old layout before starting KL, or leave it up so you can still play trains when the fancy takes you? Being in two separate rooms, I suppose that it is / was possible to do.

• RMweb Premium

I meant to ask Jeff, did you dismantle your old layout before starting KL, or leave it up so you can still play trains when the fancy takes you? Being in two separate rooms, I suppose that it is / was possible to do.

The old layout is still in a spare bedroom. Until about 2 months ago it was fully wired up, so I could still run trains when I felt like it. Since then I've gradually taken away the bits that may be useful in the future, the track bus and wiring has been ripped out and - once a few "stone walls" are removed - the rest can head into a skip. Will wait 'til spring now.

So I can't run any trains at the mo. I think I trashed the wiring as a subconscious "kick" to urge me on with KL and to get trains running there!

Just dug out this little ditty from 2007 - "where sheep may safely graze" - including the rather nice Harburn stone-walling I'll try to rescue.

Jeff

post-13778-0-47541200-1354217323_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

I'm fine and no more set backs to report!

I've made a decision to take up golf again. I used to play twice a week but then injured my back a few years ago. I gave up my club membership and went in for surgery. The operation was fine but I never felt confident enough to start playing again until a few weeks ago after playing with Eldavo and G.M.R of this parish. So the decision was made and yesterday I joined another local club and hope that it will prevent layout construction burn out and a better life balance.

• RMweb Premium

I'm fine and no more set backs to report!

I've made a decision to take up golf again. I used to play twice a week but then injured my back a few years ago. I gave up my club membership and went in for surgery. The operation was fine but I never felt confident enough to start playing again until a few weeks ago after playing with Eldavo and G.M.R of this parish. So the decision was made and yesterday I joined another local club and hope that it will prevent layout construction burn out and a better life balance.

Good for you Gordon. As I said above, I feel like I should be doing something new on the layout every day - and this can't be right. I wonder if it's because what I'm doing is in the public gaze (the Forum), and maybe the same has happened to you (over a longer period). I remember you saying that your "mojo" was wilting a few months ago, though it's since made a comeback.

Being on here is fantastic, but the pressure to "do things" is definitely there. I will always try to oblige, but it's strange feeling guilty about a few quiet days. So enjoy the golf - it'll shiver your timbers if you're playing in the next few days!

Jeff

• Like 1

Good for you Gordon. As I said above, I feel like I should be doing something new on the layout every day - and this can't be right. I wonder if it's because what I'm doing is in the public gaze (the Forum), and maybe the same has happened to you (over a longer period). I remember you saying that your "mojo" was wilting a few months ago, though it's since made a comeback.

Being on here is fantastic, but the pressure to "do things" is definitely there. I will always try to oblige, but it's strange feeling guilty about a few quiet days. So enjoy the golf - it'll shiver your timbers if you're playing in the next few days!

Jeff

Thats a very valid point, Jeff, and I know it's something I felt during my Duke build, and I suspect anyone who posts a "modelling in progress" thread has to face.

I think you just have to crash through that feeling at some point, and remember that the modelling itself is the goal, and the reporting of same, whilst enjoyable, is a tool to help, and a record of progress, not the raison d'être for modelling in the first place.

Consider the forum the sauce that makes the meal taste so good; eating a whole bowl full wouldn't be anywhere near as nice!

Now get back in the bunker - it's been six posts since you made any progress and dinner is getting cold!

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can sympathise with you Jeff; I am constantly aware that there is so much to do and if I sit here and don't bother, then I feel oddly guilty. I have lost my modelling mojo a few times, usually linked to mountain biking trips away and realising just how much I love being out in the countryside (be it the Alps, Lakes, Sierra Nevadas, even the Surrey Hills :D ) and riding a bike. This time of year definitely helps though, as I look out of the window and see it chucking it down again, think to myself just how wet, muddy and horrible the hills will be and 50% of the time, plump to stay at home and model instead.

I love both hobbies with an equal passion and splitting my spare time between them is a nice balance. If I had to choose just one then it would be a close run thing. At this age, it would be biking but in 10 years time when my dodgy knee makes it too painful, then modelling is the one. That may come as a surprise, but then biking takes me to places like the below; Grizedale Tarn, Dollywaggon Pike reflected in it, just as the sun started setting back in October with two of my closest mates, with a fantastic descent back to Grasmere to come.

GrizedaleTarn.jpg

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 3

Ah, those hills which I remember so well. I used to go walking a lot in the Lakes and Scotland but over the last couple of years I have had to cut it drastically. I am still a member of the Long distance walkers but will be giving it up due to problems encountered while out, I just can't keep up anymore and being only 58 it was embarrassing being overtaken by people much older than myself who ask if I'm OK. My last big walk was in the Cuillins on Skye, happy days.

I think that's why I started modelling again, it's a lot easier on the old muscles though there are days when I still struggle to get motivated, however it's good to be inspired on here and try and keep up with others (excluding Larry, I can't be that quick). I think your under more pressure than the rest of us due to your popularity and the fact it is one of the first places we visit on here, I sort of expect to see daily progress now. No pressure there then, LoL.

Look forward to the next instalment.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Lovely photo, Jason. The last time I was up at Grizedale Tarn was May 1998. Very impressive colours and, I agree, being up there is quite a wonderful thing to do.

Jim, I take your comment as a compliment. I don't mind a bit of pressure - in fact it has spurred me on to do a lot more since June than I'd ever have thought possible. Without "the gang" there'd have been no curved viaducts and probably a Peco layout - as discussed before. I think I'm moaning a bit because I'm waiting for track to be delivered, and it's pivotal to the next few stages. I've not been used to "twiddling my thumbs" lately!

Keep kicking my backside lads - I will need it to go and work in the cooling bunker!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff, slow progress can sometimes reap other rewards, I have come to standstill on Trebudoc, the main reason being is the conection between the two boards, anyway I will explain more on MY SITE rather than clog up yours.

Sufice to say that the none working time gave me time to think, :boast: and think I did but outside the box. the result is a new idea. :sungum:

I think that Gordons idea of taking up Golf will serve him well, and we will see a revigerated Tetleys soon, probably with a Golf corse in one corner. :declare:

I have taken up a new hobby of head scratching, aparantly it will help me solve other problems too. :no:

Self backside kicking is not something I have tried! :O well not with my hip problems :no:

Love that pic of the old layout, nice rural scene, not over crowded with Sheep, Cows, Farmers, Walkers Etc. a nice balance of mother nature at its best. Please dig out some more pics again soon.

Cheers for now as it is WHIMP TIME. (remember only whimps sleep)

Andy.

I guess I'm still at that enthusiastic state on here, where I want to do something so I do have a reason to post (yes, I know, I don't need a reason, but it's still nice to be able to) - this evening, I have 2 things to post about, tomorrow, probably none. Once you have a number of followers, I guess the pressure is there, and that is not always a positive, sometimes you do need to take the time out to have a think and do nothing till you know what you want to do. Having another hobby gives you time away to do that thinking.

Like Jim I'm a member of the Long Distance Walkers, and I find walking all day gives you plenty of time to think and get a distant view of things. I guess the same could be true of golf. Though as the result of my last walk was the destruction of a layout, perhaps this isn't such a good thing ;)

Jeff, don't worry about not being able to progress, I'm sure you could spend the time catching up on other things (bailing out the garden?). I think we're more than capable of entertaining ourselves without progress updates. It makes reports on your progress all the better for the anticipation ;)

ps. Jim, I'm 35 and I get overtaken by the same people - who are twice my age! Really is depressing when they just storm off up the hill without being out of breath!

Edited by MichaelW
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your comments Michael. I've plenty of alternatives to modelling - they could keep me busy for weeks if I decided to take a break from it.

One thing you can never stop doing is thinking ahead. So I've thought of how I'll build the formers that will hold the hillside, how to make the tunnel mouths, how steep the hills will be and what detail they'll contain, electrical testing - first continuity (again), then piece by piece after the track bus is fitted etc etc. It won't all work out the way I've planned, but it would be boring if it did!

Anyway, plenty of things to do besides modelling - and I'm sure you'll keep the thread ticking along nicely!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I was only jesting......,she was out badger baiting. The 45mm track-centre to track centre is narrower than the Peco track centres as set by their points. It's probably too late for most of us to alter things now but it does indicate why tracks in photos of the real Greenfield appear to be closer together.

Hope the badgers are Ok

Here's our improving Peco points thread on the old forum for those reading about Jeff's excellent work and who may be interested in improving the Peco offering to correct the problem with badgersmetioned above by Coach

http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=8&t=13627

• RMweb Premium

I remember looking at that thread on the old Forum, long before I ever thought of joining up. I recall there's another thread on the current Forum dedicated to modifying sleeper spacing on standard Peco track.

Btw, is that a picture of you in the signalbox, Dave? And, if I might ask, what was all that business of some guy effectively being a cyber-stalker with you? Who is he? what's he been upto? Fair enough if you don't wish to comment, but PM me if you do.

Cheers,

Jeff