RMweb

Trebudoc in O Gauge, Videos, page 28, 29, 31 to 33 + 36

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, thanks for the tip, BTW how did you paint your bridge and did you follow any photos for the colouring?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I used acrylics for my scenic painting - including the bridge.

The painting / colouring was from colour photos of the type of bridge along the Exeter / Barnstaple line.

Do you have a stone work in the area being modelled?

Hi Dave, whilst the wifes away and all that,...............Know what I mean :no:

And borrowing her hair dryer by the looks of it. You'd better put that back before she gets home! :mosking:

You are too kind Kev, but there are a lot of very serious model makers out there watching your every move, ha ha ho ho

I know what you mean. When I posted photo's of my JLTRT 57XX Pannier tank on my workbench thread the mistakes I'd made where pointed out very quickly. :angry:

Hi Andy,

I used acrylics for my scenic painting - including the bridge.

The painting / colouring was from colour photos of the type of bridge along the Exeter / Barnstaple line.

Do you have a stone work in the area being modelled?

Hi Richard, I am modeling the area around Wadebridge / Bodmin, most of the bridges I have seen in that area are a grey stone with a darker mortar as with my original bridge but I am not sure if it looks ok or not!. Any help, pics, ideas are always appreciated.

Cheers Andy.

And borrowing her hair dryer by the looks of it. You'd better put that back before she gets home! :mosking:

I know what you mean. When I posted photo's of my JLTRT 57XX Pannier tank on my workbench thread the mistakes I'd made where pointed out very quickly. :angry:

I had the same with a couple of bits on Masons Lane, BUT it did gel me into correcting them pretty dam quick.

Andy

Well now the shed is painted and rusted it does not look like a lump of lard, no longer is it a blot on the landscape, now just an old rusting shed waiting to be demolished, (I might just do that next and make way for a multi storey car park) ha ha

Unfortunately pic 5 shows a bit under the roof that I missed, I will do that later even though the public will not see that side.

Andy.

post-9335-0-71246700-1355690881_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-51124900-1355690900_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-37066600-1355690920_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-38400800-1355690940_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-33331800-1355690957_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hello again Andy, finally fitted the roof to see what it look's like, the facia board's on the end of the roof need's some sort of ornate fitting to finish it off, l will see what l have in my scrap box, by the way the tin shed look's good and very realistic, very good (we'll make a decent layout of it yet) ??

georgeT

post-7716-0-46727600-1355691616_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-56871900-1355691633_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-60366800-1355691650_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-46063000-1355691665_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Excellent job on the shed Andy - you really are a whizz with the weathering!

George - great stuff again. I bought some 2mm ply - it's a real pleasure to work with, though birch is sufficiently tough to make cutting out a tunnel portal into quite a job! Staight cuts - easy. Question: what's the scale of the blocks in the station walls - they look to be about 4-5mm, so about 1' in reality? How easy have you found it to scribe in 4mm scale where the brick size is much smaller?

Jeff

Excellent job on the shed Andy - you really are a whizz with the weathering!

George - great stuff again. I bought some 2mm ply - it's a real pleasure to work with, though birch is sufficiently tough to make cutting out a tunnel portal into quite a job! Staight cuts - easy. Question: what's the scale of the blocks in the station walls - they look to be about 4-5mm, so about 1' in reality? How easy have you found it to scribe in 4mm scale where the brick size is much smaller?

Jeff

Evening Jeff, thanks for the comments about my little rusting shed, George certanly does a cracking job with everything he tackles, and that Station building is coming on in leaps and bounds.

Cheers Andy.

Awesome shed, perhaps a bit of guttering and a drainpipe hanging off would complete the scene?

How did you get that textured effect on the door?

Guttering and Drainpipes, yes what a good idea.

Now I wish you hadn't asked about that door, as thereby hangs a tale.

Once upon a time there was an idiot called Andy.

He made the shed side and it looked good.

Having offered up the side , he decided to put in a door.

He proceded to cut away the end and painted the MDF behind Brown to represent the door

He then used Impact adhesive to fix the end.

This is when his brain took over from those dangelly bits men sometimes have

He realised that he should have cut away the facia panel a bit more so as not to hide the side of the wonderfull shed

He then removed the end wall and found that the almost dry sticky stuff was now all stringgy

He then cut away the offending facia board and made up a new end wall and fitted it

PERFECT

untill he looked at the photo, and thought WOW THAT LOOKS GOOD. :no:

you see, you can't see it with the naked eye, Maybe eyes souldn't be naked as that is rude.

Andy, the lad in sain, ho ho ho

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

what's up can't you sleep ? Further update on the progress, l have changed the facia board's to look a bit better, and have re-enforced the main roof to stop and warping, also in my scrap box have found some suitable door's for the station.

georgeT

post-7716-0-13401000-1355739140_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-37488500-1355739151_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-83755400-1355739164_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-81376100-1355739177_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-34074900-1355739191_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

what's up can't you sleep ? Further update on the progress, l have changed the facia board's to look a bit better, and have re-enforced the main roof to stop and warping, also in my scrap box have found some suitable door's for the station.

georgeT

Roof trusses are looking good mate, I might be able to sit on it to view the layout, ha aha

Doors are spot on and I know you will mount them in a door frame WITH REAL WORKING HINGES, or maybe not.

Andy.

Had a good day in the Den untill about 2pm and then back in again from 4 till 6.30.

I decided to weather the track this morning and then took the Dogs out whilst that dried. I then started laying in some Ballast, I decided not to use O Gauge as it is in the two sidings and looks a bit chunky. Instead I have used some OO stuff from Geoscenics, but I had run out when almost done. so I took a break.

I then decided to weather my new Dapol wagon, firstly I made up a diluted mix of thinners, Learther and a cream colour from the Humbrol Enamel range. I do not mix the colours but dip my No 0 brush from one to the next on a pallet, this allows some of the colours to mix but NOT BLEND, and with a quick dip into the thinners on the way. This allows the paint to run down from the ironwork to form rust streaks.

I also decided to make a few planks look like they have been replaced over a period of time, I used the same mix BUT witout the thinners and painted the planks horizontilly, and the when dry I just wiped a light coat of thinner over to weaken the paint and give a fadded look.

Lastly I gave the whole wagon a light dusting with the Air Brush using Railmatch Acrylic Frame Dirt.

I know I have replaced too many planks the same colour but this was my first try at replament planks so I did both sides of the wagon, anyway when running on my layout the public only see one side and so I can turn it around for a bit of veriety.

Andy

post-9335-0-37079700-1355777086_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-39605500-1355777104_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That shed looks fantastic Andy, as does George's station building. If you were to bring this layout along to Jeff's fabled open day that we are forcing him to have, I can see a few of us considering O gauge ;)

Hi Dave Jason and Kev, SWMBO is back this morning so I have to find where she keeps the Hoover and find out how to start it!

A light dusting in the chassis is a good idea Kev, I will give that a go later and post the results.

Yes Dave I have had since Sat Morning and it has been great, exept I have had to do my own food, (I am not a kitchen person) although I do like washing up, I find it very theraputic somehow. I must go and stick the kettle on and have a quick cuppa before I make a start.

What do you mean Jeff's open day, I THOUGHT IT WAS A WHOLE WEEK EVENT, not just one day, ho ho ho. SORRY JEFF.

Andy.

• Like 3

Hi all,

I have just done the ballasting, it is only the new bit so it hasn't taken too long.

First I use a piece of firm sponge to flatten out the ballast, I don't know where I saw this used first, but it does work well. I have used OO Gauge ballast.

Then I gave the track a light spray of water and a drop of washing up liquid, (ignore what it says on the bottle, it has been thoroughly washed in boiling water).

Then a 50/50 mix of PVA, again a small amount of washing up liquid is used, for those that are new to this method of ballasting, the wasing up liquid is used to break down surface tension and therfore lets the PVA mix and flow better.

Now it's time for another coffee and cake whilst this lot dries, probably about 48 hours, so I will find some other jobs to do.

Andy.

P.S. yes I know it looks a mess now, but trust me, I used to be a second hand car salesman, :O ha ha ha.

post-9335-0-48529900-1355830966_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-38724200-1355830990_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08398700-1355831015_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-94595000-1355831037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 6