Introduction of class 153s onto looe branch

Nat

Hi, sorry for the slightly odd question, and hope this is the right place for it!

I know the 153's were converted in 1991/92, but can anyone tell me when they were first regularly used on the looe banch? The reason being that I am modelling sections of this line and was aiming to do it prior to the changes made in 1998 (notably to the halts at Sandplace & St Keyne).

If the answer to the first question is yes, then would they have carried the regional railways stripes livery?

Many thanks, Nat

• RMweb Gold

Sorry I can't be absolutely specific about introduction date here, but I've found pictures in John Vaughan's "Branches & Byways - Cornwall " of 153 362 on the Looe line in September 1995 and 153 373 on the Newquay line in September 1994 (both in Regional Railways "blue stripes" livery). So definitely used before your 1998 cut-off date. ;)

HTH

EDIT - just for interest, the earliest picture in Devon I've found is 153 380 at Crediton in November 1992 :)

Guest 34008Padstow

I've just had a look through my branchline to Looe book and have found a pic of 153362 at coombejunction in october 1993, the year that they began to appear on the line. hope this helps

Thanks to all for the comments - I originally found this forum when a google search came up with Pete's Coombe and Moorswater layouts - which I must say look absolutely fantastic! The eventual aim is a bit more ambitious (ooh, say the whole horseshoe from Liskeard to Coombe J), but as I have been out of the modelling scene for over 20 years, I thought I'd try to start simple with Sandplace (and a fiddleyard based more loosely on Liskeard Platform 3). Can't get much more simple than Sandplace :)

Oh, and at the risk of alienating myself from about 98% of, you, it's in T gauge:

post-15242-0-42615900-1334174131_thumb.jpgpost-15242-0-65005300-1334173912_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your kind comments Nat.

In T gauge :O That's impressive...You could probably do the whole line from Moorswater to Looe including Liskeard and still use less space than me...:D

Look forward to see it progress....and yes, that 153 looks Tremendous...

• RMweb Premium

The Looe branch is one of the least-used in Cornwall when taken across the year (in common with all the others it sees a marked summer spike in traffic) and a single car is more than adequate most of the time. 153 bubblecars went onto the branch as soon as they were available as much as anything because it released a 2-car unit for use on a busier duty and were definitely there by 1993.

• RMweb Gold

Nice vid Mickey.

Is that one of yours? If so, you must have been balancing in one of those pedal boats whist filming the first part of it.

Can almost smell the sea air too... :D

They were definately still using DMUs in 1993 also....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C6fmTgznAs

My aim was to have a period where I could have a bit of a crossover of stock - I prefer the 1st gen diesel stock, but thought easiest to start off with a 153 and see how it goes. I think a T gauge Prairie might be going a bit too far for the time being!

Apparently some class 155s were used on the looe branch during the busier periods

I think I found a photo on the internet somewhere of a rather grubby 155 set at looe when looking for 153's - but I can't find it again now!

The eventual aim is a bit more ambitious

Having re-read that, it sounds like I'm aiming to be more ambitious than Pete. I'm not - I just meant more ambitious than just Sandplace!

Again, thanks for all the helpful and positive comments. I'll start a new thread either in the Cornish Railways or T Gauge sections when I have any progreess updates.

Archived