Hornby Thompson Suburbans - Updated images on Page 4

Andy Y

Rounded windows came just after Nationalisation (IIRC) but before the change to crimson livery in mid-1949 so there were some mock teak ones with rounded windows and BR Gill Sans numbers, but I don't think there were any CLs in that livery. Some types appeared new in lined crimson but the only CLs in that livery (if any) would have been repaints as there was a long gap in production of that type. Those built after early 1951 (and there were lots) came out in plain crimson.

A good set to model if you have room would be a Liverpool Street-Southend Victoria set of the early 1950s, formed BT, T, T, CL, CL, T, T, BT.

Well it seems to be an option to get both types and repaint the early ones if you want a real brainteaser of a rake? Especially as so many went north of the border.

How long would it have taken for the LNER liveried ones to get a repaint then? Not that I'm averse to a rapid re-livery...

That means a rake of these and some Gresleys, pulled by the Bachmann D11/2, when it appears, has even more of an attraction.

Well it seems to be an option to get both types and repaint the early ones if you want a real brainteaser of a rake? Especially as so many went north of the border.

How long would it have taken for the LNER liveried ones to get a repaint then? Not that I'm averse to a rapid re-livery...

That means a rake of these and some Gresleys, pulled by the Bachmann D11/2, when it appears, has even more of an attraction.

Iak,

Will you just stop this please? I have a grubby D11/1 plain black Director, (or two), in it's last years, somewhere in the East Midlands with a Footex (or two!) from Sheffield to Nottingham made up of a mixture of Gresleys and Thompsons, when fans weren't animals......

0% c/card?, that'll do nicely thanks!!

Cheers,

Peter C. :paint:

Super, smashing, great!

I didn’t realise that two different versions were being produced either. Do we have any production dates for these beauties? I’ve seen varying time-frames mentioned since they were announced but they look very advanced. Did Simon give any indication or if there is still much work to do on them, Andy (apart from painting, of course)?

• RMweb Gold

Is anyone able to answer #12 above? Am assuming the first batch will be either square or round. Really I need (I guess that's a euphemism for want) more square than round, so unsure how many to pre-order of the 1st run of these beauties.

Iak,

Will you just stop this please? I have a grubby D11/1 plain black Director, (or two), in it's last years, somewhere in the East Midlands with a Footex (or two!) from Sheffield to Nottingham made up of a mixture of Gresleys and Thompsons, when fans weren't animals......

0% c/card?, that'll do nicely thanks!!

Cheers,

Peter C. :paint:

Easy now...

I cannot help getting excited? :yahoo_mini: :lol_mini2: :yahoo_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Don't shoot me down but am I right in saying that these coaches are the type that were used in the last days on the Hemyock branch.Pulled by a 14xx tank.Looking for a reason to buy one. :no:

forgive me, im sure ive asked this a while back,

I think I could get away with a few of these, not so much the lavatory, mixed in between ex LMS coaches on Cheshire lines trains between Liverpool and Manchester?

could maybe use 1 or 2 of the Hornby Gresley suburbans too but my coach knowledge is very weak, they all look similar to me.

to me this looks like a thompson?...

6241771448_c5c1c090b9_b.jpg

Warbreck by Kerry Parker (KP), on Flickr

• RMweb Gold

Don't shoot me down but am I right in saying that these coaches are the type that were used in the last days on the Hemyock branch.Pulled by a 14xx tank.Looking for a reason to buy one. :no:

I always understood the Hemyock coaches to be gas-lit ex-Barry Railway coaches (the train travelling too slowly for dynamos).

They were, but were then replaced with a couple of Thompson vehicles in the early 60s.

W87245E and W87270E, dia 340 (info courtesy of Bill B and others on the LNER Forum)

Also seen on the Aberfeldy, Ballachulish and Banff branches, these really are iconic branch line manna :sungum:

Guest Max Stafford

The controls at Carlisle and Edinburgh always seemed to be able to sneak a cheeky bog compo into the afternoon Waverley Route semi-fast's consist at short order.

Dave.

Thanks Bill

So those 2 types Hornby are not doing?

I'm sure many of the ones they are doing worked up here, ill have a look and see if I can see them in some old photos. But as I say, I'm not learned in them, I can spot the lner bogies and the roofline but in some pics its hard to see what coaches are which.

Also, do we know if they are doing them in post 1956 livery with the yellow and black lining?

Guest Max Stafford

First issue are crimson, Mike. Maroon will appear pretty quickly though, I imagine.

Dave.

forgive me, im sure ive asked this a while back,

I think I could get away with a few of these, not so much the lavatory, mixed in between ex LMS coaches on Cheshire lines trains between Liverpool and Manchester?

could maybe use 1 or 2 of the Hornby Gresley suburbans too but my coach knowledge is very weak, they all look similar to me.

One can indeed Michael

The full 3rds and brake 3rds are certainly usable - check out the Harris LNER books for details.

Or even better...

http://www.lner.info/stock/carriages/local.shtml

I think you'll find a lot in here to get the auld juices dribbling :locomotive:

I have a photo of a Blackpool train made up of two ex LMS lavatory brake thirds (as per Dapol), a Western Region non corridor composite built for the LMR, a Thompson lavatory compo (as per Hornby)and the rest of the train made up of Stanier corridor stock.

• RMweb Gold

I note the comment above about the Thompsons working with BR Mk non-gangwayed stock and ISTR that the Early Days of London Diesels book incloudes a shot to prove this. However, would these Thompsons have worked alongside the non-gangwayed Gresleys as produced by Hornby?

Archived