Hornby - Thompson O1

S.A.C Martin

Hi Pete!

Nice one Tim.........so how did you actually remove the door?

That'll teach me to forget that crucial bit won't it! I used a D/15 blade (Swann Morton #3 handle) around the mould line between door and smokebox. Once "in", I just sliced the thing off (carefully!). Final finishing is by fine files to allow the door to fit in the resultant aperture. What I did do to the inside of the door was file it so that it was a flush fit onto the smokebox ring.

It is highly desirable to retain both the lamp iron bracket and the door dart. If careful, they'll pop off once the door is off. Poke through from behind!

What about the chimney? We are not convinced by it on our bit of the East Coast!

I'm under instruction to leave that "as is" on this one, but I'd probably replace with a casting from Alan Gibson. The J39 one is close enough and I have used it before on two O4/8s. I remember Graeme King used something from either DMR or a spare Little Engines one. I forget which though....!

Cheers,

Here we go again, there I am buying one of these super locos thinking what a superb model Hornby have given us only to find (according to our Rmweb experts) I,ve bought a bum steer! Why do Hornby (and Bachmann) keep producing models that are 'wrong'? I for one thank Simon Kohler & his team for yet another great model, for me its just what I want. With a little light weathering, driver/fireman & working loco lamps it will fit in perfectly on my layout.

Can I suggest in future to avoid errors been made by the above manufacturers our Rmweb experts contact them to 'put them right' when producing new models. I look forward to the comments on the new B17 when it finally arrives.

silverlink

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here we go again, there I am buying one of these super locos thinking what a superb model Hornby have given us only to find (according to our Rmweb experts) I,ve bought a bum steer! Why do Hornby (and Bachmann) keep producing models that are 'wrong'? I for one thank Simon Kohler & his team for yet another great model, for me its just what I want. With a little light weathering, driver/fireman & working loco lamps it will fit in perfectly on my layout.

Can I suggest in future to avoid errors been made by the above manufacturers our Rmweb experts contact them to 'put them right' when producing new models. I look forward to the comments on the new B17 when it finally arrives.

silverlink

It's a long thread so you may have missed post #78 which has a photo showing the two different types of smokebox door fitted to members of this class. LNER locos are never simple (almost as bad as "my" company - Midland Railway!).

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Nobody's saying it's wrong, they're just outlining detail differences, that's all.

Incidentally; does anybody know a source of a Consett-style air pump and receiver tank in 4mm?

Dave.

Incidentally; does anybody know a source of a Consett-style air pump and receiver tank in 4mm?

Dave.

Tried Dave Alexander perhaps? Just checked the website and he does a conversion kit for a Tyne Dock 9F, so I guess the compressors are the same...

(edited to correct details)

Edited by Tim
  • Like 1

George Dent has an article in the latest Model Rail, No 177, Jan 2013, in which he fits a set of the Dave Alexander pumps and tanks to a Hornby 9F. The 9F conversion kit from Dave Alexander is priced at £7.95 according to the article.

• RMweb Premium

I made the mistake of making a posting yesterday under a new header , instead of in this topic. Apologies.

The Hornby newsletter announced the release of the O1 in LNER livery numbered 3755 ( R3088 )

I will be interested to learn whether the pony truck arrangement is similar to the L1. The query is raised as the LNER Encycolopedia site tells that the original

design used the B1 boiler & L1 pony truck . This was amended & the original 04 pony truck / tender retained.

As I have two B1 models the O1 would be a nice addition .

Perhaps a forum member who has purchased the O1 can comment on the characteristics of the pony truck in that model.

Hi DAH, I had an O1 briefly earlier this week; unfortunately it had a slight defect so I returned it to the shop, but they had only received a very limited initial supply which had all gone by then, so I'm awaiting a replacement.

The pony truck pivot arrangement did seem similar to the L1 (i.e. pivotting in curved guides around two fixed pins); it looked as though the distance between the pony axle and the pivot pins could have been longer than on the L1 though. I didn't find out whether it performed any better than the L1, as I returned it to the shop without even putting it on the layout!

I should perhaps point out that the shop had given mine a test on their straight test track before selling it to me in which it performed perfectly, and the defect was purely cosmetic but not noticed until I got it home.

Hope this helps!

Guest jim s-w

silverlink

Its very simple really. Some people are capable of comparing a model to the real thing and seeing if they match, some are not (either because they cant or choose not too). People provide comment for those who see thats its different and want to know why or what to do about it. For them its the point of the hobby and taken to its extreme there would be no enjoyment in it if RTR was perfect.

For the others, if they are happy with it why does it matter what other people think? The only thing for certain is complaining about it wont change anything. Its the same hobby but approached in completely different ways.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 3

Guest Belgian

silverlink

I've decided that I will sell all my models and buy no more as there is always something wrong with them and I do not want to be held up to ridicule for having models which aren't perfect. :angel: (I am perfect, of course).

JE

I remember Graeme King used something from either DMR or a spare Little Engines one. I forget which though....!

The DMR turned brass O1 chimney is good, if you can still get one, but don't use the B1 chimney instead, it isn't tall enough. Suitably cleaned up, the 247 Developments GN chimney sold as suitable for J6 or C1 is also good for the O1, and is certainly more likely to be available than a Little Engines spare.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

The DMR turned brass O1 chimney is good, if you can still get one, but don't use the B1 chimney instead, it isn't tall enough. Suitably cleaned up, the 247 Developments GN chimney sold as suitable for J6 or C1 is also good for the O1, and is certainly more likely to be available than a Little Engines spare.

I bought the 247 version very poorly cast. My O4/8 also uses a Gibson J39 version 100% better.

Really? The ones I bought were fine. Have you considered pointing the problem out to Gary and asking him to make (or to insisting that his caster makes) some better ones?

No I never !!, a lot simpler to buy the Gibson version for the cost and time involved ( due to the extended wait for delievery and any reply to emails from 247. Having typed this ,his service is much improved on a year ago. )

For anyones info, my 247 Chimney had a damaged top edge and the chimney orifice half full whitemetal to one side a nightmare to try and clean up. The Gibson version is finely cast and fitted well on the O4 smokebox.

cheers

I picked up a weathered E/C one today, and it is another peach from Hornby. Runs smoothly without the growl of the 8F.

My only criticism was the moulding flash on the loco brake linkage which was a tight fit, and much of the weathering applied to match the model fell off.

Easy DCC fit, and a smooth runner with Bachmann 553 defaults.

N

• RMweb Premium

HMM a lovely proportioned loco, I will get one anyway but I would be interested to know how far South and West these locos may have strayed or was their sphere of duty all up North and West. My layout is based on a line near Banbury and Banbury had B1s, L1s and other assorted ER locos visit, I was wondering if the O1 wandered down this way?

• RMweb Gold

HMM a lovely proportioned loco, I will get one anyway but I would be interested to know how far South and West these locos may have strayed or was their sphere of duty all up North and West. My layout is based on a line near Banbury and Banbury had B1s, L1s and other assorted ER locos visit, I was wondering if the O1 wandered down this way?

Allocations here - maybe something will give you an excuse?

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=601501&type=S&page=alloc

Lovely!  Go on, give it one of the vast 'seagull droppings' that many heavy freight locos boasted after a major priming incident.

Thanks Paul! Sadly, there are something in the region of 100 miles between it and me now. I might do some of that on one or two of my own 2-8-0s though ;)

Cheers!

• RMweb Premium

I believe the O1 went through Woodford Hulse which is only a few miles East of the area I model so one will inevitably wander on to my layout and hand its train over to a Western freight loco before turning and returning with empties.

Just a technical point, Model Rail state that the motor is a 3 pole with a flywheel, others have stated it is the 5 pole motor. I am not aware of Hornby fitting their 5 pole motors with flywheels, can anyone clarify this query? On a practical level it really does not matter as the loco is a veritable Sampson in the pulling stakes.

I believe the O1 went through Woodford Hulse which is only a few miles East of the area I model so one will inevitably wander on to my layout and hand its train over to a Western freight loco before turning and returning with empties.

Just a technical point, Model Rail state that the motor is a 3 pole with a flywheel, others have stated it is the 5 pole motor. I am not aware of Hornby fitting their 5 pole motors with flywheels, can anyone clarify this query? On a practical level it really does not matter as the loco is a veritable Sampson in the pulling stakes.

I know it has a large-ish flywheel, I'm not sure on the winding spec of the motor but I can assure you that the slow speed running is absolutely fantastic.

Just received my weathered version and have put it into a familiar scene.... East Anglia in 1958-ish perhaps, but with late crest and rather clean ? ... having been at March 31B in 1959 and Staveley 41H in 1963 I'm not sure

Thompson workhorse rolling past in lovely country.... somewhere in England.   A beautiful model.

post-7929-0-62281100-1356763164.jpg

Rob

• Like 7