Bachmann BR Blue/Grey Mk1 & Mk2A Coaches - Forthcoming Releases

southernelectric

Does anyone know what the running numbers will be (or where I can find them) for the following new release BR Mk1 and Mk2A coaches from Bachmann?

39-025F Mk1 2nd Class Corridor

39-050F Mk1 2nd Class Open

39-175D Mk1 Full Brake

39-340A Mk2A 1st Class Corridor

39-360A Mk2A 2nd Class TSO

39-360B Mk2A 2nd Class TSO

39-380A Mk2A 2nd Class Open Brake

If anyone knows or can point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated!

• RMweb Gold

From past experience probably the first time we know what the numbers are when they are shipped with the details being reported on MREMag.

Lack of numbers being published is not just restricted the blue and grey coaches - it's to most of the coaches produced by Bachmann. In many cases when new crimson & cream Mark.1s are announced they don't even advise the regional prefix - a real pain in the you know where when you are trying to build a train for one particular region and want to pre-order from the local hobbyshop.

Please, Mr. Bachmann, give us some more detailed information in the catalogues or on the web site listing. Many thanks in advance,

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

From past experience probably the first time we know what the numbers are when they are shipped with the details being reported on MREMag.

Lack of numbers being published is not just restricted the blue and grey coaches - it's to most of the coaches produced by Bachmann. In many cases when new crimson & cream Mark.1s are announced they don't even advise the regional prefix - a real pain in the you know where when you are trying to build a train for one particular region and want to pre-order from the local hobbyshop.

Please, Mr. Bachmann, give us some more detailed information in the catalogues or on the web site listing. Many thanks in advance,

Keith

The Bachmann catalogue for 2012/13 is now out so I grabbed a copy - I can just about make out, for example, an M running number for the forthcoming 39-175D Full Brake in BR Blue/Grey, but I don't know if the running numbers shown in the pictures are any indication of what will actually be released? I wish Bachmann would put them on their website!

The catalogue picture is no guarantee of anything as the illustration is often based on a previous release. I'm particularly interested in what regional prefix they will have as the Mk2s released to date covered a mish-mash of regions. Of course, they can always be renumbered, but surely that spoils the fun of trying to assemble an authentic rake from out of the box examples? :no:

Personally the numbers don't bother me, I just welcome the chance to build up a second Mk2a TSO rake without the need to resort to GreedBay. I can manage transfers if I want to change the numbers although given their size and my recent prescribing of reading glasses I don't think it'll matter too much.

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Renumbering a Bachmann coach is not difficult. There are plenty of people here willing to help those who have never done it before and its a useful thing to learn to do.

Cheers

Jim

Well there are some of us who will renumber them if they arnt the correct number Jim, however there are people who wont buy because it isnt a certain number, renumbering is easy, but not everyone knows how to but it could be for any number of reasons

NL

Jim your 100% on the mark there - all for the price of a sheet of transfers (Fox and Modelmaster? do regional prefix groups as well) a wee bit care getting the old number off and a shot of Klear Kote.... Try waiting around for SC prefix stock......!

• RMweb Premium

Blue/grey stock also appeared in service in its later days without regional prefix letters in some instances, particularly once the business sectors had kicked in and the regions done away with. For those who don't wish to renumber their coaches a simple removal of the regional letter might be another quick fix.

For me, it's more a case of getting more coaches with different running numbers as opposed to forming 'authentic' regional rakes. Having said that, I am somewhat over-subscribed on 'E' prefix Mk1's at the moment so more 'M' prefix Mk1's will be welcomed for sure!

• RMweb Premium

I'd suggest Fox Transfers might be an easier and quicker option than waiting to see if Bachmann produce what you require at some future time.

I can understand why some prefer to renumber all their coaches. You could spend years waiting for manufacturers to release enough differently numbered vehicles of the same type so that you can build up an authenticly numbered rake.

Personally unless its 0 gauge I dont really feel pressed into having to have different coach numbers - certainly with N its pointless, less so with 00/P4. They dont exactly jump out at you on a layout unless you regularly get your eyes down to track level and even then all eyes tend to be on the locomotive not the coach numbers ! (and thats when stationary let alone moving).

There is modelling and then there is modelling! If youre the sort of modeller that would be kept awake at night because they have identical numbers on their coaches then fine go for it but practice on older vehicles first.

Putting a different number on either side of the coach would immediately double the number of running numbers available, and would mean that many rakes on a model would not have a duplicated number at all, or offer more regional prefixes available at the same time.

If the TSOs are as popular as the 2006 batch which sold out very quickly and now command prices of around £30, then people will be panic buying for them! where have I heard that before ...

NL

I doubt the new batch will cost much less though, seems mid £20's is going rate for new coaches.

If the TSOs are as popular as the 2006 batch which sold out very quickly and now command prices of around £30, then people will be panic buying for them! where have I heard that before ...

NL

The thing is though that the TSOs didn't sell out straight away. Even in late 2009 Hattons had them at around £15 - £16 which is why they suddenly did sell quickly. Hence the reason that Bachmann have taken so long to do a new batch, it took nearly 4 years to shift all of the first ones.

Even so you are quite correct about one individual on ebay who seems to think that Buy It Now at £30 is acceptable. Personally I hope they never manage to sell one ever again and get stuck with them. Rails have them currently at £24.25 pre-order, not too bad by this year's prices.

I can manage transfers if I want to change the numbers although given their size and my recent prescribing of reading glasses I don't think it'll matter too much.

At least most blue and grey stock had 100mm high numbers, you should try swallow livery which shrunk down to 75mm high!

• RMweb Premium

I'll be after 4 TSOs, an FK or FO and a BSK.

The BSK is readily available now from the earlier batches and often at a substantial discount. You might be lucky and also find an unsold FK at the same time.

Jim your 100% on the mark there - all for the price of a sheet of transfers (Fox and Modelmaster? do regional prefix groups as well) a wee bit care getting the old number off and a shot of Klear Kote.... Try waiting around for SC prefix stock......!

Wouldn't go near the above transfers when you can get REPLICA rub downs with all the prefixes so easily. The old numbers can be removed with gentle scrape of a curved scalpel blade, the new ones take 10 seconds to add, no backing film etc. Then weather your coach and job done. We do loads this way.

Wouldn't go near the above transfers when you can get REPLICA rub downs with all the prefixes so easily. The old numbers can be removed with gentle scrape of a curved scalpel blade, the new ones take 10 seconds to add, no backing film etc. Then weather your coach and job done. We do loads this way.

are these complete 5 digit numbers or indivudiual digit transfers?

• RMweb Premium

Individual digits with letter prefixes for SC, Sc, S, E, M and W at the bottom. Highly reccomended here and useful for all sorts of jobs.

Even so you are quite correct about one individual on ebay who seems to think that Buy It Now at £30 is acceptable. Personally I hope they never manage to sell one ever again and get stuck with them. Rails have them currently at £24.25 pre-order, not too bad by this year's prices.

TBH £30 for a currently unobtainable product doesn't sound like the worst rip-off imaginable if the re-releases will be just shy of £25 each at discount prices. There are far worse examples of profiteering out there!

Nowt wrong with Fox Transfers I've never had any reason to use anything else however each to their own.

TBH £30 for a currently unobtainable product doesn't sound like the worst rip-off imaginable if the re-releases will be just shy of £25 each at discount prices. There are far worse examples of profiteering out there!

I must admit that comparing the ebay price to the re-release price shows it to be now not too bad. What got on my goat was when all the other Mk2 stock was at £15.00 at a Liverpool shop and the TSOs were double that price.

Regarding transfers I personally hate rub-down ones and prefer Pressfix (so much so that I ordered 3 sheets, when I heard they may well be stopping production, even though I don't currently need them). As Bob says each to their own but I was slightly surprised when someone said good riddance to Pressfix transfers on that thread. If someone doesn't like that sort of transfer just don't use them but at least give the rest of the community the chance to make up their own mind.

Guest jim s-w

Hi all

Ignoring the numbers I think Bachmann are in a bit of a dilemma here. The original mk2s didn't sell all that well at first, many people holding off and waiting for a second batch because the application of the livery was wrong. AFAIKA Bachmann are aware of this so what do they do?

Produce this batch with the corrected livery for the modellers who know about mk2 coaches? Or match them to the previous batch for consistancy to appease those who don't know abou the error (or are not fussed)?

They are aware the livery error damaged sales but a batch of coaches where the grey doesn't match already out there might equally damage sales

Cheers

Jim

Archived