Hornby Thompson Suburbans - Updated images on Page 4

Andy Y

Is it a full review Andy?

No; just some more shots from different angles and at a higher resolution. Having had my mitts on them today I can say they are exceptionally good with very fine detail for a relatively workaday subject.

Reading some earlier comments HD probably stands for Heavy Dribble.

Looks like it Simon (though the lining not that obvious as in this shot http://www.flickr.co...nie/5743499968/ - also note the recent replacement droplight possibly still in bare wood the way they came from works - or primer of course...

I think the maroon ones in the other image are unlined. Lining on non-gangwayed stock did not come in untl c1959 (maroon appeared in 1956) and most photos of lined maroon Thompson non-gangwayed stock I have seen have been taken in Scotland. Incidentally, some of the Thompson non-gangwayed stock (but not all types) was outshopped in lined crimson when new. Lining on crimson was abandoned in 1951.

Further to the images in the OP I had the opportunity to take some 3/4 shots of each of the coaches yesterday (click on an image to open at full resolution) that give a better feel for the levels of detail included. It is envisaged that the finished coaches will be available mid-summer. In some ways I was surprised by the short space of time between the release of the Gresleys and these but it's an acknowledgement that many modellers would like to run secondary services that incorporate a mix of stock and represents some good thinking that will appeal to the modellers.

The running numbers for each issue are now confirmed and this will hopefully help readers in pre-ordering with retailers.

LNER 'simulated' Teak - Squared corner windows

R4572 - LNER Thompson Non-Corridor Composite Coach (Lavatory) - teak finish / square window

Running number - 88383

T1a.jpg

T1b.jpg

R4573 - LNER Thompson Non-Corridor Third Class Coach - teak finish / square window

Running number - 82657

T3a.jpg

T3b.jpg

R4574 - LNER Thompson Non-Corridor Brake Third Class Coach - teak finish / square window

Running number - 87013

T4a.jpg

T4b.jpg

BR Crimson - Rounded corner windows

R4575 - BR Thompson Non-Corridor Composite Coach (Lavatory) - crimson / rounded corner window

Running number - E 88512 E

T2a.jpg

T2b.jpg

R4576 - BR Thompson Non-Corridor 3rd Class Coach - crimson / rounded corner window

Running number - E 82798 E

T5a.jpg

T5b.jpg

R4577 - BR Thompson Non-Corridor Brake 3rd Class Coach - crimson / rounded corner window

Running number - E 87228 E

T6a.jpg

T6b.jpg

T6c.jpg

Best coaches yet as far as I can see, and this includes proprietory and kitbuilt. Hornby CAN do it when it serves their purpose so I for one hope these are a foreshadow of things to come. As usual from this source, smashing photos Andy. The detail on these models is quite amazing and we call them flush-sided! I could be mistaken but the glazing looks to be an improvement on the old lozenge window glazing.

I tell you what, and I hope Hornby is reading this, those spung buffers would be mighty useful if sold as packs of spares! :good:

For the absolute purist (or pedant, depending upon your point of view) Hornby needs to pay just a tad more attention to the footboards on the bogies. Whilst the 'outboard' ones have obviously been added, the centre one under the side corridor section of the CL should be absent - compare against the prototype photographs that appeared on the BRM website at the time of the Hornby 'announcement'.

Cross-posted from the LNER Forum, with permission of the OP:

LNER 'simulated' Teak - Squared corner windows

R4572 - LNER Thompson Non-Corridor Composite Coach (Lavatory) - teak finish / square window

Running number - 88383

Jan 1948 - Dec 1962: No allocation data, but it is amongst others allocated to GE Section

R4573 - LNER Thompson Non-Corridor Third Class Coach - teak finish / square window

Running number - 82657

Sept 1947 - Dec 1963: No allocation data, but it is amongst others allocated to GN Section

R4574 - LNER Thompson Non-Corridor Brake Third Class Coach - teak finish / square window

Running number - 87013

July 1948 - Oct 1962: No allocation data, but it is amongst others allocated to GN or GC Section

BR Crimson - Rounded corner windows

R4575 - BR Thompson Non-Corridor Composite Coach (Lavatory) - crimson / rounded corner window

Running number - E 88512 E

Nov 1952 - Jul 1963: No allocation data, but it is between others allocated to GE & GN Sections

R4576 - BR Thompson Non-Corridor 3rd Class Coach - crimson / rounded corner window

Running number - E 82798 E

Nov 1951 - Apr 1965: Initially allocated to GE Section, noted as in Harwich Set 1. Involved in an accident at Hertford East Station in Dec 1958. Transferred to Sc82798 - date unknown.

R4577 - BR Thompson Non-Corridor Brake 3rd Class Coach - crimson / rounded corner window

Running number - E 87228 E

Nov 1951 - Mar 1965: No allocation data, but it is amongst others allocated to NE Region. Transferred to Sc87228 Nov 1962.

...HD probably stands for Heavy Dribble.

Hornby probably have the paint technique to cover this, which is presumably what resulted in the interesting vertical fade or wash marks often seen on well weathered maroon coaches. Looking at the HD pictures at Gauge 1 size on screen the neat representation of corrosion on one or two body side locations, and at the bottom of the solebar under the footboard brackets (presumably slight cement spills) looked very realistic.

Now how do we ask Hornby for such 'not quite perfect assembly' for any BR maroon versions they plan to offer, to better represent ten or more years in traffic, looking a bit worn around the edges, corrosion bubbling thorugh the paint?

These look truly impressive. Even without the teak applied yet, they have 'wow' factor.

For the extra tenner*, they're a far cry from the old Airfix GWR B set suburban!

* Curiously the LNER coaches are listed for £49, and the BR coaches at £35. I presume that reflects the extra cost of applying the faux teak.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived