Hest Bank in 4mm scale

terryd147

It is far too long, says the follower (thanks Colin) of this forum, since anything was posted here, so here are some more pictures, this time with a bit of a

narrative.

Well, I tried, but as for attaching photos, which I have done a hundred times before, it can't be done.

I'll post this, just to prove I'm still alive, but I'm not holding my breath about my future capability to stick any pictures on here!!!

This is attempt number 2 to attach pictures. I can write text until it comes out of my ears, but every attempt to post pictures has come to naught.

I don't know what to do, apart from saying "B****r it" and giving up!!!! I swear I'm doing the same as last time, clicking on "browse", selecting a picture, clicking on "attach file"., but it doesn't b****y well attach. Why!!

This is attempt number 2 to attach pictures. I can write text until it comes out of my ears, but every attempt to post pictures has come to naught.

I don't know what to do, apart from saying "B****r it" and giving up!!!! I swear I'm doing the same as last time, clicking on "browse", selecting a picture, clicking on "attach file"., but it doesn't b****y well attach. Why!!

• RMweb Premium

There are problems with loading images at present Terry. They need to be reduced in size. I take mine down to 1900 x 1200 using Irfanview and they then work OK.

Thanks for that, Ronnie.

More to follow soon, I hope.

EUREKA!!!! As Archimedes said "I have found it". Actually, it's a cop out, because all I have done is to use an older digital camera with poorer definition which requires a smaller file size. The pictures are only about 350Kb in size and consequently can be uploaded without infringing the magic 1Mb limit.

So, in the words of the late Max Bygraves, "I wanna tell you a story". The stories are, at the risk of insulting our viewer's intelligence, not weighty, but they do describe a short sequence of operations at Hest.

post-15489-0-74289400-1383066413_thumb.jpg

Arriving at the signal gantry, our 8F hauled oil train from Heysham comes to a halt. It has to await the passage of a train on the down main before proceeding onto the main line itself.

post-15489-0-37034300-1383066484_thumb.jpg

And this is what we are waiting for: a 4F on a local freight has acquired precedence over its larger cousin and is leaving the fiddle yard (pretending all the time to be on the way north from Lancaster).

post-15489-0-62625000-1383066546_thumb.jpg

Here we see it making its way onto the road which passes round the back of the up fiddle yard and...

post-15489-0-55190700-1383066580_thumb.jpg

then it approaches the scenic section of the layout on the down main.

post-15489-0-63898400-1383067468_thumb.jpg

It passes beneath the A5105 Coastal Road bridge and overhauls the waiting oil train.

post-15489-0-79868400-1383067514_thumb.jpg

A clear road ahead is indicated by the gantry and its gallows home signal.

post-15489-0-13035400-1383067713_thumb.jpg

The 4F gathers pace as it reaches the foot of the 1/477 incline and clatters over the diamond crossing.

post-15489-0-56075500-1383067748_thumb.jpg

It passes through the platform road at Hest Bank station itself before proceeding northward over the level crossing and disappearing (through a hole in the sky) back into the fiddle yard.

post-15489-0-37087800-1383067778_thumb.jpg

Here the 4F negotiates the pointwork into the yard area before arriving back at its allotted loop. Behind the 4F we see a Compound 4-4-0 with a Leeds - Morecambe working (pretending it's heading south from Carnforth) just about to enter the scenic section and slow through Hest itself to await the road to Morecambe.

post-15489-0-21656100-1383068257_thumb.jpg

The Compound glides to a halt to await the road to Morecambe. The 8F, having been given the road after the 4F has cleared the section, moves its train of tanks (some of which are rather too clean!) out onto the down main to continue northward to Carnforth.

post-15489-0-29260800-1383068476_thumb.jpg

Here we see it from a different viewpoint looking north.

post-15489-0-58405100-1383068810_thumb.jpg

And finally, the junction is cleared, the compound gets the road and traverses the diamond crossing onto the bi-directional single line to Bare Lane where it becomes double and leads on towards Morecambe.

Edited by TerryD1471
  • Like 5

Hi Ronnie

That's a superb site you've pointed me to. The info supplied also confirms that, through idleness/inertia I have managed to retain a number on the 4F which could not be more appropriate, in that it was shedded at Carnforth ( a mere 3 miles down the line) for the entire period that my model covers. Serendipity indeed!

• Like 1

Spent a pleasant couple of days at the Wolverhampton show last weekend. Catching up with old mates is always good and as often happens, I felt fired up enough to do a bit more scenic work. "About b****y time", did I hear someone say? It is amazing though, when you do a little work and it suddenly seems to make a huge difference. It's a welcome change from doing a lot of work and no-one noticing the difference! Not even me!

As winter draws on, I can feel some more coachbuilding coming on; a lot of the vehicles started last winter are still not done, so finishing these would be a good point to kick off from. The chassis and body of "City of Salford" are also gazing at me accusingly from the workbench; I don't think I can hold off much longer!

Also I acquired, through the sad demise of Steve Johns, a couple of Comet 4-6-0 Jubilee/Scot chassis at the Wolves show. More grist for the mill, methinks.

• Like 2

Good to hear Terry. I look forward to seeing Salford take shape - few locos beat an Ivatt Coronation for me. I think you've seen my effort at 46256 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65335-motive-power-for-camden-shed/?p=872202 Are you building the Comet chassis for this one as well, or using the Hornby model as a base?

Please do show some more of your coach building in due course, and any 4-6-0 in construction too.

I know what you mean about scenic work as well. When do you envisage ballasting?

Always a very interested follower of Hest, even if I haven't posted too often.

Iain

Good to hear Terry. I look forward to seeing Salford take shape - few locos beat an Ivatt Coronation for me. I think you've seen my effort at 46256 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65335-motive-power-for-camden-shed/?p=872202 Are you building the Comet chassis for this one as well, or using the Hornby model as a base?

Please do show some more of your coach building in due course, and any 4-6-0 in construction too.

I know what you mean about scenic work as well. When do you envisage ballasting?

Always a very interested follower of Hest, even if I haven't posted too often.

Iain

Thanks for the post Iain. I've just left some comments on your "Motive power forum" re 46256 etc.

Being of a certain age (well, alright, an old f**t, then), I have accumulated some bits and pieces over the years and 46257 is a modified late Hornby Dublo body shell (c. 1962) on top of a scratch built chassis, bits which came from a lovely old boy and consummate modeller called Paul Bromige in Wolverhampton. It is about to receive a D13 motor with 40:1 gears and a Comet tender.

You have pricked my conscience about the ballast on Hest. I think I left a bit of a query on your Camden site about the type of material you've used for ballast and I would appreciate some info on that. I have plenty of grey granite in stock, but can't help feeling it's a bit light coloured. Any advice would be welcome.

ATB

Terry D

Edited by TerryD1471

SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES

At long last, I have managed to post some video footage on Youtube, shot a few months ago. The reproduction quality is poor because I have had to use the video function of my old Olympus (non SLR) digital camera, but at least you can't see the warts on my models! I am not posting a link, because any interested party merely has to visit the Youtube homepage and type in "Hest Bank in 00" and you'll get them all.

Apologies again for the lack of quality (both in reproduction and also in the model, although the scenic work has improved since these scenes were shot), but at least it proves that the train set works.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Alan.

I did keep an eye out for you at the Wolves show, but regrettably failed to recognise a round dark-complexioned moustachioed person with green eyes!!

Thanks once again.

Terry D

I am actually gey haired. The pic is from when I tried Grecian 1999

Great to see the pictures of the layout Terry, if you can't have a bus, maybe a wedding going on, or a marching band perhaps?

!!

When will you start ballasting?

Cheers

Tony

The chorus of folks telling me I should be ballasting grows ever louder. It wasn't top of the list, but I guess it should be! Thankfully, Ron has reminded me of a technique that I had forgotten, so I'll be making a start.

Actually I do have 2 buses, a Weymann-bodied AEC Regent II of Morecambe & Heysham Corp'n and a Ribble Leyland PD2, both of which are, I think, authentic and which will appear once I have got some Irish navvies in to do the tarmac, sorr! I know Rob (Herbert Hopkins) of Hadley Green fame is dead against them, but it's my train set! As for weddings and marching bands........! Nuf sed.

The chorus of folks telling me I should be ballasting grows ever louder. It wasn't top of the list, but I guess it should be! Thankfully, Ron has reminded me of a technique that I had forgotten, so I'll be making a start.

The syringes are in the post to you as I type. 2nd class ‘cos I is tight but I guess “blazing rush” is not part of the equation. Get yourself a Ballast SpreaderNo doubt who ever posts next will tell you more!

Edited by RonnieS