New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Premium

I have a sound fitted 73 which constantly stops and starts, clean track and wheels, has anyone had pick up problems ?

Somewhere up thread, there are various postings about pickups and how to improve them.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mick, sadly i cant find any.

Type pickups in the search box and then click on google search and scroll down to "This topic" and highlight it. Then click the seacrh icon.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I have a sound fitted 73 which constantly stops and starts, clean track and wheels, has anyone had pick up problems ?

I had that problem, on mine there was an excess of lubricant on the pickups, if you remove the bogie frames you will find split axles with a brass bearing on each side with a wiper resting on each bearing, clean the wipers and bearings, align the wipers and the running will be transformed.

I had that problem, on mine there was an excess of lubricant on the pickups, if you remove the bogie frames you will find split axles with a brass bearing on each side with a wiper resting on each bearing, clean the wipers and bearings, align the wipers and the running will be transformed.

Thanks will do.

Thanks for that. After consigning my 73's to the back of the cupboard for 10 months I got one out yesterday. It still ran like a bag of spanners. After re- attaching bits that had fallen off for the third time - or is it the fourth? I cant remember,  I left it until  reading your post.

By turning the bogie as far as it will go you can gently lever off the bogie frame with a screw driver from above. Next ease open the clips between the wheels and the bogie will come off.

Wipe off as stated not forgetting the inside of the bogie frame. Then reassemble.

Due to the nature of the loco be prepared to have some bits detach themselves. I had a brake shoe and piston from one bogie come off. The other went ok.

What a result! 10 laps + with out so much as a hiccup!

Paul

Many thanks, done as you described and a vast difference in running on both locos. The bogie housings were dripping with oil/melted grease. Both locos had not been lubricated since being taken out of boxes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder if they come with correct colours and livery details. They did promise that the lights will work in the correct directions on DCC and the cab lights would be able to be switched off. I'm not going to be the one to buy one and try it to see.

I wonder if they come with correct colours and livery details. They did promise that the lights will work in the correct directions on DCC and the cab lights would be able to be switched off. I'm not going to be the one to buy one and try it to see.

Well they avoided BR Blue this time...

I wonder if a JA will ever appear in a later livery. There seems to be an obsession from both Hornby and Dapol to do JA's in green at the moment. 

• Tempfix

Wonder if they come with glued parts this time.  I hardly dare touch the blue 73 lest any more bits fall off it.

I've had the same problem. I fitted extra pickups following Temeraire's excellent advice, and all manner of bits pinged off the first one. I found all but one brakeshoe but it was a real fiddle getting them all back on. When I came to the second 73 I carefully went all over the joins of the detail bits on the bogie with a tiny paintbrush and some mekpak before I took it apart. So, far nothing missing.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello.  I'm trying to work out which of the newly announced Class 73s would have been the earliest to appear in real life.  Would it have been "Class 73 BR Green Grey/Green Sole Bar - E6004" or would it have been "Class 73 BR Green NYP - E6002"?

Cheers

Jon

Hello.  I'm trying to work out which of the newly announced Class 73s would have been the earliest to appear in real life.  Would it have been "Class 73 BR Green Grey/Green Sole Bar - E6004" or would it have been "Class 73 BR Green NYP - E6002"?

Cheers

Jon

I believe E6002, but not sure how long it ran before getting the grey/green sole bar. I was talking with someone who suggested "a couple of weeks"! he say them when they were new and was surprised when there was a livery addition so quickly.

Luke