GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

• RMweb Premium

i dont know but, does it share the boiler with any other class, so therefore would the backhead be the same as well, maybe try to look for info on them

Yes, the K10 shared a boiler with the C8, 700, and M7.  In effect, the K10 was a C8 with smaller driving wheels, for mixed traffic.

Incidentally George, it looks like you are using the Skinley drawing?  I reckon its inaccurate in the area of the cab and splashers.  It just didn't look right to me, when compared to the photos.

I've recently came across this page of photos:  https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/drummond-lswr-k10-4-4-0.947304/  and the last picture is a really good side-on view.  So I printed it to scale and compared it to the drawing, and the splashers as drawn are too small.

Sorry if I'm interfering, but I hope this helps, Dave.

Morning Dave, Thanks for the input really appreciated, l have noticed a few mistakes on the drawing after studying it with the photos in depth, like the smoke box seems a little short, but l have gone too far into the build for any major changes ? l was waiting to see the body of your K10 to follow, like the cab interior as mine doesn't look right to me and a few changes will happen ? l am happy with the splasher's for now. but will put the build on hold for now as further research is needed, thanks again for your help[ and will be following your build with great interest....

post-7716-0-07886100-1516002836_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-92798600-1516002938_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-76993500-1516003025_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi George,

It looks like my kit was designed entirely from the Skinley drawing, without any checking.  But back in the day, Skinley drawings were highly regarded as THE accurate source and not to be questioned!

Looking at cab interiors, there's not a lot to go on.  The L11 section in Bradley has a couple of photos showing parts of the cab, but there's a couple of better photos in the T9 section, on pages 32 and 36.

I reckon its a pretty safe bet to assume that the control layout on this set of locos is very similar.  As far as I'm aware, the main difference between the C8/K10 and the T9/L11 boilers was that the firebox, and thus the coupled wheelbase, was a foot longer.

Cheers, Dave.

Been working on the K10 today, rolled the boiler and fitted some fittings (not 100%) right but near enough for me Hahahahaha, the cab layout has changed and is temporary so l can change it if l have to for the wheels to fit, now to tackle the tender then the chassis...

post-7716-0-03118700-1516210966_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-80534400-1516211058_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-93786400-1516211197_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hello Buddy glad to hear you are on the mend and taking things easy, the build on the K10 is ongoing still sorting out some discrepancies in the drawings busy at the moment making some connecting rods out of some spare jinty rods l had left over from a previous kit the ones l have made are 63mm or nine foot long, l can work on the chassis now, hopefully get the wheels and motor at Bristol GOG....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi George,

I shall be at the Bristol GOG Show, on the Exeter Gauge-0-Group stand. 

Please come and say hi; I won't have the K10 with me, but I will have some of my 7mm Narrow Gauge stock.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

Hi George,

I shall be at the Bristol GOG Show, on the Exeter Gauge-0-Group stand. 

Please come and say hi; I won't have the K10 with me, but I will have some of my 7mm Narrow Gauge stock.

Cheers, Dave.

Sounds like a plan Dave, see you there ...

Edited by georgeT

Any purchases at Bristol matey?

Hello Andy, Yes loads of bits and pieces brass / nickle sheets, wheels, motor, and a nice chassis jig from JPL, also met and thanked Dave (DLT) for his input on my K10, l think l have all the parts to finish the loco now... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi George, great to meet you too.  I managed not to purchase very much, but was sorely tempted. 

I was very impressed by the show and the venue, it was my first visit.

All the best, Dave.

I had Bristol down in my calendar all last year and then the opportunity to buy a railway room with house attached came up, so Bristol had to be sacrificed.

I am hoping Kettering will be possible because that is my last chance for many months to buy those essential bits and bobs.  Never mind the bigger ticket items that may seduce.

I have to admit that a Finney7 Princess Coronation would be a wonderful project, particularly as City of Birmingham was very close to my heart in the end of steam years - I copped it in Crewe North while being chased by the railway police and then watched it move up and down the short track at the Museum of Science and Industry on Newhall Street.  But I can't afford to stray too far from the plan!

Paul