New OO gauge Class 73

It would be nice if they run better out of the box, instead of having to work on them to get them to run correctly.

With a bit of luck, the next batch might have been sorted out electrically, as they did with the 2nd batch of Class 68's.

• RMweb Premium

I am eyeing off one of the First GBRf ones, but have so many reservations about the electrical properties of these models, I'm wavering.

You could always run it on diesel ;)

• Like 2

Hmm. Sunk £99 into one of the Hattivias/Olons FGW types. Hopefully this isn't a dud

Received 73205 "Janette" in the post, from Hatton's today. Just given it a 30 minute run and everything is working fine for me. I did have reservations ,but I am happy I took the plunge.post-288-0-01483300-1521906185_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

Really pleased with my 73 as well. An electrical issue with mine though - red and black motor wires needed swapping (see Olivia's website) as the headlamp lit in the wrong direction.

post-33284-0-63208800-1521927681_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ouroborus
  • Like 1

Really pleased with my 73 as well. An electrical issue with mine though - red and black motor wires needed swapping (see Olivia's website) as the headlamp lit in the wrong direction.

Nice. I am considering buying that one myself, but the electrical issue you referred to is common to EVERY Dapol class 73 released so far. Also an issue is the permanently on cab lighting. Dapol's suggested solution for that was to put insulating tape over the contacts. I eventually rewired the cab lighting so it was switchable from the decoder. I may be banging on an old drum, but we should not have to do this with such expensive new locomotives. The Hatton's bargain prices make it only mildly more acceptable, to me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A chap on the Dapol stand at Ally Pally yesterday said the next batch of 73's would have a redesigned circuit board and there might be a scheme to swap old circuit boards from the original batch but but they hadn't decided yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you on Crack ?

Sigh.

Most purchases will be from a retailer who has the reasonable expectation of making a margin out of a new product. So are you asking the retailers to sell it to the market below cost so you can get it resprayed?

If sales are slow, market forces and price adjustment will naturally follow either from retailers or from Dapol to retailers.

Therefore nothing will happen right now no matter what frenzy you try and whip people up into.

Think twice, post once.

In reply to the above movement of money generates wealth and consumer opinion is now recognised as one of the prime market forces of all.

Dapol Class 73's now selling at £75 mark after 3 years on the shelf - not good.

With the benefit of hindsight - getting that cash flow back to the manufacturer quicker could have beaten the exchange rate fluctuations that are seeing costs and RRP rise and get out a second batch by now = Dapol could have been in a better finanical situation.

No at all intention to slag off Dapol - I think they are a great manufacturer but unfortunately they engaged modellers in this thread with the Class 73 process and it did not have the happiest ending.

Not to worry - managing failures is where success comes from. Handling of Class 68 livery errors was done well. Well done Dapol.

Now it is time for everyone to buy more of their stock - looking forward to next batch of Class 73's

• RMweb Gold

Where are they selling them for £75? directly from their website?

NL

The Hobby Shop at Faversham had a special offer about a week ago, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125236-bargain-hunters-mark-2/?p=3109824

But prices now back up again there,

http://hobb-e-mail.com/Dapol-fav001-br-cl731-e6047-2873-p.asp

Hatton's have 73s from £99.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman

A chap on the Dapol stand at Ally Pally yesterday said the next batch of 73's would have a redesigned circuit board and there might be a scheme to swap old circuit boards from the original batch but but they hadn't decided yet.

O good a bought a 73 @ Ally Pally for £80 which i haven't used yet, so it's that cheap because of problem with the circuit board!....Can so please point me towards the post that explains the problem and solution.

thanks

B

• RMweb Gold

Dapol also had them for £80 at the Ally Pally show a couple of weeks ago.

The Hobby Shop ones were limited editions exclusive to the Hobby Shop, two variations, one is the preserved example.

The GA release is E6039 from Dapol.

The Hobby Shop release is E6047 in the same livery, and is preserved at Spa Valley.

There was a second limited edition for Hobby Shop E6007 in Blue, grey solebar and no arrows this is sold out, but Dapol offer a GA version weathered.

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice if they run better out of the box, instead of having to work on them to get them to run correctly.

I have one that doesn't run correctly - do you have the link showing how to sort the pick ups ?

Ben

I have one that doesn't run correctly - do you have the link showing how to sort the pick ups ?

Ben

Someone a lot earlier in the thread showed how to add wiper pick ups.

I have found that using a small drop of meths (cooking alcohol at 90%) helps clean out the stuff from bearings to get the locos running smooth again. They do clog up again a few months later though.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if posting in the wrong place......

I bought two of the Airtour Suisse ones with the intention of renaming one.

I went and purchased etched plates for 73 122 'County Of East Sussex' but looking at pictures on the web of 73 122 it shows the large white BR arrows on one side opposite to the Airtour Suisse ones.

The only two named 73's I think I can find with the BR arrows at the same ends as the Airtour Sussie in the Intercity livery (I know it's not correct) are 'Brighton Evening Argus' & 'City Of Winchester'.

Anyone confirm this and why was the BR arrows on some of the 73's at different ends?

Thanks Ian.