The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Ivo Peters Bentley

Chris Chewter

• RMweb Gold

I was looking at the cars in my local preservation railway, a load of the usual Fords, Vauxhalls and Golfs, and I thought how unusual it would be for someone to roll up in a prestige vehicle. And that got me thinking about Ivo Peters Bentley. Was his Bentley seen as just any old car, or did it raise the odd eyebrow to see such a beast parked up on the lineside? It then got me thinking what the modern equivalent would be? Would it be like seeing someone roll up in a ten year old Rolls Royce?

Given that people kept their cars much longer back then, thinking of a modern equivilent was a bit tricky. Thought it would be fun to throw it out there to see what some of you guys came up with!

Wasn't he also a motor sport enthusiast or am I imagining that?

It would have to be a British car, and for real classics you might have to go back some way (such as a Mk2 Jag or Aston DB4) - what about a more recent Morgan?

I'd say a Roller or Bentley would be a bit too nouveau riche these days. As Rod say it would have to be something British, distinctive, somewhat of a throwback to earlier and have comparative rarity. I'd say a Bristol Series 6 would be a contender.

The Mk VI Bentley wasn't too much of a rarity.....then or now....probably chosen as being a proper, well-engineered,comfortable, fairly quick touring car. [even if a tad heavyweight?}

Andy may be right in citing a Bristol as a modern equivalent.....although if Mr Peters bought the car new[ish] then, for today I would expect a similar [utterly sensible, in other words] character to drive a larger BMW, or Mercedes?

Morgans don't make comfortable touring cars....back in the days of the Bentley, the Morgan was a [cheaper] viable alternative sports car [to the likes of Triumph, MG and A/H?]...with all the discomfort that went with it.

Another 'classic' [sorry, hate that erm description]....that may have been considered, post-MK VI, could be the Jensen? The 541, with it's Rolls-derived engine, or the later CV8 would likley have filled the bill as a sensible, quick, well made [grand?] tourer?

Or the later Alvis [with Graber bodywork?]

Sadly, we no longer see modern equivalents of Bentley's contemporary rivals, such as Armstrong-Siddeleys [ a Sapphire being the family transport of a family I was once fostered to]...or Mk VII Jags..all from the days when BMW simply made bubble cars [i forgot the 501...sorry]...

Probably by today's standards, the modern Ivo would be in a large 4x4 of some description...?

Ivo's Bentley was a MkIV and while he was using it to follow Donald Beale and Peter Smith all over the Mendips it would still have been seen as a prestige car. I think he dabbled in motor racing before the war.

Classic cars and railway nostalgia seem to go together - so long as it's not chucking it down I always try to use my old Rover P6 or Cooper S to get to the various preserved lines... I wish it was possible to park closer to the line though, it's not that easy in some places!

I guess a top of the range Range Rover would be a good modern equivilant.

• RMweb Gold

Ivo's Bentley was a MkIV and while he was using it to follow Donald Beale and Peter Smith all over the Mendips it would still have been seen as a prestige car. I think he dabbled in motor racing before the war.

Classic cars and railway nostalgia seem to go together - so long as it's not chucking it down I always try to use my old Rover P6 or Cooper S to get to the various preserved lines... I wish it was possible to park closer to the line though, it's not that easy in some places!

I guess a top of the range Range Rover would be a good modern equivilant.

Nah, too modern - don't forget that he was still using the Bentley into the 1970s - so possibly a first series Range rover (although a bit too nouveau riche I reckon)

I'd say a Roller or Bentley would be a bit too nouveau riche these days. As Rod say it would have to be something British, distinctive, somewhat of a throwback to earlier and have comparative rarity. I'd say a Bristol Series 6 would be a contender.

Oh a big Range Rover would be more suited - good and high to view over hedges, and strong enough to form a platform for photography.

I had hoped this was about 'our' vehicles creeping into photographs, like my Motor caravans http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/acontainer/e7c22289 http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightlinercontainer/e2fee06b5

Paul Bartlett

I'm biased, but I reckon my Rover 75 (2.5 V6 Connie SE) might fit the bill today? Top (ish) of the range, comfy, all the toys; now from a defunct builder but well loved by enthusiasts of the marque, and very well supported by the online forum Owner's Club. I get the usual "Rover knockings" from others when I tell them what I've got, but if I say nothing and they unsuspectingly have a ride are usually impressed by it. And its lpg converted so very cheap to run too! Its predecessor, the Rover Sterling 827 was also well appointed, and is rare nowadays too.

Stewart

Ivo's Bentley was a MkIV

definitely a Mk.VI [6, not 4]....there was't really a Mk IV, the marks beginning at V[5]....prior to that, the 'Derby' Bentleys were the 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 litre types.

After the Mk VI came the R-type...

I believe the Mk VI was the firs to come with factory-made steel bodywork, rather than just coachbuilt.......until recently there was a Mk VI being used as a daily driver near here......[plus, I spotted one 'for sale' at that old car emporium in Thornton Dale......silly price too! For a big car, it wasn't too big inside...certainly not in the Volvo 740 stakes!]

bit if a bus really....so one needs to think about which of today's cars are really a bit bus-like?

• RMweb Gold

bit if a bus really....so one needs to think about which of today's cars are really a bit bus-like?

MPVs - deliberately and unashamedly, but, although I've never driven one, apparently often pleasing to drive. Everything and the kitchen sink and the neighbours bambini all fit. Posh ones have captain's chairs and conference facilities, I'm told! Ideal for passing the hours between trains on remote lines.

definitely a Mk.VI [6, not 4]....there was't really a Mk IV, the marks beginning at V[5]....prior to that, the 'Derby' Bentleys were the 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 litre types.

After the Mk VI came the R-type...

I believe the Mk VI was the firs to come with factory-made steel bodywork, rather than just coachbuilt.......until recently there was a Mk VI being used as a daily driver near here......[plus, I spotted one 'for sale' at that old car emporium in Thornton Dale......silly price too! For a big car, it wasn't too big inside...certainly not in the Volvo 740 stakes!]

Sorry Alastair... yes you're right, it's a MkVI which is what I thought I was typing! I even had one of Ivo's books open at the relevant page when I wrote that!

The Bentley was perfect, so he said, for covering distances fast, in comfort in a decent size car. Today I would choose a BMW M5 - a sensibly sized vehicle with power to spare. Certainly if you had asked the question in the previous decades then the answer would have been different.

I can't imagine seeing the old boy today in a "Hip - Hop" special which is what modern Bentley's are.....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I'm still wondering which of these various suggestions would look alright 'in place' and acceptable for the area parked outside Ivo's abode in the Royal Crescent in Bath :O :scratchhead:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=royal+crescent+bath&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kQprT-e3GsOk0QXJtJTbBg&ved=0CJQBELAE&biw=1069&bih=986

Archived