Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

My loco collection is pretty droll and mirrors what actually ran into Greenfield in the early 1950s, plus a few excuses!

Blimey Larry, I'd just finished scanning through your list and you "ripped it up" quicker than a piece of Peco track! :O Good list, too. :sungum:

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Polly,

Bachmann have a weathered 9F due for release next year. It's 92233 and on checking the BR database I see it was Western-based (86G, 86C, 86A) until the early 60s, then - lucky for me - was at 12A, Carlisle Kingmoor from 1964.

Looks like another 9F in the fleet!

Jeff

• Like 1

Blimey Larry, I'd just finished scanning through your list and you "ripped it up" quicker than a piece of Peco track! :O Good list, too. :sungum:

Jeff

I felt it was unfair to hi-jack your thread with my off-topic divvel... :biggrin_mini2:

Here it is again...

My loco collection is pretty droll and mirrors what actually ran into Greenfield in the early 1950s, plus a few excuses!

2 x Black Fives (common and garden on that line)

2 x Crabs, (same as above and also used for double heading).

Austerity, (Lees-based in later years but familiar in early 1950s when based in Yorkshire).

Stanier 8F (A bit rarish but not unknown in early 1950s)

Scot, Rebuilt Patriot, original Patriot (Regular motive power on the expresses)

Jinty (track-tester and based at Newton Heath),

MR Deeley 3F (in lueu of a Lanky 0-6-0 for time being)

L1 tank (Fictional rush hour service extended from Oldham)

Ivatt 2-6-2T (For push pull Delph services)

LMS 2P 4-4-0 (Routinely used for double heading expresses)

LMS Compound (Can't say I ever saw one on the line but a "probable")

2 x Fowler 2-6-4T's (Usual motive power on locals and parcels).

Stanier 2-6-4T (A Lees- 26F engine)

Fairburn 2-6-4T (Another Lees engine)

Fowler 7F 0-8-0 (Lees based)

GCR 2-8-0 (Stockport based engine...Locos from that area came on shed at Lees each day and worked locally before returning)

LNW G2 7F 0-8-0 (Very familiar in early 1950s on general goods and mineral traffic...Even excursions to Belle Vue).

2 x LNE B1's (Seen during diversions off Woodhead line...Also came over from Yorkshire sheds).

Expected new arrivals :

L&YR 2-4-2T (to share push pull Delph service).

LNE D11/1 (Occasionally used on fictional workmans train from Guide Bridge).

LNE 01 (A "wow a bloody foriegner" loco) diverted off Woodhead.

LNE 02 (another "Wow a bloody foriegner"), diverted off Woodhead.

'Fell' loco........(Sheer fantacy engine on test off Peak line).

LNE K3 (Occasionally seen on Standedge line).

L&YR 'A' class 0-6-0 (If Bachmann follows the 2-4-2T with another Lanky engine).

Bachmann and Hornby 4F 0-6-0s. (Familiar on the line, also came up from Stockport)

LNER B17 (A running in turn after overhaul at Gorton on aforementioned workman train from Guide Bridge)

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I don't think we could let you stall Jeff, where would WE be then?? ;-}

No guesses at my teaser yet, I am disappointed! Answer tomorrow morning, where I'll set another one (if you want?!)

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I don't think we could let you stall Jeff, where would WE be then?? ;-}

No guesses at my teaser yet, I am disappointed! Answer tomorrow morning, where I'll set another one (if you want?!)

Andy G

Oi! Behave yourself or I'll send the hit squad down to that Cambridgeshire signal box of yours! At a signal (pun intended) from me - Distant, so you can't catch me (lol) - I'll animate those nudes of yours and set them on you.....

Btw, Andy. I've done all the jobs on my list and I'm sat in front of the fire, twiddling my thumbs. No chance! Haven't even got the track yet... :cry:

Jeff

Jeff, re post 2023 I think the Hornby A4 Merlin is discontinued according to Hattons, I managed to bag one from Gaugemaster / Engine Shed for £110 inc postage so I am pleased to have that. Hornby also produced a Purple / experimental Blue fo 60027 Merlin for Modelfair a few years back and I have seen one, it is nice, I WANT IT. LOOK OUT THE WIFES COMING, must duck before she throws somthing my way! bet its not an A4 though, hahhahah

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, re post 2023 I think the Hornby A4 Merlin is discontinued according to Hattons, I managed to bag one from Gaugemaster / Engine Shed for £110 inc postage so I am pleased to have that. Hornby also produced a Purple / experimental Blue fo 60027 Merlin for Modelfair a few years back and I have seen one, it is nice, I WANT IT. LOOK OUT THE WIFES COMING, must duck before she throws somthing my way! bet its not an A4 though, hahhahah

Andy.

The catalogue is a bit frustrating at the moment...

Bachmann: no new 4MT or 5MT models. But the 9F next year is good news, as is the new 4F.

Hornby: Clive of India (DCC sound) seems to be the only current Brit, no readily available Clans. A4: double tender Bittern (green) delayed.

Good job I'm not buying.

Your wife must be incredibly tolerant of you. Sounds like you spend all her housekeeping money on locos!! :sungum: Good move! :jester:

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Morning Mike.

If you have a look at post #22 on the "Welcome to the S&C route" thread, you'll see that Simon has posted a photo of a Castle pulling a railtour train on the S&C. But you are an evil man, providing me with a pretext to acquire at least one of these lovely locos!

Question is - would a Castle have been seen on the S&C in the 1960s? I'm sure somebody will know the answer...

Cheers,

Jeff

There was definitely at least one 'Castle' working up there on a railtour and I've an idea it was about 1967/68 although it might not have been until the '70s or later. Alas can't find it on the 'Six Bells' website.

As for locos I'm in a rather mixed situation as apart from the 'funnies' what I have is mostly fairly comprehensively split between 'suitable for South Wales Valleys c.1958 - 64' and 'suitable for North &West Line in the same time period. The 'funnies' are too ludicrous in extent to detail but some of them are good for late'50s/early '60s railtour workings while others are totally disconnected from any involvement whatsoever with any area I'm interested in modelling.

Hi Jeff, Has you track arrived yet,? them there ponies in you part of the world are mighty slow.

You are supposed to have some Snow coming your way tommorrow so you will need your thermals in the Bunker, HAHAH.

I have just been reading the article in Hornby Magazine about Annan Road, what a cracking layout and it has given me ideas for that Last Great Project, especiall as I have A4 and Duchess Glasgow and South Wesern area? so more food for thought, never stop thinking, hahah.

I have been busy doing my control panel on T this afternoon.

all the best Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

I had a glance at your panel for T. "Not like Concorde", he says!!

Track arrived shortly after 2pm. Sorted out where the turnouts will go and it looks like I'll be able to maintain a track separation of 30mm into the tunnel (centre to centre = 47mm), which is quite pleasing.

I've got a piece of info for you, so check your PM.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Is it on straight track then Jeff?

It's on a very gentle curve, Mike. Radius around 60". I'll show some photos of the situation - I hope to get 2 turnouts, 2 Cobalts and 3 sections of track in by early afternoon tomorrow.

Hi Andy.

I had a glance at your panel for T. "Not like Concorde", he says!!

Track arrived shortly after 2pm. Sorted out where the turnouts will go and it looks like I'll be able to maintain a track separation of 30mm into the tunnel (centre to centre = 47mm), which is quite pleasing.

I've got a piece of info for you, so check your PM.

Jeff

Got the MP thanks see 2031 :no: Andy.

Looks as though track laying will commence then, or maybe tunnel portal construction if it is just too cold to bear it outside.

Looking back through the posts I can't show a cabinet full of stock as it is all in 5 boxes in various states, unbuilt and part built mainly.

Like you I am waiting for bits too so I can start my Carriage shed, but despite having loads of other stuff to do while waiting I just can't seem to focus on it until I have those bits. I have made a drawing though in preparation.

Looking forward to your further progress now.

Jim

Ahh, I see you will be in the bunker then.

Edited by aberdare

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jim. Yep, I'll be in the bunker. If I turn the heaters on at 7am, I can get the temperature upto 12 - 14C by 9am, so it's not too bad. Went in this afternoon to measure up... it was 6C. But after a few minutes fiddling around, I was so engrossed in what I was doing that I didn't notice it was cool.

Tempting to go out there now, but that's insane!

Btw, I suspect a lot of people have the winter "lethargy". Nothing that a bit of drilling, cutting and fixing won't cure! Hope to show some fantastic photos tomorrow... OK, they won't be fantastic, but they might be interesting!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I’ve just checked Bachmann’s site. No news about the chassis but both models listed are both fitted with the appropriate bits (32-260DC: 90448 DCC fitted, late crest. 32-261: 90441 DCC ready, early crest) so all the hard works done. As for the appearance, the WD was a simple work-a-day engine and one Bachmann got spot on first time. It’s a superb model of a common-or-garden freight engine. Personally I always liked them for the assorted clanks and clonks they produced as they progressed. A result of worn coupling-rod bearings. The bane of maintenance fitters but very impressive to a young, unformed (probably still is) mind. I think that was one of their greatest assets, they could be falling apart but still went out and did the job day after day.

Polly:

New avatar? What’s wrong with a Rebuilt MN? One of the best-looking locomotives ever? (Oh God! I wish I hadn’t said that! I can see the LYRS putting the contract out as I speak (type?) :)

Regards to all

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I’ve just checked Bachmann’s site. No news about the chassis but both models listed are both fitted with the appropriate bits (32-260DC: 90448 DCC fitted, late crest. 32-261: 90441 DCC ready, early crest) so all the hard works done. As for the appearance, the WD was a simple work-a-day engine and one Bachmann got spot on first time. It’s a superb model of a common-or-garden freight engine. Personally I always liked them for the assorted clanks and clonks they produced as they progressed. A result of worn coupling-rod bearings. The bane of maintenance fitters but very impressive to a young, unformed (probably still is) mind. I think that was one of their greatest assets, they could be falling apart but still went out and did the job day after day.

Regards to all

Bill

Evening Bill.

Thanks for that. I think it's the original model - the B1, V2 and A4 all received a chassis upgrade - the WD didn't need one. It's a lovely model - I'm sure you'll be heavily weathering yours? All the WDs I've seen in photos were totally filthy and clapped-out...hardly surprising given the hammering they took.

No date for release yet, though.

Jeff

Evening Bill.

All the WDs I've seen in photos were totally filthy and clapped-out...hardly surprising given the hammering they took.

Jeff

I had to scrape the accumilated gunge/sand/oil off an Austerity 2-8-0 running plate on my first week then afterwards clean the thing. After I'de finished it looked just as bad. They had an expected life span of two years so they did well really. They all sounded clapped out but I noticed the coupling rod was wiping the balance weight on the third axle! That and a few other things maybe accounted for the characteristic bonking sound.....I'm not sure thats the right term though...! Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

I had to scrape the accumilated gunge/sand/oil off an Austerity 2-8-0 running plate on my first week then afterwards clean the thing. After I'de finished it looked just as bad. They had an expected life span of two years so they did well really. They all sounded clapped out but I noticed the coupling rod was wiping the balance weight on the third axle! That and a few other things maybe accounted for the characteristic bonking sound.....I'm not sure thats the right term though...!

Interesting choice of terminology, Larry. Which bit of the bonking cycle are you referring to? Lol.

Btw, just been reading Greenfield. Don't worship too heavily at the shrine of the track centre. I did some further experiments today with my 2 coaches at the entrance (up line)/exit (down line) of the fiddle yard. With a centre-centre of 47mm (30mm between rails), the 2 coaches got within 5mm of each other even using relatively generous adjacent track radii of around 54"/60". A little bit of divergence is often a necessity. I'm sure you realise this!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes Polly, I'll let you in! But no spam cans, please!

Jeff

I was going to say:-

As someone who models 009 and has ridden behind two 9Fs, what is wrong with Spam Cans?

but that post was two pages ago and it was late yesterday evening! How do you do it? Some of us still have to go to work you know! :yes: I have to look every night just to keep up. It is better than the tele, not that I watch it, and more informative than the railway mags I keep being fooled into buying.

Now that you have some track will the number of posts go up or down? Log in tomorrow to find out

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We started with what turned out to be a temporary layout in the dining room but decided that 9ft x 4ft was a bit cumbersome and I didn't have the reach to correct any derailments at the back so this was scrapped and, anyway, we needed the space back to put up the table for Christmas.

When we move, which will be sooner than first anticipated, I will hopefully have an 8.5ft x 4ft layout. I have been desperately trying to get a scenic space in the middle that I can lift out when there are derailments in the fiddle yard. I think I have achieved it. All I have to do now, is exchange contracts, move in, build an extension, do the thousand other jobs that need doing in a new place and I should be good for go.

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with all of that Chris. As for what will happen when I start posting trackwork pics etc... it'll probably quieten down! Ironic really!

Whatever you do - keep the scenic section in your layout. Solid trackwork (which I adored as a youngster) is a real no-no for me. Judging by your previous contributions to this thread, you have a well-developed sense of what you like and want to achieve.

Btw, I'm addicted to the mags too, and find I don't read most of the stuff!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Polly,

Bachmann have a weathered 9F due for release next year. It's 92233 and on checking the BR database I see it was Western-based (86G, 86C, 86A) until the early 60s, then - lucky for me - was at 12A, Carlisle Kingmoor from 1964.

Looks like another 9F in the fleet!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Just had an email telling me that my 9F 92240 is ready. :yahoo:

I'll add photos on Great West Road when it arrives and save one for here. :locomotive:

In the meantime, I've posted a link to pic of 9F 92240 at 81C plus the latest pic of 1466 with crew before the lid is put on.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Polly, seeing that model in the link made me think of the "Southall Boys" featured in the BBC4 documentary "The Last Days of Steam" in 2008. They asked for contributions and bought a 14xx. Is there a link here - am I missing the obvious?

Look forward to the 92240 image - will check your thread as well!

Jeff

No 9Fs yet, still waiting for my 'specials' from two UK sellers, but thought about any Standards I have which may have been used on the S & C and perhaps a Britannia with a line of maroon Staniers would at least look the part. The scenery is from a mix of bits and pieces and may resemble, if you are blind, somewhere near Carlisle... none of this high tree-less moorland here. Not sure about the flat-bottom rail, either, but modernity and all that...

So here is 70033 'Charles Dickens' in later BR condition.

post-7929-0-73530500-1354686027.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3