New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Premium

I would also argue that considerably fewer people will have got their hands on a Class 24 being a very new model that suddenly appeared on the market at the end of the year as opposed to the widely available 73 which has been on pre-order for many years.

It may also be that there are more who think it is a good model as against those who have issues with it. There is a tendency for those who are content, to not report their satisfaction. I have a green liveried JA running on dc and like Gwiwer, am very pleased with it, I do not have any of the issues reported by others and the colour is a good rendition in my opinion. My only issue was the permanent cab lights, which I have isolated out, and painted the back of the route indicators on the cab interior side, to reduce light bleed. If I had been voting in order I would have put the 73 third, behind the Heljan Met Bo-Bo (which I voted for) and the Bachmann 43.

One problem with any of these polls is that you tend to compare models from those you have direct hands on knowledge of. Some of the diesel/electrics, I had not bought or examined, so couldn't include in my own personal ranking, so to some extent these polls are not fully representative, as most voters won't have direct knowledge of all those models in the poll.

Given the upsurge (and resulting confusion) in the variety of loco decoders, sound decoders and emerging DCC controllers/systems, does the panel think these might be worthy categories to include in future polls?

I know both are highly complex products, in terms of application and use, and trying to categorize like-for-like for a poll would be a headache, but I feel feedback from the great unwashed, might prove informative for us and stimulating for manufacturers? These are seriously growing parts of our hobby, and we should not continue to ignore quantitative feedback on them. The qualitative opinions expressed on the multiple of threads here and elsewhere, often lead to some serious confusion and argument. However, many conclude with advice that one should try a variety and use the one that best suits him or her. We rarely find out what that decoder or system ultimately is. Perhaps categorisation could follow most DCC suppliers rule of thumb, for starter sets, advanced and PC/tablet based? Decoders into steam and diesel for sound. Power-only decoders - I don't know.

So as not to leave the large number still using DC on the sidelines, a poll of DC controllers might also prove useful, perhaps split into back-EMF and standard?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Daplol's class 73 in 5th place just behind SLW's class 24..............UNBELIEVABLE??

How can such an appalling model achieve this?  I give in!!!!!!

Because there were only five choices.......?

hat, coat and gone

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think DCC is still a difficult area in which to make meaningful comparisons. We each plump for a system, and not everyone gets to really try many others. If your purchase works for you, you will vote for it. As for decoders, some swear by premium products which they aver do the biz, others buy the cheap as chips models, without noticing any operational defect that bothers them. Hard to compare meaningfully when tastes are so varied.

• Like 1

I think DCC is still a difficult area in which to make meaningful comparisons. We each plump for a system, and not everyone gets to really try many others. If your purchase works for you, you will vote for it. As for decoders, some swear by premium products which they aver do the biz, others buy the cheap as chips models, without noticing any operational defect that bothers them. Hard to compare meaningfully when tastes are so varied.

True, but, I'd wager many of the other polls are subjective too.

But with dcc, at least the comparison would be chips with chips rather than say, class 73s with class 24s (two choices picked at random).

Edited by leopardml2341

Has anyone managed to get the buffer shanks out of the buffer beams without destroying either? As others have found in previous posts I have two that are misaligned, one not pushed in fully and the other at a strange angle. Both are firmly glued though!

I have managed to remove the buffer beams from the loco without too much trouble.

Given the upsurge (and resulting confusion) in the variety of loco decoders, sound decoders and emerging DCC controllers/systems, does the panel think these might be worthy categories to include in future polls?

I know both are highly complex products, in terms of application and use, and trying to categorize like-for-like for a poll would be a headache, but I feel feedback from the great unwashed, might prove informative for us and stimulating for manufacturers? These are seriously growing parts of our hobby, and we should not continue to ignore quantitative feedback on them. The qualitative opinions expressed on the multiple of threads here and elsewhere, often lead to some serious confusion and argument. However, many conclude with advice that one should try a variety and use the one that best suits him or her. We rarely find out what that decoder or system ultimately is. Perhaps categorisation could follow most DCC suppliers rule of thumb, for starter sets, advanced and PC/tablet based? Decoders into steam and diesel for sound. Power-only decoders - I don't know.

So as not to leave the large number still using DC on the sidelines, a poll of DC controllers might also prove useful, perhaps split into back-EMF and standard?

Sorry - I posted this on here by mistake - it should be in the Awards thread, to where I have now copied it.

Shall we continue this debate under the Awards thread?

I have just spoken to someone from Dapol regarding the Collector's Club limited edition Class 73 and apparently there is a delay in releasing the DCC fitted ones due a fault with some of the chips. I hope this is restricted to the one model and not generalised accross the range.

I suspect this is different to the headcode light problem as that would affect all of them!

For anyone who's still interested - ModelRail mag landed on the mat today which includes the awaited review of Dapol's 73 by Mr CJL. I will leave people to read in detail/buy the mag. Summary as we all are now pretty much seeing/agreeing, the model itself is quite impressive but let down mostly by poor QC/build/livery issues. An odd point or two I didn't fully agree with and some points didn't get mentioned but otherwise a nice review.

A general point on reviews, maybe its only an issue I/minority am bothered about but reviews rarely comment on/measure the scale top speed of a model - whether its way way too fast (the norm) or too slow. I think a mag did do scaled measured speeds for a while, possibly MR? 

I am hoping that Dapols 68 wont have the exact same gearing as the 73, the 68 being a longer legged beast in real life.

PS again for anyone still interested running wise following my own modifications and some lengthy running in (5hrs+) my model is now running at an improved level. Pickup is better, runs smother and quieter.

• Like 1

I have just spoken to someone from Dapol regarding the Collector's Club limited edition Class 73 and apparently there is a delay in releasing the DCC fitted ones due a fault with some of the chips. I hope this is restricted to the one model and not generalised accross the range.

I suspect this is different to the headcode light problem as that would affect all of them!

So what's going on with the DC version? I've been waiting since mid-December for it! Paid by credit card over the phone and still no money taken yet.

Has anyone here received their club model? 

So what's going on with the DC version? I've been waiting since mid-December for it! Paid by credit card over the phone and still no money taken yet.

Has anyone here received their club model? 

Suggest going to the Modern Image show at Telford in 2 weeks time and ask them, as they are there in person.    Charlie

Well, the Dapol Collectors Club Class 73 does exist, and I have finally succeeded in acquiring one!

It runs very smoothly, and as far as I could tell, no bits had become detached in transit.

I'm very pleased with the model.

attachicon.gifE6001a.jpg

attachicon.gifE6001b.jpg

I'm on the verge of giving up ever seeing this model, which I ordered in December! I placed an order over the telephone and despite assurances that I would receive soon - no sign of it!

Suggest going to the Modern Image show at Telford in 2 weeks time and ask them, as they are there in person.    Charlie

Telford is a long way for me, and I hadn't planned to go. The collector's club, based on my experience so far, appears to be very disorganised! I joined the club easily enough as was able to pay for the membership online.

But surely, how hard can it be to send a loco out when they took my payment details over the phone coming up to two months ago?!

Telford is a long way for me, and I hadn't planned to go. The collector's club, based on my experience so far, appears to be very disorganised! I joined the club easily enough as was able to pay for the membership online.

But surely, how hard can it be to send a loco out when they took my payment details over the phone coming up to two months ago?!

A logical argument, but apparently not one that cuts any ice with Dapol. I tried the credit card details on the phone route, but only got mine after I sent them a cheque. Seems like an odd way of carrying on.

A logical argument, but apparently not one that cuts any ice with Dapol. I tried the credit card details on the phone route, but only got mine after I sent them a cheque. Seems like an odd way of carrying on.

Very odd....and very 20th century!!!!

I wonder if anyone else on these forums has actually acquired a club model (DC version) without all the palava you had to go through to get one. 

The lady I spoke to originally was most helpful, and there was absolutely no mention of forms or cheques!

I'm on the verge of giving up ever seeing this model, which I ordered in December! I placed an order over the telephone and despite assurances that I would receive soon - no sign of it!

Why not ring Dapol and find out ? That is the only you will know

• Like 1