The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Hot pies - plus VAT

Only the '79 one. Quite frankly I wondered what all the fuss was about. LA, Washington and New York had lines.

Besides that was a different problem. The UK and Italy suffer from periodic Gas Delivery Driver Strikes (or threats of them).

Different thing, Debs.

Best, Pete.

Sorry, Debs, I had to take a call and wasn't as clear in my answer as I could have been.

In both the years you mention there was definite action by OPEC to substantially reduce supply to North America and Europe (the UK reissued the WW2 ration tickets - which were not actually used if I remember). There was an absolute shortfall of Supply to Demand.

That is NOT the case in the UK right now. There is no shortfall to normal Demand.

There IS, however, a shortfall in Supply to an unnecessary exaggerated Demand.

Trust that this clarifies my understanding.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, Debs, I had to take a call and wasn't as clear in my answer as I could have been.

In both the years you mention there was definite action by OPEC to substantially reduce supply to North America and Europe (the UK reissued the WW2 ration tickets - which were not actually used if I remember). There was an absolute shortfall of Supply to Demand.

That is NOT the case in the UK right now. There is no shortfall to normal Demand.

Best, Pete.

I chucked away my Petrol Coupons from that episode some years back - they came with a car which I bought (you had a legal obligation to transfer the coupons with the car if you sold it but that had ended by the time I sold it on).

As far as supply and demand is concerned the UK is in an usual position currently of producing at refineries more petrol than the domestic market is consuming - hence we are exporting refined petrol (and importing diesel). The problem is not so much in availability to the market as the way the petrol retail market is behaving by keeping down stocks to save money (quite understandable in the present economic climate) and thus lacking any flexibility to respond to sudden peaks in demand. And presumably that reaches back through the supply chain - e.g. Lindsey only normally supplies to Theale the quantities of petrol it needs to serve current market demands plus a small stockholding.

Best, Pete.

:sungum: Of course Pete.

I should learn to use more smileys.....one 'tongue' t`was perhaps not enough for my little-tease. :jester:

Guest bri.s

i work for a smallish local bakery in my area and think this and the rise in fuel costs will kill alot of small businesses. i agree that chipshops should not have to pay, also he should be helping theses businesses in there time of need not finding more ways of taxing them soon there will be no small localised businesses left just nation wide chains, i can also understand that the goverment need to find money for the black hole of dept the country has but it also needs small businesses because its alright taxing us to death but a jobs a job and where not on dole claiming social the more jobs big or small the more tax he has from us anyway a littles better than nothing.

Why do you think some otherwise 'respectable' or 'upmarket' foreign food restaurants still have a 'take-away' counter, and put up with inebrieted customers walking/staggering in off the street at closing time [usually just as I'm trying to shepherd my wife/daughter out through the same door after paying a small fortune for a sit-down meal?

As I undertsand it, the take-away is VAT free whereas the chancellor takes a slice out of the pie served to you at the table.....

Now far be it for me to suggest that all 15cwt of lamb biriani was dutifully divied up into VAT paid or VAT free to the last 1/2oz, but there must be an awful temptation to submit that at least half of it went as 'take-away' with a more favourable tax outcome!

Doug

Our local takeaway offers a 10percent discount on takeaway over the sit down version, so in reality they still pocket half the vat

Oh dear, oh dear, I fear I have arrived too late to add to this interesting and informative debate, which of course is close to the hearts of the "three amigos".

Mind you, I don't think I can add anything sensible, just this observation which came to me as I stared into a shop window earlier today (and apologies for misquoting the man regarded in a recent poll as the "Greatest Briton").

Never in the history of the British Take-away (including of course the exalted pie and pasty) has the saturated fat of so many, been taxed so much, to provide "fat-cat" bonuses for so few.

• RMweb Premium

In Winnipeg there are three levels of sales tax: GST, PST and hotel levy. Some provinces have HST but I thought that was something that only applied to women.

We have HST as well - lots of them, must be one of the best Diesel trains ever.

Or even HRT.

HST are what Kent and the Cotswolds suffer from.

I`ve had that 'APT' :mosking: ........packed full of clever ideas in the 70`s, but suffering woeful under-financing, made to enter service prematurely with constant difficulties with my undercarriage, had trouble keeping on an even keel; even making some people feel physically sick, only to end up becoming withdrawn, and being shunted off well before my time. :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

There is no shortfall to normal Demand.

Best, Pete.

And thank you all those idiots that panic bought last week, because when I went to put my usual £40 worth of diesel in the tank at my usual supermarket filling station yesterday, Instead of the normal queue to the 12 pumps, about half had no customers at all and I was able to fill up much quicker than usual.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Had the price stabilized too?

Best, Pete.

Well, diesel was the same price as before the panic but unleaded looked a bit higher in most garages I passed, however I think there has been a general closing of the gap between unleaded and diesel in the UK in the past weeks anyway.

Cheers

Keith

Archived