Hawthorn Dene

Les1952

Ah yes, but that was a BR train whereas the three six-wheelers are NCB coaches that were secondhand from the LMS in the thirties or forties at the latest.

I remember as a small boy going to Scarborough on holiday.  For some reason I travelled with my aunt and uncle while my parents went separately by the other route.  Despite only being three at the time I've worked out that we went via Middlesbrough and Whitby while they went via York (we started in Darlington BTW).

How do I know?  I remember we were in a compartment and I remember the engine running round en route.  The only place that could have happened would be Whitby West Cliff.  I remember the outside of the coaches as red of some shade, and the engine as black.  Not bad for a three year old but it is the earliest train journey I remember. 

There is a three coach scruffy train of short compartment coaches on HD, the local behind the D20.  I'll try to get a pic this weekend.

All the very best.

Les

• Like 2

Breaking news..

A phone call this evening from a show manager in the North East, followed by an email with the form, now returned.

More details of which show as soon as it is confirmed.

Les

ps- pics and things from Kirkby in Ashfield to follow.  The layout is now at BMRC HQ set up ready for Andy's visit....

• Like 2

Pics from Kirkby in Ashfield

Best Layout trophy was won by John Spence and Steve Weston with Melton Mowbray North.  Given that John's "Bishop Wearburn" was the layout that inspired me to model County Durham in the first place I'm well pleased with that decision.  As it was John and Steve spent quite a lot of time looking at Hawthorn Dene and chatting about the lighting rig and picking my brains about DCC in general and Powercabs in particular.  On the latter I'm sure there are many better brains to pick than mine, but availability seemed to be the criterion.

The pics

post-13358-0-85552200-1444742725_thumb.jpg

First the correct loco for a pic of the new Type 2.  The two class 27s did a lot of the work, particularly on Day 2 when I'd managed to put the two class 24s out of action by consisting them.  The consist didn't work and neither would then run outside of the consist.  Yesterday I readdressed each in turn then gave them the same running number to set them up as a double-header.

post-13358-0-64635300-1444742723_thumb.jpg

Slightly dodgy pic of the second J39 passing Barry and John.  I took two of this- the first was blurred and this has the loco hiding behind an out-of-focus signal.

post-13358-0-71462400-1444742722_thumb.jpg

The brake tender showing the work done on it- and also highlighting the amount that still needs to be done.  Taken before I tried consisting the class 24s.  I'll bring this home from the clubroom tomorrow evening and finish the work so it is available if Andy wants to photograph it.  Nobody told me the lettering is wrong, so it must be passable.  The pics of brake tenders I have all seem to be lettered differently.  This one has the lettering it should have, but not necessarily in the right place- shades of Eric Morecambe, I wonder is ERIC is available as a nameplate for it.

post-13358-0-86400900-1444742724_thumb.jpg

Lastly the D20 on the train of tatty non-corridoor coaches. First is a new Farish suburban, middle one is a celerestory by Arnold repainted by Mr Simon, and the back one is a whitemetal North Eastern celerestory push-pull driving brake with portholes in the end, still in mock teak livery and running on some distinctively odd bogies which aren't part of the kit.  I've currently got the G5 away at DCC Supplies for chipping.  Hopefully they won't have to remove too much of the cab weight.  I'd like the push-pull coach behind the G5, preferably with another coach in the rake.

Les

• Like 5

Pleased about that.  Looking forward to actually meeting you at last.

Now a question.  Are you the John who was a young trainspotter in the Horden area with a mate called Barry?

Les

No, that's not me.  I used to watch trains go by from the steps just south of Hawthorne viaduct, or one the bridges between there and the colliery, or watch the colliery traffic shunting from the top of the 'C' streets.

All Easington, of course.

I never collected numbers, although now I sometimes wish I had.

John

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the bogies are either the ones that came with the kit or robbed off those minitrix Mark 1s. I didn't think it sat so high.

Great pics!

This one came from Trevor's clear out of stock, together with another two German celerestories I need to repaint.  Did you build it for him?  The bogies are not the ones that would have been with the kit.  I'll bring it back from the clubroom tonight and have another look at it.

Edited by Les1952

I've had a look at the brown coach.  There is an unnecessary washer between each bogie and the body.  Bad news is that one bogie comes off easily, at the other end the nut has become detatched from the coach floor meaning the bolt just rotates.  The roof is glued down so I don't think I can get the coach down to the right height without destroying it.

It is now back on the tail of its train at the clubroom.

• RMweb Gold

The Sea Coal trader's AEC Matador is now finished (which didn't take long), painted (which took forever), grotted up (which took less than forever) and in position under the bridge. I needed an excuse for it not to be moving- I don't like too much action amongst the figures.  Pauses in the action I can cope with.  See below...

attachicon.gifstalled.jpg

The wagon has stopped and Ernie is lining up the starting handle for another swing while Eric looks on.  They could have let the brakes off and just let it run down the slope, except that is how they got this far.  Grandad sits on the tailboard and waits.

I don't envy them trying the starting handle, the Matador generally being a diesel* (with a big radiator in the way!) ;)

Love the layout and little scenes across it.

*Yes, yes I know that a few were built as petrols, and some were retrofitted, just being cheeky

Edited by Corbs

• RMweb Premium

Yep I built it for him some time before 2009, I think it needed the washers so the bogies would turn sharply enough to go round radius 1 peco.

I could take a German one or two back down with me in November if you like?

I'll think about that, though there is an etched Pixels NER push-pull brake that also needs finishing.

Not a vast amount to report- except that BOTH of the B1s I bought as dodgy on eBay are now runners.  The better one had a piece of solder on the underside of the circuit board touching a piece of solder underneath it.  Moving the two apart solved the problem and the loco put in a full weekend at Kirkby-in-Ashfield with no problems- I had 61018 ready to replace it if it failed.

The second one had a duff circuit board, so I hardwired a second-hand chip.  This made a mains-hum noise so I've replaced it with a new Digitrax chip.  It runs quietly, though the wheel treads are copper-coloured indicating the loco might be getting on to being worn out.  I took the loco body off and checked the worm etc.  They seem OK but the loco runs more smoothly with the bogie off than with it on.  A bit more tweaking needed.

I've still not had confirmation that the expenses for fuel have been accepted, but the North East show is Newcastle 2016, at Gateshead Stadium.

Some pics.  These are a little dark as the only real illumination in the clubroom was behind the layout and from its own lighting.  The camera decided that was enough for it.

post-13358-0-03775100-1445593857_thumb.jpg

The second of the two B1s from eBay as spares/repair, now with a decent chip hardwired into the tender.  It isn't all that smooth at low speed, but after half-an-hour running at the club last night it will make a spare for local passenger if the D20 decides not to play for any reason.  61303 wasn't a Darlington engine, but spent some time allocated to Thornaby, which means amongst other duties it would have worked Middlesbrough to Newcastle trains.  I have pics of it outside the stripping shop at North Road works surrounded by Stanier 8Fs.  The B1 was repaired on that occasion.  At least one of the 8Fs went for scrap.

post-13358-0-34217000-1445593859_thumb.jpg

The brake tender once lettered etc took to derailing regularly and randomly.  I've taken that to be because the bogie I'd used had the early Farish narrow coupling.  I managed to find a more recent Farish coach in the spares box so I've substituted the rear bogie from that.  I gave the train with the brake tender half an hour of running last night and it stayed on the track throughout.  Hopefully it will stay that way, at least until I can get hold of a pair of the correct Gresley bogies for it- the whitemetal Gresley bogies that came with it short out on the wheels at the end turns of the layout.

post-13358-0-73507100-1445593860_thumb.jpg

Two packets the other morning, one was 60018 back from repair and the other was the long CCT back from being looked at by Mr Simon.  I put the CCT into the train behind the B1.  It doesn't want to stay coupled to the B1 tender but there was no problem with it in the middle of the rake.  

One or two locos need looking at- and I've bought a new A2 that dropped part of its motion within six feet of being taken out of the box.  More contact with Bachmann over a broken engine.  I'm not anticipating much joy given previous experience....

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Les,

Are Dapol Gresley bogies no good for the brake tender?

Glad to hear about the Newcastle Show, but I was hoping you were going to annouince that HD would be at Hartlepool this weekend!

Here's a picture I got from the photo-forums.net web site - the pictures are free to download and I was directed to the site by Chris Davies (sadly no longer with us) whose picture this is. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Roy

post-24552-0-11234100-1445633251.jpg

Needs to be a type of bogie with the same fixing as Farish ones.  Dapol are different and one reason I've not finished the etched Pixels push-pull brake is that thebogies won't stay in place properly.  Mr Simon is going to take it back to London with him when he comes up next month to operate Furtwangen at Spalding.  Hopefully the Mr Simon magic will get that one into service.

The N gauge Society does them, but they have been out of stock for some time.   Once they come back in stock I'll get a pair.  Nobody has commented on the wrong bogies so far.  Indeed a lot have to ask what it is the diesel is pushing.....

As expected little joy with the A2 from Bachmann, so back to Gee Dee tomorrow.  It was their last one so it looks as if I'm going to have to swap it for an early emblem or take a refund.

All the very best

Les

Hartlepool? Maybe next year, they have had a set of details so who knows.

Edited by Les1952

• RMweb Premium

Hi MHB,

Yep the CCT is in maroon, under three layers of powders. The number transfers are from Modelmaster pack 2635 (ex LMS/LNER CCTs yellow) and the lining is the yellow coach lining fox sell as slightly too big for N.

SI851172_zpsehqjhjsp.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

post-1-0-58743000-1446203460.jpg

Andy has placed this -the first of his pics of the layout from last Wednesday - on the first page of the topic about Next February's Doncaster show. Under Warners events- Festival of British Railway Modelling 2016 - Doncaster 13/14 February

Having seen this pic I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.  While I'm about it may I publicly thank Andy for a very pleasant and enjoyable photoshoot.  I hope you'll come back and do Rise Park when it is finished.

Les

• Like 5

Thinks- must finish doing the insides of those empty hoppers this weekend.

New loco today- double chimneyed A2.  Can I get it run in, renumbered as VELOCITY or SUGAR PALM and weathered before Braunstone next Saturday?

Les

Answer to question-  yes I could.

post-13358-0-32710100-1446685541_thumb.jpg

New addition 60538 VELOCITY, a Tyneside stalwart, as renumbered and weathered.   It is missing its reversing rod which I found loose in the box when I got it home.  Still, that was an improvement on the single-chimneyed one, which shed part of its valve gear six feet from being placed on the track.   I have pictures of showing VELOCITY a little cleaner than the average Tyneside pacific. possibly having been transferred from Gateshead to Tweedmouth Heaton may have helped.  BRONZINO might well have been cleaner, but York's SUGAR PALM was usually very filthy.

Photographed on the test track as the layout is still at the clubroom until Friday afternoon, when Jim and I will load it into the car ready for Braunstone.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

The Pacific Fleet

post-13358-0-76431600-1446728990_thumb.jpg

Thirteeen A3s including the two from the showcase that aren't currently DCC fitted.  Seven A4s including Silver Link from the showcase.   One A1, the other one STILL being away for repair.  Two A2s.  One A2/2, currently waiting repair.  Two Britannias.  Total is in picture is 26 of which 22 are available for immediate service on Hawthorn Dene and three more could run immediately on Rise Park..

post-13358-0-28838800-1446728989_thumb.jpg

A different angle.   Missing are a blue A4 which is in the care of Mr Simon, a green Farish A4 Lord Faringdon- neither of which are DCC fitted, and 60124 still away for repair.  Someone on the N-gauge Forum said he would like a pic, so I posted it here as well.

Les

• Like 3

Home from Braunstone

Despite going as a crew of two we survived- though getting the layout into St Peter's Church through a doorway that is too narrow was interesting....

Two locos decided they were going to cause problems- A3 60070 is stuttering a bit- I must have a look at the drive train and see if it needs servicing- and J27 65860 decided it needed a wheel clean.  Against that the new A2 ran well and the surviving A1 also got to the end of a show for the first time (though as it was a one-day show that is a bit of a cheat...)

The layout is on end in the shed to allow Furtwangen Ost to go out to Spalding and Birmingham before Christmas.  It will be re-erected in the new year.

Les