Hawthorn Dene

Les1952

Update.

Hawthorn Dene has been invited to appear at The Festival of British Railway Modelling, Doncaster Racecourse, Feb 13/14 2016.

It didn't take long to contact them and accept.....

Les

Many thanks to Andy Y for recommending me.....

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One decision.

"Layout 4" will be an N-gauge roundy-roundy that will share Hawthorn Dene's proscenium.

I'm now thinking about where to set it- an ECML location this time, though maybe an amalgam of a couple of places.  Croft Spa looks inviting, but maybe with elements taken from Dinsdale and from Plawsworth and Croxdale stations- i.e simple layout, station platforms begin at an overbridge and another one at the far end, mostly in cutting.

Construction won't start for at least a year, Sept 2016 being most likely.  I've also got to save up for either baseboard kits or to have them made....

Les

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Two things-

Hawthorn Dene will be re-erected tomorrow so I can start to get it ready for another photoshoot.  I've also started to DCC fit the D49, which has occupied a shelf in the workshop for the thick end of two years waiting for me to decide what to do with it.  The two V2s will follow it through the workshop so I can hopefully improve their pathetic haulage capacity.

The new N layout will definitely be Croft Spa.  Trevor Webster has agreed to make the station building, platform shelter and tall signalbox for it.  I'm still unlikely to start it until sometime next year.

All the very best

Les

• Like 2

It is a bitza, a Farish compound chassis with a Dapol tender and a brass and whitemetal body of unknown provenance.

I actually got it running on the layout this afternoon but for some reason it is back to buzzing after I disturbed the magnet.  There is a picture of it earlier in the topic on the third page (post 78).  I'll get a pic in the next few days showing the state it is in currently.

All the best

Les

• RMweb Premium

The preserved one (Morayshire?) Passed through Horden once. It was in fine fettle.

By the time I walked to train watch the local trains were all met cams (complete with buffet car).

Did see the odd big steam engine on parcels and in place of failed diesels on the Colchester to Newcastle trains.

Happy days!

Baz

I just wish my D49 was in fine fettle.  Having chipped it I've gone from a loco that ran to one that buzzes and tries to move (having run at first after chipping).   It is in the "too hard to deal with" pile for the time being while I sort out other problems.

On the plus side I now have two running V2s- 60884 needs some weight adding as it is a weedy weakling.  I've spent much of the day on 60880, which wasn't really trying.  Reattaching the tender pickups on the black side and adding some weight under the cab roof has produced a loco that runs beautifully on the inner circuit with nine coaches in tow.  Only problem is that it doesn't like turning right co is barred from the outer line.  60884 next then to try to sort out the A2/2.....

Also now running well is 60018, back from a new traction tyre.  It will need a little weight adding to the rear truck as this occasionally derails.

Nottingham on the bus tomorrow....

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

Three days in the shed

Not consecutive ones unfortunately but quite a bit done in the way of odds and ends.

post-13358-0-26878400-1441810719_thumb.jpg

Some of the grass is a little bare in places so I've been adding more.  Some of it has clover and others buttercups and dandelions.  I've put different into each patch.  This one is to the left of the flight, where the gang are climbing up to do some fixing.  The wiry looking bit in the bottom corner is fencing attached to a broken post.  The new post is in place but not yet painted.

I've still not got the D49 fit for viewing, though it is now (almost) running- not helped by a wheel having shifted on its axle slightly.  On the other hand I've finally got the power car from the 4-car DMU to sit almost correctly on its Bachfar chassis.

post-13358-0-19959000-1441810716_thumb.jpg

post-13358-0-26210500-1441810714_thumb.jpg

The pic of the TGS shows it still needs to donate some underframe parts to the dummy power car behind it.  Some cleaning and filling to do but it runs quietly and will add some variety, especially at Braunstone where there will be a reduced number of trains running for the one-day show.

post-13358-0-52017300-1441810717_thumb.jpg

Last but not least another three Pacifics have arrived, though only one is still here.  Two A4s from Hattons proved disappointing.  The one with the corridoor tender went straight back by return of post- quite a lot of expensive damage, too much for a loco marked "like new".   The non-corridoor one I accepted, then found it needed a traction tyre, so that has gone off to DCC Supplies to fix.  Non-corridoor Dapol A4s are getting VERY difficult to get hold of, which is why I've kept it.  On the other hand an A3 "Gladiateur" off eBay (new) has completed two hours of running in and has had the tender crest changed and been renumbered and renamed to 60038 FIRDAUSSI, a local hero that never got blinkers.  MY 60070 GLADIATEUR has blinkers, having started off as a Flying Scotsman bought from Dr Al.

Note to spotters- a Gateshead/Heaton/Darlington loco - it isn't going to STAY that clean......

Time to put the kettle on- tea o'clock.....

Les

• Like 3

Nice job on the A3. I keep hoping to pick up one for relatively cheaply.

I've got super detailed farish a3s but they need replacing IMO when you see the Dapol model, to represent the St margarets late surviving trio salmon trout, Prince palatine and my favourite spearmint.

Your renaming job has sent me off to ebay!!

Thanks for that.  Each of the last three has a different starting point if you want to do them in final form.

Salmon Trout is the easiest.  Start with a Lemberg or Flying Fox.

Spearmint is also a straight renumber, but the starting point is Flying Scotsman to get the New Type tender.  Scotsman is a lot harder to get hold of. 

Prince Palatine had an A4 boiler at the end.  You have two choices, either live with the washout plugs, boiler bands and dome being in the wrong place or fix it.  I've put A4 boilers in the "too hard to deal with" basket, despite Prince Palatine being a Darlington pilot before being transferred North (and my seeing it during its last overhaul at Darlington).

I use a Faber Perfection erasing pencil to get the old numbers off, and Fox transfers, which have much thinner film than Modelmaster.  Firdaussi is waiting 48 hours for the transfers to harden before I matt varnish over them and start weathering.

Hope this lot helps.

Les

Edited by Les1952

After all that I've just looked at Firdaussi's dome.

I feel a transplant coming on - should be a banjo.   There is a dead A3 in the bits box (NQP being broken for spares).  Hopefully that has a banjo dome.

Oops.

Les

Panic over- I've just scurried into the front room and double-checked with the Green Guide.

Firdaussi got its double chimney in 1959 and at the same time changed its Diagram 94A (banjo dome) boiler for a Diagram 94HP with a round dome (whew!)

Towards the end of 1961 it changed THAT boiler for a diagram 107 A4 boiler.  It was a Gateshead loco from 1957 to 1960, moving to Holbeck for Settle & Carlisle duties.  Suitable for the coast route by being a Gateshead engine (just) at the start of 1960.  

I can breathe again.

Must be bed time.....

Les

• Like 2

Once Bittern...

Having spent quite a bit of Saturday at Grantham Railshow, Sunday was the turn of the N-Gauge show at Leamington.  Naturally I spent more than was wise, though I did get a big pack of dahlias to liven up the allotments and to use in the gardens on Rise Park and Croft Spa- believe me there seem to be about 80 plants in the pack.  The only trouble is that each plant appears to be a three part kit.  Bye-bye sanity.  Maybe some pics on Wednesday when I get around to starting them...

More about the main indulgence purchase later.    Saturday also saw the return of the Bittern I bought secondhand from Hattons.  Naturally this can't stay as Bittern as I already have one- indeed this is Bittern Number three.  Number two is now 60018 Sparrow Hawk. 

post-13358-0-03669500-1442255048_thumb.jpg

The new Bittern sits on the work bench, Faber-Castell's perfection erasing pencil having done its work.  One or two minute traces of the old number still visible but nothing to worry about.

post-13358-0-94114700-1442255049_thumb.jpg

A new identity- this one is to become 60023 Golden Eagle.  Plates from a batch acquired from the NGS Shop a year or two back and transfers for the cabside and front numberplate from those nice Fox people.   Here the transfer is sitting on the cabside waiting for its backing sheet to become detached so I can slide it into place.  I cheat by putting the transfer close to where it is wanted THEN wetting it.  Completely against instructions but it works for me.

post-13358-0-97155400-1442255054_thumb.jpg

Numbered and named (note the smokebox has also been done) and sitting on the layout for 48 hours for the transfers to harden before varnishing.  Not quite true the latter as I gave it a few laps with 12 coaches in tow then shunted it out of the way in the fiddle yard.  It will have its transfers varnished on Wednesday.

post-13358-0-43303300-1442255056_thumb.jpg

The reason for renumbering Bittern 3 to 60023 - the "real" Bittern is the one standing on the other line. Note light weathering and lamps for express passenger.  In front, facing 60023 is ANOTHER Bittern, the indulgence purchase from TINGs.  Dapol hadn't any double-chimney A4s but I spotted this one on David Cooper's stand, and it took less than two minutes to exchange an appropriate amount of money for it.  I still have plates left for 60005, 60016 and 60020 of the non-corridoor variety.  However I've run out of 6-pin chips so won't start this one just yet- I did cut the power to the layout to take this pic.  Apart from the front coupling you can tell they are models.  You would never find a pair of A4s side-by-side with the electrfication flashes in the same place, and you would be VERY unlikely to find three together in real life with the same radius of curvature on the front lining.....

post-13358-0-80982100-1442255051_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile Firdaussi has had a coat of satin varnish on the cabsides, tender sides, and smokebox front.  Next step is coaling and lamping for fast goods and repainting the cab roof, then I can think about weathering.

post-13358-0-52933700-1442255053_thumb.jpg

Now, I think I said that Firdaussi started off as a Gladiateur, but couldn't remain that way because I already had one.  Meet Gladiateur, one of Gateshead's finest.  This one started off as Flying Scotsman, purchased secondhand from Dr Al about a year ago.  

So- Flying Scotsman became Gladiateur, meaning Gladiateur (3) had to become  Firdaussi.  Gladiateur (2) became St Frusquin after exchanging its tender with Lemberg (1) to allow that loco to become Blink Bonny.  Lemberg(2) is the current Lemberg, whilst Lembergs (3) and (4) are Night Hawk and Manna, but not necessarily in that order....

Confused?  with 6 BR green A4s (plus Silver Link in silver) and 9 BR green A3s (plus two LNER ones) it isn't difficult. 

Time for a quick Anadin I think.  Meanwhile I might hit the bottle....

Les

Edited for an afterthought.  Although all of these Pacifics will run on HD at various times, the real reason for expanding the fleet is that Croft Spa being on the ECML will need more expresses and fast goods.  Building the stock now before being hit with A2s, Claytons and the like means I won't have such a panic two years down the road when Croft Spa is nearly ready.....

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 4

Wednesday came- and went...

though I did get quite a bit done

A4 Bittern (4) is now run-in and waiting to become 60020 Guillemot.   I've finally got 9F 92050 running through all pointwork without derailing and I've repaired the loco to tender connection that was causing one of the J27s to stutter a bit 

I've got the rail sides touched up and spent a bit of time capping the wall at the back of No Place- some folks will do anything to get out of building dahlia kits.....

Les

• Like 2

YACKABOO!

or-  dahlia madness..

Those dahlias are three part kits (I thought at first they might be two but there is a base to stick them in.)

post-13358-0-98595100-1442497375_thumb.jpg

This is what you get in the kit.  The green prue contains the stalks and the base, with what I assume is a protective grating, though it might make cold frame edging or something similar.  the other bit contains the flower heads and comes in five colours.  There are 120 dahlias in the pack - 119 now as a stalk has pinged...

post-13358-0-05095200-1442497374_thumb.jpg

The stalks are cut off the sprue, then the leaves are twisted out- yes four or five per stalk in different directions.  Then the heads are stuck on - or to be more precise the top of the stalk dipped into a tiny spot of cyano and stuck to a flower head in the sprue- see above pic.

post-13358-0-05135800-1442497377_thumb.jpg

Next the heads are cut from their sprue leaving a number of dahlias ready to plant.

post-13358-0-89469900-1442497372_thumb.jpg

Mr Green is growing cream dahlias in a row.  B-difficult to get these planted, but I had a second go on a different allotment.

post-13358-0-09812300-1442497375_thumb.jpg

Mr Whitehead's dahlias are also in a line, so far.  I tried drilling holes for the three but lost them as 0.5mm holes in ground texture don't show up too well...

post-13358-0-54054100-1442497378_thumb.jpg

Mr Makkem has red dahlias planted in one of the bases with soil brushed round the edge.  Of course when I next feel the urge there will be a group of white ones to go with them.  After all, he IS Mr Makkem....

post-13358-0-93026000-1442497379_thumb.jpg

The bunch of purple dahlias has been planted in one of the allotments behind the colliery railway.

One problem with the A4 renumbering- the plates for GUILLEMOT that I have are by LFC, and not pre-cut for taking from the backing easily.  Given my ham-fistednes these plates are going on eBay and Bittern (4) has become Sir Ralph Wedgewood.

post-13358-0-68531200-1442497369_thumb.jpg

A little work to do on the leading 6 when it dries, and it will have to be kept clean as it is a King's Cross loco rather than a Gateshead one.

Time for a lie down....

Les

• Like 2

Some more pics.

Most of this week has been taken up with setting up trains and running in locos.  I've also got to avoid having the same trains running that Ray Lightfoot photographed last year.

post-13358-0-55574900-1443188068_thumb.jpg

The tender-first B1 escaped Ray's camera so it will be lined up for Andy.  Still on the coal empties I'll also keep one of the J27s running the other way on coal fulls.

post-13358-0-99926800-1443188071_thumb.jpg

A little work on the dahlias and the flowers in Mr Makkem's allotment.  If he has painted his shed red and white he is hardly likely to be growing yellow flowers.

post-13358-0-96901800-1443188072_thumb.jpg

The nissen huts needed some junk adding in the yard, so that has started.  Still a lot to do here.

post-13358-0-07413300-1443188070_thumb.jpg

Lastly another namer for Barry and John to get excited about.  This one will be fairly lightly weathered and lamped for fast goods.  Another one of the growing fleet of fast engines for Croft Spa.  Easier to do this now while there aren't many other calls on the money....

Mind you Dapol's open day next week might clean me out.

Les

• Like 3

Quick Update

The latest N-gauge Society Journal has an article by me originally entitled "Model Railways as Theatre" (but for some reason retitled "The Theatre of Model Railways") featuring Furtwangen Ost and Hawthorn Dene.

Les

• Like 1

Another update

Hawthorn Dene will be at the Elizabethan Railway Society's show in Kirkby in Ashfield on the weekend of October 10th and 11th. (the weekend after next)

Late replacement for a layout that has had to drop out.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Layout packed up ready for Kirkby in Ashfield this weekend- and won't be back home until after Braunstone on November 7th as it is going to the clubroom for a month across its appointment with Andy Y.

More additions to stock (pics to follow)

A second BRCW type 2, this one definitely a HD loco rather than for Croft Spa.  Bought new at Dapol's open day for quite a lot below RRP.  This one alone paid my Dapol club subscription for the year...

Another A3, this one for £35 as "poor haulage" shop return.  It walked off with a standard 7-coach train with no effort at all so has had a body and tender transplant to make 60100 Spearmint.

Yet another A3, bought for £25 with a broken connecting rod.  Once this was cut off it runs perfectly.  Identity yet to be confirmed- no blinks, round dome and either high or low tender.  Will have to run clockwise to keep missing valve gear away from punters' sight.

Another Bittern- this one with badly mashed valve gear (again £25).  Cutting it off gives a runner so I have a good A4 for spares

Two B1s sold on eBay as spares or repair, total cost less than one good secondhand one-

The first, 61099, has seen a lot of use and had a circuit board problem.  I've removed the circuit board and hard-wired a chip out of a OO loco bought as scrap.  It runs but isn't happy.  At some stage I'll find another B1 front with blown tender and do a swap.  Meanwhile it can be a last resort spare.

The other one, 61406 hasn't seen as much use by a long chalk.  This one had an intermittent short which seemed to be a piece of solder on the underside of the circuit board touching a piece of solder below it. I've eased a piece of kapton tape between them and it seems happy.  6-pin decoder fitted and it can run at Kirkby in Ashfield this weekend.  If it fails I'll take the circuit board out and hard-wire a new decoder.

Day off modelling today.  Setup tomorrow (but dentist first)

Les

• Like 1

Pics of new additions.

The trouble with doing things on the laptop at silly o'clock is that you forget the pics you thought you hadn't taken are sitting on the desktop computer all along waiting to be processed..

post-13358-0-37027000-1444310394_thumb.jpg

First, the new type 2.  Class 27s, ten in all, were allocated new to Thornaby.  D5401 wasn't one of them but at some time I'll renumber it (and D5356 which wasn't a Thornaby one either).  A bit of grot on the roof, ends and bogies makes it look a little more lived in.   edit - guess who took the wrong type 2 out of the box.  D5401 is a bit more dirty up top and has yellow warning panels.

post-13358-0-74572500-1444310397_thumb.jpg

Next the compete A3- 60100 Spearmint.  It has since lost a front buffer- a good reason to talk to N Brass when I next see them at a show.

post-13358-0-71069400-1444310395_thumb.jpg

Now the poorer of the B1s, this one having the hard-wired chip.  I may try out a better chip before going to the lengths of not using it.  The odd running could be the secondhand chip.

post-13358-0-66481300-1444310392_thumb.jpg

Now the better of the two B1s.  Currently running well with a 6-pin Digitrax decoder in its tender.  If it continues that way I'll renumber it as one that was shedded at Darlington (just like 61005 wasn't but in that case I couldn't resist the name Bongo).  More likely to remain unnamed.

post-13358-0-85851500-1444310396_thumb.jpg

One item that has arrived escaped being mentioned.  The paddy train has come back (again) from Mr Simon- I'm sure he has said what he did to it in his workbench thread.  It now runs satisfactorily clockwise, though derails running anticlockwise.  The Matchbox at the far end is also running well at low speed so it can make an occasional sortie just to remind punters there are actually three running lines.  BTW I'm fully aware that there seems not to have been a paddy train running in the Easington or Hetton area- at least as far as I can find.  This is a Rule 1 excuse to use a set of North Staffordshire low-roof six-wheelers that previously ran on Parnhams with a Midland Celerestory in the middle of the rake.

Post shopping state of knackeredness.  Almost time to go and fall asleep in front of daytime TV....

Les

• Like 4

" I'm fully aware that there seems not to have been a paddy train running in the Easington "

Memory is a funny thing, Les. I have a vivid memory of riding on such a train as a child. . .short, compartment carriages with no corridors. . Dirty, scruffy, maroon, and being pulled by a wheezy, leaky, equally scruffy tank engine. The journey was to Darlington and changing at Thornaby.

John

• Like 1