Hawthorn Dene

Les1952

Progress on relaying

Two new points arrived this week and have been installed.  I've also relaid this end of the pit line through the backscene and round the 180 degree turn, easing out the tight spot that was causing a few more problems.  It seemed like a good idea since I've removed the MDF tops at the end to replace them with stronger plywood- this is now cut and ready to install as soon as I've finished working underneath.  this one also shows the continuation pit buildings that are just visible through the hole in the backsceen- the other end has grassy bank.

post-13358-0-46605900-1427997399_thumb.jpg

Look Ma, no track!

post-13358-0-13669000-1427997402_thumb.jpg

Two new points in place, with new wire being run for an additional section I need where fishplates have needed to be removed.

post-13358-0-77927500-1427997403_thumb.jpg

Wonky track- it was supposed to be this wonky when first laid and it does actually run well.  Trains give a prototypical lurch when passing over the odd join, but even Mr Simon's six-wheeled coaches stay on. the track.  The removed fishplates have allowed me to set the point to allow locos onto the coal drops without shorting out the whole layout (the reason I'd used insulfrog points last time).

Running a pair of feeds to the drops hasn't been fun., largely because of the way the strengthening ribs underneath go.

post-13358-0-25496900-1427997405_thumb.jpg

It doesn't matter which way you want to run wires, you have very few places where a drill can be used to make holes in the ribs- and those that can be drilled usually end up where you can't get fingers in to reach the wire.  Two wires run this afternoon but not working- I'll have to revisit the soldered joins again- adding feeds to bits that are already scenicked isn't recommended!

More work tomorrow and Saturday, then the annual pilgrimage to York show on Sunday.

Les

• Like 3

Shed this morning.  I thought  "I'll try a screwdriver across the gap first to see which side of the drops has no power"   Line to drops worked first time.

Good news- I got locos running slowly to the screens.

Bad news- they short the back of the point blade coming out again.   Shopping list for York- some plastic angle to make checkrails.  Typically I seem to have every size of Evergreen strip but the one I need.

Good news.  I got much of the ground cover around the new points restored, and some more grass on the track behind the pigeon crees.

Bad news.  I caught my sleeve on the distant signal and decapitated it- photo to follow.  Repaired with superglue.

I also got the first coat of primer on the new end tops and did a bit of track strengthening round the ends.

All the best.

Les

Edited by Les1952

Pics from Saturday's dubious progress.

post-13358-0-49754800-1428258286_thumb.jpg

The poorly signal, now repaired again.

post-13358-0-28225100-1428258450_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-33983300-1428258453_thumb.jpg

Progress bedding in the points.  Next stage is to grot the rail sides without grotting the top.

post-13358-0-72488100-1428258282_thumb.jpg

The grass track looking towards the colliery end.  I've run a loco across this and haven't adversely affected pickup, and there isn't anything new for the rods of the 350HP diesel to catch in.  A little work with a track rubber and that bit is ready to go.

post-13358-0-60497100-1428258284_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way from the colliery- the transition from yard to grassed is becoming a bit more gradual.

York show produced the small angle strip I was looking for, together with point wire in PTFE tubing and Sprat-and-Winkle couplings for the OO stock, and some Mansell coach wheels for a 3-axle coach I found in the loft.  Thinking of 3-axle coaches it is time I found a box for the North Staffordshire set so they can run on HD. 

York also yielded a chat with Jeremy from Digitrains with a tip on re-booting the sound chip in Lemberg to save a trip to Lincoln.  Nice also to see LNER4479 doing his bit for the senior gauge, and helping Marske have more trains moving than the show average...... 

Good show but an awful lot of static layouts.  I must give a deal more thought to making No Place/Seldomseen (whichever)  active.

Time to fall asleep in front of the telly?

Les

• Like 2

Many thanks for the compliment. 

The hedging is by Jarvis (I think), bought from Access Models in Newark, though plenty of other model shops keep it.  Most of mine has dilute PVA run onto it then various scatter thrown at it and vacuumed away the following day.  The light green section up to the (Merit?) telegraph pole hasn't been done yet.

Only problem with it is that it is a bit trapezoidal in section rather than rectangular.

Hope this helps.

Les

Today's Progress

Another good day in the shed.  The angle iron for the line at the back of the colliery is painted, and the end covers applied.  I've discovered the black gloss paint and brush cleaner are both OK, but haven't looked in the other shed for a suitable brush.  I'll do that tonight so if there isn't one I can use my Old Git card at Homebase on the way home tomorrow.

post-13358-0-85689700-1428342395_thumb.jpg

Point sides given a coat of rust, slightly different dark shade to other rust.  I've also used the spare touching up rusty bits elsewhere.  Note that Mr Swan has come adrift- perhaps the exertion was too much for him.  A spot of superglue has now been applied to his nether regions and he has been stuck back next to the small pond.

post-13358-0-25571300-1428342394_thumb.jpg

The new lid at the Hawthorn end screwed down into place.

post-13358-0-33363000-1428342392_thumb.jpg

The one at the colliery end- the heavy tub is holding it down while some strong glue below it sets overnight.

Railway club tomorrow so the next building session is likely to be Wednesday.

Time to see if I've any eBay sales..

Les

• Like 2

Wednesday update.

Not a lot done today to the layout but the lids at the ends have each had a coat of gloss black- a vast improvement on their MDF predecessors.  Most of the day has been sorting out locos-

60018 Wild Swan had shed a traction tyre.  Looking back DCC Supplies had replaced the tyres and degreased the wheels last August.  It has gone back to them as a warranty claim.

60045 Lemberg had lost its sound. Talking to Jeremy on Digitrains stand at York he suggested a factory reset.  Done but still no sound.  The wires to the speaker seem OK so I'm off to Lincoln in the morning with it to have the sound file reblown.  If that doesn't work it can go to Wickness Models for Douglas to have a look at the chip.

60070 Gladiateur was stuttering.  I've cleaned the wheels and squirted oil onto the top of the worm (long needle through the firebox) and given it a run.  Now behaving itself.

60116 Hal O'the Wynd didn't go at all.  When I swapped tenders between the two A1s to put all the faults in the same engine I'd forgotten to change the address.   Changing it from 124 to 116 means I've a working A1 after all.....

63712 had been staggering and stopping randomly.  This I eventually traced to the drive rod catching the rivet on the coupling rod behind it intermittently.  A bit of judicious bending means it runs, though it doesn't like turning right and occasionally still catches under the new lids at the layout ends.  Fortunately it normally has to turn left and can cope with that...

I bought another J39 on eBay last night.  This one will become 64910, a Heaton engine with a straight-sided 4200 gallon tender so a possible sighting at Easington in about 1961.

Still a lot to do.

Les

• Like 1

Thursday update

The trip to Digitrains didn't result in an A3 that chuffs, so it and the 2MT are off to Wickness Models tomorrow to be sorted out.

I did, however, get one of the white tiny Digitrax decoders, so the second J27 is on the workbench to be chipped.  I've also put a decoder into Britannia 70000 as a spare express loco.

Apart from that the new brass uprights for the front fencing are now in place.

More work tomorrow.

Les

Friday update

Not a lot done today as it was shopping day.

New J39 arrived this morning.  Tested and chip re-addressed.  I've removed the number and the tender crests and renumbered it 64910 with heraldically correct late crests as Heaton's 64910 had a General Overhaul in 1959.  I'll weather it tomorrow.

I've successfully chipped the tender of the remaining J27 and it runs.  It is going to need a lot of time milling out the tender as the top won't go back down.  A trip into town first thing to get some more bits for my minidrill as I've worn out the others- the J27 tender finished them off!

Pics maybe tomorrow.

Les

• Like 2

Pics as promised

post-13358-0-41544800-1428791628_thumb.jpg

65776 now chipped at last- though in the end having worn out the dremel tools I bought this morning plus a diamond tipped one I found buried on the workbench I cheated and drilled a hole in the tender end big enough to pass the chip through...

post-13358-0-00238600-1428791630_thumb.jpg

... meaning I had to paint the white plastic surrounding the decoder black and fit a storm sheet to hide it.   The coal rails got a bit bent with all of the less-than-gentle treatment so will need re-engineering.

post-13358-0-98808100-1428791626_thumb.jpg

New addition 64910 has had a first lot of weathering, stopped short as the varnish on the other cabside had missed the 9, which has had to be reapplied.  I'll put a spot more varnish on the cabside tomorrow and finish the weathering on Monday.

post-13358-0-74454000-1428791631_thumb.jpg

Last but not least, 70000 will stand in for poorly express locos, maybe only to the extent of being an available spare.

Time for bed, said Zebedee

BOING!

• Like 4

Sunday in the workshop.

Music by Slade, Meatloaf and the Moody Blues kept visitors away so I could get work done.....

Having given the bits of angle plenty of time to set the first part of the day was spent getting locos to run reliably into and out of the colliery.  Cruel close-ups show a lot more than punters can see- these two points are at the back under the aerial flight.

post-13358-0-36863500-1428866714_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-72994000-1428866711_thumb.jpg

The angles have worked.  Two of the three locos tried run n and out as far as the screens.  The Jinty will go through at slow speed while Farish WD saddletank No.8 needs a bit of a run at it. diesel 82 just doesn't want to know so will be relegated to running empties.  However this does at least mean that we can draw a rake of wagons out of the screens.  With the line down to the drops also working and decent slow running through the colliery at last we should be able to ring the changes a bit more, though having said that most punters are quite happy just to watch the trains roll by.

I've called a halt on layout work, leaving Monday and Thursday to test and clean locos and weather another half-dozen hoppers for the top level.

Other jobs ticked off-

• The fencing along the very front is finished and touched up.
  • The Nissen hut that ended up on the floor at Nottingham has had the white areas covered over with rust.
  • Some grotty junk has been added to the ground near the huts.

On the loco side the J39 now reads 64910 on both sides (rather than 64.10 on one) and has had a dab of matt varnish to cover the new number.  Lamps to add but I'll have to check the other locos first before deciding what class of train to allocate it to.

I also found time to fit a Zen decoder with stay alive to my OO Hornby Magazine Sentinel- the longest part of that was getting the body back on without trapping wires.  It also now has the name ARIAL, from a set of LFC plates that have been in the box for severalty-many years.

Almost cat feeding time.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

Monday- layout ready to pack

Shed undisturbed again- Slade and Quo repelling boarders.  I attacked the blade of the point leading to the shed before powering ip the layout this morning, then attacked the crud in the ballast leading to the engine shed.  Result!  The Jinty and No.8 both run into the shed.  Not only that but when checking wheels etc I found that Peckett No.1 and the Matchbox will also run into the shed. 

So-four out of five available colliery locos will work the screens and hide in the shed.  Definitely some more action this outing.

post-13358-0-94044200-1428953712_thumb.jpg

64910 has been lamped for local goods, which will allow it to work most of the goods trains on the layout- they are all slow goods, even the fast ones.  The two covhops will go into a Southbound train as if they are on delivery to Steetley Magnesite at old Hartlepool from the builders (and got lost unless they were built by Hurst Nelson.....)

Now for the deliberate mistake.  I've been describing 65776 as a J27.  Wrong!  I found the other J27 in the box when i checked it- that one is 65817.  Looking again at 65776 it has round windows and is the J26.  A comparison pic (again) will show-

post-13358-0-92171400-1428953716_thumb.jpg

Note that 65817 as shaped spectacles and balance weights on the centre wheels, 65776 having round spectacles.  Simples, really.  The other one, 65860 has shaped spectacles and no balance weights (though maybe it should have) so relies on its number in the J27 series to identify it as a J27.

post-13358-0-90881000-1428953714_thumb.jpg

A side view of 65817, showing that it also has taken a bash about the coal rails.  That fireman first appeared on the tender when it was analogue and lettered LNER, doing a few exhibitions on Trevor Webster's Parnhams (now sold) pushing the J25 that now has the storm sheet.

cat just thrown up on kitchen floor- feeding time might be a little delayed.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 5

Cotgrave Show day 1

Knackered.  One operator down as Geoff's wife has a vomiting bug.   Rushing round like someone not right filling in for the exhibition manager this morning when I could have done with time on the layout.

Still, the layout is running well even if there are a spate of minor niggles with some of the engines- e.g.  no working A1 again!!!!!!!

Les

Cotgrave Show day 2

Still knackered.   Arrived at 8.15 with nobody to open up. 

At end of Saturday we had a few locos needing looking at-

two A4s with locked up bogies

The A1 just not running smoothly

The O4 catching its valve gear

Both J27s staling running in

The Class 27 and one J25 stalling running in at the other end.

By the time the show opened I'd got the track scraped where the J27s were stalling and they were back in service.  One A4 sorted, the other one needs a bit more time spent on it. The J25 was fine after wheel and track cleaning but the class 27 stalled if run in too slowly all day.

Pleasant day but tiring.  The layout is now on end until the middle of October, with a note to take the lids off the end and do the track under them when next erected.  I'll work on the locos in the meantime using the test track. 

I'll post updates on show invites when I know anything.

All the very best

Les

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not a lot to report.

The layout is still on its end while I get on with No Place.

60018 is back from DCC Supplies with new traction tyres again.  Lemberg and 46477 are back from Wickness Models.  The 2MT has a new speaker and the A3 a new decoder exchanged by Zimo (not free, unfortunately).

I've three show enquiries at the moment, two for 2016 and one for 2017.  More when they materialise as firm bookings.

Coal trains still run through Easington- I photographed this one out of my Travelodge room window in Hartlepool.  There were four between 5pm and sundown, three full going South and one empty going the other way.  This was the only one where I was able to start up the camera fast enough.

post-13358-0-59040100-1432026988_thumb.jpg

Nearly time to get the bus down to the station.  Manchester and a few days of paid employment beckon.  Need to augment the pension from time to time.....

Les

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Coal trains still run through Easington- I photographed this one out of my Travelodge room window in Hartlepool. There were four between 5pm and sundown, three full going South and one empty going the other way.

Les

Imported 'Coals to Newcastle' heading for the Yorkshire power stations. Who'd have thought it.

You get Biomass trains too, plus the occasional DRS nuclear flask train to and from Hartlepool power station.

Are any of the planned shows 'Oop North'?

Edited by BoD

One could be- but I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

I'm hoping the article in Railway Modeller in the next few months will jog a memory or two....

All the very best

Les

Still quiet.

No new bookings to report, but I've had an email from Steve Flint to say Hawthorn Dene is still on track to be featured in August's Railway Modeller.

All the very best

Les

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thumbnail pic of Hawthorn Dene on p618 of the new Railway Modeller.  Confirms the article is in the August issue.

Describes it as "main line action and colliery branch", close enough.

Loco news.

A1 Kenilworth still away for repair.  A1 Hal O'the Wynd partly stripped yesterday to look at why it wasn't going.  I couldn't find anything so as it still wasn't running I did what I should have done first and took the decoder out and put a blanking plate in.  Tried on Furtwangen ost- runs perfectly.  Back goes decoder, onto programming track.  "Can't read CV".  Replace decoder with a spare (the one from Kenilworth as it happens).  Runs perfectly.  Try decoder in another chassis then bin it. Another cheapo Bachmann decoder bites the dust.......

On the A3 front the two with valve gear problems have become one good engine.  As a result ex-NQP Colorado is now permanently in the spares bin and Book Law is back in service.

One dodgy J27 and the O1 still on the works line but no hurry to do them- next show isn't till November.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hawthorn Dene has three double pages in the current (August) Railway Modeller.

Text including typos by me apart from the last paragraph which was added by Steve Flint from info I'd included when I emailed the exhibition dates- the last sentence is a bit twee and not mine at all (fortunately).

Pictures by Ray Lightfoot, who spent five hours taking them.

Hartlepool and Newcastle shows have layout details collected at shows.  Hopefully the article will remind one or other HD exists and produce a booking.

All the very best

Les

Guess who can't count- the article is actually five sides.

SWMBO would like to point out SHE made the layout curtain.  I assisted with the fitting..........

And the credits for all the help from the Easington Diaspora didn't get cut.  Once again, very many thanks one and all.

Les

• Like 2

Just back from foreign parts so didn't get to buy the RM until today.  The layout spread looks great and like Andy, I'll have a thorough read later.  You must be thrilled to have HD in print - well done Les,

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1