Street Running in the USA or Canada

trisonic

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

If they did, then I guess the Strasburg Railroad would never have got off the ground?

https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/

Now one of, if not the, oldest Railroads in the USA still operating under it's original charter. Oh and still uses steam to haul modern revenue freight occasionally, too. :locomotive:

As in a few days recently

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Great photo :) 

I thought Lancaster was Amish country where they believe new-fangled contraptions like steam engines are the work of Satan?

There's an Amish community near La Plata MO station and you can frequently see them boarding Amtrak.

I notice the men just swagger about while the wives carry all the luggage, quite often carpet bags.:o

Last year on a nice day there was quite clearly an outing to Horseshoe Curve with several families, so they even do leisure. I doubt the car park was full of buggies.

I suppose they could've been Mennonites, rather than Amish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mdvle said:

As with many things, it's complicated.

See this reference about Amish and cell phones for example

https://amishamerica.com/do-amish-use-telephones/

A very interesting article. I couldn't help smiling at this bit, though -

most Amish have developed ways to use phones while still keeping the potentially threatening technology at arm’s length.

Sorry but I now have a mental picture of a person in 19th Century dress shouting at his mobile, held waaay out in front of him.... :mosking:

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a picture of a Union Pacific Railroad local train in Turlock, California. The train is running down Castor Street. Turlock is along the California State Route 99(CA-99 or SR-99) freeway; about 90 miles(144 kilometers) southeast of Sacramento and about 80 miles(128 kilometers) northwest of Fresno.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/215600/

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

About two days ago, I had spent much of the day having fun in the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area. Here's two pictures of a TriMet Westside Express Service(WES) commuter rail train in suburban Beaverton, Oregon taken from my smartphone. The train does street running for about two blocks along Southwest(SW) Lombard Avenue. In these pictures, I am standing at the intersection of Southwest Lombard Avenue and Southwest Broadway Street. I had ridden down this commuter route to Wilsonville, Oregon and back to Beaverton. Tammie's Hobbies model train store is about 200 feet from where I am standing. I had bought some N scale cars at Tammie's Hobbies and at The Hobby Smith model train store in Portland.

20210616_225337.jpg.58ce8f16dc598753b384475d7b3b6430.jpg

20210616_225553.jpg.4e06b4666d1ce679bae6138b1bcedaf0.jpg

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/06/2021 at 06:59, Wendell1976 said:

About two days ago, I had spent much of the day having fun in the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area. Here's two pictures of a TriMet Westside Express Service(WES) commuter rail train in suburban Beaverton, Oregon taken from my smartphone. The train does street running for about two blocks along Southwest(SW) Lombard Avenue. In these pictures, I am standing at the intersection of Southwest Lombard Avenue and Southwest Broadway Street. I had ridden down this commuter route to Wilsonville, Oregon and back to Beaverton. Tammie's Hobbies model train store is about 200 feet from where I am standing. I had bought some N scale cars at Tammie's Hobbies and at The Hobby Smith model train store in Portland.

20210616_225337.jpg.58ce8f16dc598753b384475d7b3b6430.jpg

20210616_225553.jpg.4e06b4666d1ce679bae6138b1bcedaf0.jpg

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

Do they still use any of their RDC's on that line, as I believe they have cut the service back compared to when I was there in 2017, and it was Peak Hours M-F only even then....

17-1111

That WES line uses former Oregon Electric and SP "Red Electric" trackage.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Do they still use any of their RDC's on that line, as I believe they have cut the service back compared to when I was there in 2017, and it was Peak Hours M-F only even then....

17-1111

That WES line uses former Oregon Electric and SP "Red Electric" trackage.

The WES uses diesel multiple units(DMU) from the former Colorado Railcar. I don't think they use the old RDC's anymore if I am not mistaken.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WES_Commuter_Rail

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, WessexEclectic said:

Do you happen to know When and Where it was taken?

So first step in a situation like this is to go to images.google.com and click on the camera icon in the search box - this gets you what Google calls reverse image search where you can either provide an URL or upload an image and Google will attempt to match it.

This failed with this image, so next I did a search on the photographers name (Dave Blaze) and I found his Flickr page, which quickly lead to this image.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151111185@N04/51356737456/in/album-72157712081870086/

He provides full details in the description.

His album page is at the link below, lots of potentially interesting photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151111185@N04/albums

The Grafton & Upton might be of interest - a 16 mile shortline that in the last 5 or so years has been reborn, originally with an eclectic mix of first generation power though now apparently using more suitable MP15AC units - but a browse of the album reveals that the MBTA has been using part of the G&U for deadhead moves to transfer its equipment for inspection purposes - so an excuse for an occasional passenger movement on your shortline.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, mdvle said:

courtesy the steam era freight car list, CIty of Boston Archives - 1948

https://cityofboston.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/io_37d51774-8dce-487e-ab96-ff5d376ef386/

(also available on Flickr -

Atlantic Avenue opposite State Street [TP083]

9 hours ago, mdvle said:

Same train, different direction and place

Atlantic Avenue at Commerce Street [TP084]

John Pryke’s Kalmbach Book “Building City Scenery for your Model Railroad” (2000) told the story of the street running modular section of his layout that was based on this line - great to see more prototype photos of it here.  Thank you.

• Like 5

For anyone interested in those Boston pictures, some more courtesy the steam freight car list.

It was the Union Freight Railroad, and is only ran along Atlantic Avenue and Commercial Street with a roster of 5 GE 44-ton locos and served the dock area and connected with 2 other railroads to the north and south.

And another picture - this time dismantling an elevated railway that used to run along the street

First steel to be removed from Atlantic Avenue El, Commercial Street

• Like 10

The Union Freight Railroad is also the subject of the eponymous chapter of Frank Kyper's The Railroad That Came Out at Night, which is published by Carstens. The rest of the book is also about Boston area railroading.

https://www.google.com/search?q=The+railroad+that+came+out+at+night&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiN3qCb4b3yAhWURkEAHXBKAO8Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1067&bih=475

Edited by Sarcodelic
To add Google image search link
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 4 weeks later...