Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Still no copper caps, Mike. But at least the valve gear's not so prominent! Having said that - I love 9Fs!! :sungum:

Jeff

I believe you may find that the copper-capped loco in my avatar (and on which I am the 'shape' leaning out of the cab - all much easier to see in the larger reproduction of it herewith) did work occasional railtours over the S&C in its preserved years. So clearly a 'must have ;)

post-6859-0-34549700-1354579676_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

*snip*

There's a Merchant Navy on the bottom shelf, my only Southern loco. It's there for show, as it's not DCC fitted.... I couldn't resist buying it when Hornby launched into loco-driven super-detail in 2000 (or was it 1999?).

*snip*

Best wishes,

Jeff

I, too, have committed this sin, Jeff:

post-8688-0-41508400-1354579714_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Last post for the night.

We had the pleasure of meeting Andrew P at Barrowhill 2012 and took great interest in his use of Y turnouts.

You never know what will capture your interest, next in this hobby.

Again, thanks for the welcome and kind comments.

Polly

Evening Bill, glad to see you lurking there! I notice you've changed your avatar to something more angelic - another one of your paintings?

Hope the fishing went well. If you've been perusing the thread you'll have noticed many topics, but little progress by me due to lack of turnouts!

Good to see you back.

Jeff

Hi Jeff and thank you for your welcome!

Hummm! Where to start? I finished up on the Mull of Galloway fishing East and West Tarbet with a mate who lobster pots up there. We couldn't get the boat out but we took some very healthy pollock from the ledges weather permitting. (ranging from cold, wet and windy to stuff this, I'm out of here!). You get a bit nervous when the tides running hard and you realise that the water immediately in front of you drops straight down for 80 feet.

The new avatar is Phoebe, the Fae Winter Queen. Appropriate for the season and from a painting I did back around 2010. She might have a brief rest around Christmas but she's here until her counterpart takes over in spring/summer.

I've just been perusing that amazing collection of yours. Superb although perhaps a bit too clean and a bit short of Mr. Riddles finest. As Andy P said, you can never have enough 9F's! It also makes me realise that I must be one of the rare modellers with more coaches than loco's now that I've got rid of my old split chassis models.

Must do better in the New Year!

I was also interested in his remarks about the 8F. I have'nt run the one I bought yet. I had intended to detail it with one of Brassmaster's kits but if I'm going to have to start searching for rubbing bits as well I might just reallocate it and replace it with a Bachmann WD 2-8-0 when they re-release them (hopefully soon). After all both loco's were considered interchangable by most sheds and were both to be found alternating on the sames services on an almost daily basis. Well worth considering for KL.

southern42:

Welcome to the forum Polly. As Jeff said you don't have to be crazy to post here but it helps if you bear in mind what the Cheshire Cat said to Alice!

Regards to all

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I believe you may find that the copper-capped loco in my avatar (and on which I am the 'shape' leaning out of the cab - all much easier to see in the larger reproduction of it herewith) did work occasional railtours over the S&C in its preserved years. So clearly a 'must have ;)

post-6859-0-34549700-1354579676_thumb.jpg

Morning Mike.

If you have a look at post #22 on the "Welcome to the S&C route" thread, you'll see that Simon has posted a photo of a Castle pulling a railtour train on the S&C. But you are an evil man, providing me with a pretext to acquire at least one of these lovely locos!

Question is - would a Castle have been seen on the S&C in the 1960s? I'm sure somebody will know the answer...

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bill,

You're right about my locos. In general, they are far too clean. As with many things in this hobby, the thought of weathering locos - even those bought pre-weathered - used to fill me with revulsion. But now weathered locos are almost the norm. I agree about the 9Fs. I think I'll get a couple more next year and get them weathered-up - either by myself (I will get an airbrush at some stage, following your advice) or from a supplier such as Grimy Times, mentioned by Polly in her post.

As for the Austeritys... Hell, I'd forgotton about those. Is it just a re-vamped chassis, like the V2 and B1? Still nice-looking locos even though the bodyshell is over 10 years old.

The fishing sounded good. I don't mind water, but your 80' drop off reminded me of a documentary I once saw about the Red Sea. A group of divers swam from one side of the sea-shelf to the other - a distance of a few hundred yards. In between, where the crust had rifted over the millennia, the sea dropped to 5000' deep. Makes me cringe thinking about it!

Welcome to Phoebe - who also happens to be a very curious moon of Saturn, immersed in Saturn's recently discovered outer "ring", several million km from the planet!

Welcome back!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Scott, those locos are an incredibly bright shade of blue. I've seen Sir Nigel Gresley on many occasions (Bittern, too, in blue) but I always thought the blue was a bit more subdued...

Pardon my ignorance - what's the Merchant Navy doing in a blue livery? (Rule 1 always applies... lol!).

Cheers,

Jeff

ps I enjoyed looking at your yard-plans on Stockrington.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I may have some new pictures of turnouts fixed to baseboards in the next day or so. I know you all clamour to see the latest progress (I appreciate the attention)... In the meantime, since it's clearly caused a bit of interest, here's another of my cabinets, including (can you believe it) - a few blue diesels, and my favourite class 108 DMUs (how many times did I travel in those?).

post-13778-0-33980100-1354607561_thumb.jpg

Jason - the wonderful Dewsbury Midland layout played a bit role in BBC North West's version of the "Inside Out" programme last night. I only caught a glimpse, but the programme is on iPlayer, so I'll have another look.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well, I go home for the afternoon, and come back and you lot have put up two pages of stuff!

The loco collections are nice, but being the exccentric that I am, it's all too modern! Pre-Grouping and early LMS is the way forward you hear!

I would love to put up photos, but as I haven't built them yet theres not much to see. I must say that i do like the Bullied airsmoothed locos, and I'll have to get one at some point as one turned up on the Highland Main line during the BR loco exchanges. It was even fitted with tablet catcher.

Right Jeff, what's on the menu today?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Andy, the menu today....

I'm in the house at the mo, in case there are some parcel deliveries - you know what it's like when you get one of those "We called, sorry you weren't at home..." (when you were!).

I'm going to work in the kitchen and solder-up some more switches.

If the relevant parcel arrives, I'll be out in the bunker tracklaying...

So there you go, fingers crossed!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Not starting on the platforms then?

Andy G

If I'd thought about the platforms last week I think I'd have started them - it was your suggestion. I don't want to start too many projects at the same time as, once I get going, I like to concentrate on one main thing at a time. So the rough running order is like this:

Fit curved turnouts to link fiddle yard to viaduct.

Complete fiddle yard.

Fit remaining Cobalt motors and wire up to DC supply.

Clean/adjust all 12 fiddle yard turnout tie bars etc to allow smooth switching.

Wire up droppers to terminal block, from SMP and turnouts.

[Fit track bus should go here, but I'm resisting - once fitted, I will be tempted to "play"]

Sort out tunnel portal dimensions based on mainline separation near viaduct.

Build tunnel mouth.

Complete branchline into fiddle yard area.

That little lot should keep me going for a few weeks!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just opening my latest Ebay purchases :-Prevention is better than cure 1924 LMS. very interesting photos of what could happen, showing lots of wagons in pre-grouping liveries.

BR extracts from rule book 1950, fairly boring reading!

BTC Standard codes for telegrams 1958. Quite interesting, I can now talk in code to you all!

The Most interesting mind is a BR Naming, lettering & telegraph coding of Freight rolling stock, including containers, wagon sheets and ropes! 1958. The last four pages tells you what all the symbols on the side of freight stock mean.

Do you know what the blue spot means on a blue spot fish van? (I didn't!)

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

The new avatar is Phoebe, the Fae Winter Queen. Appropriate for the season and from a painting I did back around 2010. She might have a brief rest around Christmas but she's here until her counterpart takes over in spring/summer.

I've just been perusing that amazing collection of yours. Superb although perhaps a bit too clean and a bit short of Mr. Riddles finest. As Andy P said, you can never have enough 9F's! It also makes me realise that I must be one of the rare modellers with more coaches than loco's now that I've got rid of my old split chassis models.

Must do better in the New Year!

southern42:

Welcome to the forum Polly. As Jeff said you don't have to be crazy to post here but it helps if you bear in mind what the Cheshire Cat said to Alice!

Regards to all

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for the welcome. Don't know whether I have a Cheshire 'grin' but a nice lady selling Ray a few kit bits at Warley commented on my 'smile'. Too embarrasing to give you the full comment but it was most complimentary, especially considering my (free bus pass) age!

Now, what if I were to change my Avatar?

Only one answer really - a 9F - found on Southern and GWR rails. Diplomatic or just plain self-indulgence?

Jeff, like your display of DMUs. We have a few, one of which goes to "South Hall". Someone got that wrong :scratchhead: "but I love it" - Muppet heckling. :sarcastichand:

Love Castles, myself, but none at 81C until preservation days. Ahhhh!

A few Halls and Granges, 2-8-0s and 9Fs and swarms of "tankies". At least that's better from an economic point of view - two tankies for the price of one.big un - and twice as quick to fill up the roads on the layout.

Edit: if I can stop buying the big uns, that is. :laugh:

Back later to catch up on the day's postings.

Edited by southern42

HI Jeff, :stinker:

Just to generalise, :sungum:

I forgot about the WD due for re release, I WONT ONE, I WANT ONE I WANT ONE NOW! :O

I do TO DO list's and then I lose it so don.t do anything! :O

Blue Diesels look good, BUT did china clays really travel on the S & C? :boast:

Blue A4 and the Merchant Navy, I believe a couple of MN were re painted in experimental Blue AND I WONT ONE, I think it was a lovelly livery and I wish it had been adopted by BR. :O

Bachmann have just released Sir Nigel Gresley in BR Blue and it is stunning and yes you have guessed it I WONT ONE. :O

and finally Jeff are you having the afternoon off ?

Cheers Andy, P.S. Hi to Poly, if you are not mad as a hatter now you will be in 3 or 4 pages time, hahhahahhhhhheheeeeeee :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I like a 'to do' list, I've made lots of them :jester:

Seriously, I know you will stick to this, it must be the secret of your spectacular progess!

Les

Thanks Les. Though I don't feel I've done much over the last week or so! If I try and have a rest, the slave-drivers on here soon sort me out! It does keep you going, though.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I'm sure you were sane a few months ago! Must be the company you keep! :O

Still no delivery van, though - in these parts of the northern wilderness - it often doesn't appear 'til well after noon.

Just remember - you can't buy too many OO locos as you have those O gauge ones to buy in the near future.

Jeff

Morning all... I'm a bit bewildered, Jeff has cheerfully admitting to not making much progress, yet there's pages of posts to read... Oh well, it fills in the time at work.

Interesting to see different approaches to storing stock - all mine is either kept in the original boxes, or have been transferred into large stock trays - no way to see it, but then it is mostly new fangled deseasals, so not that great to admire...

Hope you get your track today Jeff, how's the control panel coming along?

I managed to get some strip (but no girders) to work on the bridge on Friday night, then OH appeared, closely followed by mum, so we spent the weekend working in the garden. Might get to make some progress tonight - I have my camera on charge to cope with the copious pictures...

Scott, those locos are an incredibly bright shade of blue. I've seen Sir Nigel Gresley on many occasions (Bittern, too, in blue) but I always thought the blue was a bit more subdued...

Pardon my ignorance - what's the Merchant Navy doing in a blue livery? (Rule 1 always applies... lol!).

Cheers,

Jeff

ps I enjoyed looking at your yard-plans on Stockrington.

You can put that down to the harsh sunlight at Stockrington, Jeff - those are bog standard Bachmann A4 SNG's, one renamed/numbered 60012 Commonwealth of Australia - under less harsh light, all is normal:

post-8688-0-16124900-1354619364.jpg

The MN is Canadian Pacific, from that same early Hornby release in the 2000's as yours - the match for Bachmann's shade of BR Express blue is uncanny! Just what it is doing in the NE of England in the early 1950's remains to be explained....

Regards

Scott

• RMweb Premium

I like the terminology Michael. She's still OH and not yet SWMBO!

I don't feel like I've done anything constructive in the last week or so. I've clarified my thoughts on a number of topics - especially with the contributions on here. Because I've not laid any track for a while (the last being the 3 sections I'd ripped up in the FY) it seems like I've stalled. Probably a good thing as it gives you the "hunger" for the next task.

I'm individually switching each turnout in the yard. Every turnout on the layout has its own switch, but I paired together about 16 turnouts in the main section, which made sense. 6 more switches in position, just need to get some wire soldered to them.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Scott, my MN is 35023 Holland Afrika Line. Again, don't know what it's doing up here! Actually, it could have been 999999 Man on the Moon for all I cared in 2000. The model was revolutionary for UK RTR and was to be purchased asap!

I gather the temperature in Perth has been in the 30's. I watched some of the Test Match - that SA team is deceptively good - and the weather looked gorgeous. Freezing here - still frost on the road outside my house. Thanks for the different angle on the A4s. I like the Hornby green A4s - may get a couple (just for the sake of it) next year. My wishlist is growing...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

HI Jeff, :stinker:

Just to generalise, :sungum:

I forgot about the WD due for re release, I WONT ONE, I WANT ONE I WANT ONE NOW! :O

I do TO DO list's and then I lose it so don.t do anything! :O

Blue Diesels look good, BUT did china clays really travel on the S & C? :boast:

Blue A4 and the Merchant Navy, I believe a couple of MN were re painted in experimental Blue AND I WONT ONE, I think it was a lovelly livery and I wish it had been adopted by BR. :O

Bachmann have just released Sir Nigel Gresley in BR Blue and it is stunning and yes you have guessed it I WONT ONE. :O

and finally Jeff are you having the afternoon off ?

Cheers Andy, P.S. Hi to Poly, if you are not mad as a hatter now you will be in 3 or 4 pages time, hahhahahhhhhheheeeeeee :locomotive:

Hi Andy

I don't know about being mad as a hatter, but with a middle name like Wendy, do you ever grow up - different story? :smile_mini2:

I remember, a while back, seeing a B&W photo of a West Country (Wilton?) on the web looking very pale. I wondered, at the time, if it was in blue livery or just over exposed or if the photo itself was just affected by the ravages of time.

A blue Wilton? Wilton Number 3? We have Wilton in SR malachite green with go faster stripes (a Grimy Times renumbering job) and BR green. A blue one would be excellent. Any thoughts / evidence on this?