The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Hot pies - plus VAT

Guest Natalie Graham

Regarding the petrol issue, does anyone really think that no-one would be filling up their cars and petrol cans ahead of a possible/likely strike by fuel tanker drivers, regardless of what the government ministers say?

Regarding the petrol issue, does anyone really think that no-one would be filling up their cars and petrol cans ahead of a possible/likely strike by fuel tanker drivers, regardless of what the government ministers say?

It is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly, but most right-minded people would probably wait until they knew when the strike was going to be, if at all. The panic buyers have caused real problems for the people who actually were needing to fill up. Its almost impossible that any strike could occur until after easter.

I feel in particular that the government (& particularly Maud) is irresponsible in suggesting stockpiling fuel in cans, other than what might be a sensible amount to keep for gardening appliances.

You cant help but thinking that this is all a smokescreen to divert attention from the granny/pasty tax etc. And also the 'dodgy dinners' stuff, it stinks! The next general election cannot come soon enough. It would be bad enough if this was being inflicted on us by a 'majority' government but even worse that its by one that got in pretty much by default.

• RMweb Gold

I think you are right Russ, what really annoys me is the number of people in these queues who are putting in less than £10 worth of fuel to top up the tank. WHY?

Exactly, I dont think the advice to top up at half full rather than empty is wrong either, living now in a rural area where fuel stations are frequently 30+ miles apart and definitely not 24 hrs this is a sensible approach. Of course it spreads the cost too as you are only ever putting in half a tank!

But reading reports of people squeezing £8 in WHAT? - surely only justified if you have a (small) bike or scooter???

what really annoys me is the number of people in these queues who are putting in less than £10 worth of fuel to top up the tank. WHY?

Surely it's just another indication of greedy, selfish and ungenerous attitudes in this country and how widespread they have become?

If the strike does go ahead and has it's desired effect we shall no doubt also see grannies wrestling in the aisles of supermarkets over loaves of bread.

I just love today's "me first" and "I'm alright Jack" attitudes to life - not.

• RMweb Gold

Surely it's just another indication of greedy, selfish and ungenerous attitudes in this country and how widespread they have become?

With the spineless self serving politicians/government we have now setting the example- who could be suprised at that?

= monkey see, monkey do!?

• RMweb Premium

I think you are right Russ, what really annoys me is the number of people in these queues who are putting in less than £10 worth of fuel to top up the tank. WHY?

I heard on the radio today that this panic buying has generated an extra £30M in tax revenue - more media hype. As the dust settles after this strike that hasn't been announced yet, and people go back to running around quarter/half full then they won't be buying fuel for a few days, thus resulting in a net tax loss of £30M.

Admittedly, there will be some extra tax generated from the headless chickens who insist on carrying the extra weight of a full tank for a 10 mile commute and the 15 minute wait queueing with the engine running for the next £10 topup.

I do 30,000 miles per year, most of which is short distance and regularly passes fuel stations, I often run with less than 150 miles worth of fuel in the tank. Until an actual strike date is announced, I won't be changing my habits.

Cheers,

Mick

The fuel strike doesn't bother me too much. When all is said and done, the Police will stop these idiots taking all the fuel and sitting on it if stocks run low, just like last time in 2000. People who really need it, like medical staff, and workers serving essential industries will be allowed fuel. I was allowed fuel on the basis that I serve the food industry and need to be able to travel to food factories to fix machines and help keep food production going. It did get a bit worrying when all the garages were empty and I was running out of fuel. We had to tell customers we couldn't attend their sites. People who panic buy don't realise how it can have a serious knock-on effect further down the line affecting industries and services on which we all depend.

Posted · Hidden by Xerces Fobe2, March 30, 2012 - Multiple post -very slow response from forum this morning
Hidden by Xerces Fobe2, March 30, 2012 - Multiple post -very slow response from forum this morning

I have always thought that politicians were very pieous – I was obviously wrong :lol: :lol:

XF

Mick, I agree with most of what you say - we don't use a tank of fuel in a normal *month* of commuting - unless we're doing a long journey the car is rarely over a quarter full, topping up £20 or so twice a month.....but:

I heard on the radio today that this panic buying has generated an extra £30M in tax revenue - more media hype. As the dust settles after this strike that hasn't been announced yet, and people go back to running around quarter/half full then they won't be buying fuel for a few days, thus resulting in a net tax loss of £30M.

Have to say this one does appeal to the conspiracy theorist in me - yes it will all work out in the end but the net loss will be in a different financial period (whichever way you cut that - most companies financial years run April-March, the government's tax year end is the start of April, this will also be the end of the first quarter of 2012 for any non-financial stats) - having some good news and paying forward some bad is a problem for another time.

The boost in revenue/sales could well be enough to turn a bad news story about the economy into a mildly positive one - ready for next time they need to pull attention from something bad that somebody did/is doing/wants to do...

I'm going off to make a tinfoil hat and have a nice cup of coffee now. ;)

If the strike does go ahead and has it's desired effect we shall no doubt also see grannies wrestling in the aisles of supermarkets over loaves of bread.

I just love today's "me first" and "I'm alright Jack" attitudes to life - not.

I'm waiting for the bleating to start when the same morons who are taking all the fuel can't get their provisions because the shops are empty due to haulage companies having no fuel.

Is it just me but this kind of thing as outlined above posts seems almost uniquely limited to the English and Italian markets. I wonder why?

Best, Pete.

Were you not in the U.S during the `73 and `79 fuel crises? :P

Archived