Hornby 42xx& 72xx - first glimpses

Andy Y

Just a heads up on this excellent site for photos especially as I stumbled across one of 7250 on Dainton in 1947.Worth a look and search.

http://www.colourrai.../Category1.aspx

On the first page of the 72xx theres a photo of 7204 at whats said is Paignton in 1960.Can anyone verify this location from the photo please.

Its taken from near the Paignton Goods Shed (between Paignton and Goodrington passenger stations), located between Whitstone Road and Tanners Road. Picture was taken from the South-West corner of the yard (south end of the Goods Shed), with the Roundham part of Paignton located on the hill in the background.

Using Streetview in either Google Earth or Google maps you can see almost the same view now, search for Great Western Close in Paignton.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hornby website now has pictures of the models (instead of b&w photos from the archives). Hooray!

R3127 "GREAT WESTERN" No. 7202

R3125 "GREAT WESTERN" No. 5274

R3123 "roundel" No. 4283

There is an image magnifier for those who want to look at details. One assumes this is pretty close to the production versions.

Sorry, I haven't linked to the BR(WR) variants, but they all have pictures too!

• RMweb Gold

Very nice too and I assume the front steps are in the pack for fitting if you have generous curves.These will be needing to be on the boat from China soon to get here in time for xmas.

Will anyone else be changing the Great Western to G W R on the sides I wonder.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice too and I assume the front steps are in the pack for fitting if you have generous curves.These will be needing to be on the boat from China soon to get here in time for xmas.

Can't say I'd consider changing anything other than, perhaps, renumbering and adding some weathering but, as lovely as they look, are they appropriate for my shed layout based on SHL Southall? I haven't, thus far, found any evidence for them even visiting this location.

Though, I'm thinking that as my shed is representative of GWR West London Division there will be enough reason to include one or other or more of these superb looking locos in my fleet.

:offtopic: Any help on this matter can be posted on my Great West Road thread if you deem it inappropriate for this one. Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

72XX definitely worked into (and in) the London Division at various times over the years although the 2-8-0Ts were not so frequently seen as visitors.

BTW talking to a retailer yesterday (and ordering a 42XX from him) I was told that Hornby have sold out of the first production run of all varieties of the eight coupled tanks. Doesn't necessarily mean they will be difficult to get from retailers just that once the retailers have sold them there won't be any more until the next production run - whenever that might be.

• RMweb Gold

BTW talking to a retailer yesterday (and ordering a 42XX from him) I was told that Hornby have sold out of the first production run of all varieties of the eight coupled tanks. Doesn't necessarily mean they will be difficult to get from retailers just that once the retailers have sold them there won't be any more until the next production run - whenever that might be.

I wonder how many of each variant they made.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how many of each variant they made.

I haven't got a clue Rob but if they study their past sales records I would expect more in black than green - and if they haven't done it that way we might see some reduced prices on green ones come next year. Not a dig at anybody but the impresssion I get is that BR era seems to be more popular with modellers overall. But at least the fact that they're a sell out to retailers might mean a re-run next year but probably it would be without any changes except running numbers although teh green livery details could of course change.

• RMweb Gold

Retailers clearly expect a huge release of pent-up demand for the things. I'll just be waiting to see when the first wrecked one turns up on a certain auction site!

Well the demand is there according to various polls over the years but, as usual, it will be interesting to see how that translates into cash through the tills. I think in one past poll I said I would buy four of the 2-8-0T variety which would at least allow a spot of variety and make a shed scene look reasonable for some South Wales sheds. But overall it would be hard to place odds on which will be the most popular seller - the 2-8-2T will no doubt mesmerise more than a few folk.

Advance order through retailers means Hornby knows how many it will sell. A canny manufacturer would have already put a second batch into production in whatever colour is selling best in order to net the Xmas shoal...

It is frightening to consider just what wil be hitting the shelves in a few weeks time. It seemed we had all the time in the world but........

• RMweb Gold

Advance order through retailers means Hornby knows how many it will sell. A canny manufacturer would have already put a second batch into production in whatever colour is selling best in order to net the Xmas shoal...

It is frightening to consider just what wil be hitting the shelves in a few weeks time. It seemed we had all the time in the world but........

I suppose the saving grace for us (i.e. modellers) but not necessarily for manufacturers and retailers is that most of us are unlikely to be buying all of it. That said however there is quite a lot of WR motive power about to hit the retailers' shelves/appear on various sales stands at the Warley show let alone the Bachmann Pullman set selling at roughly the price of three - four locos.

I spy a modelling opportunity here. Looking at the latest pictures and at the parts charts on the Hornby website, the injector overflows, which pass under the coupling rod to the cab steps and are a feature of these classes does not appear to be part of the model.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm still learning about the GWR, but isn't the Hornby model of the 72xx in "Great Western" green suitable for a rather limited time period? According to the Great Western Archive site, the first 72xx was built in 1934 but also the shirtbutton roundel was introduced in that year. Having said this though, as the only modification was a rear frame and bunker extension perhaps they weren't repainted?

• RMweb Gold

If I find a good deal on one, I certainly will be....

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm still learning about the GWR, but isn't the Hornby model of the 72xx in "Great Western" green suitable for a rather limited time period? According to the Great Western Archive site, the first 72xx was built in 1934 but also the shirtbutton roundel was introduced in that year. Having said this though, as the only modification was a rear frame and bunker extension perhaps they weren't repainted?

We've discussed this before, either earlier in this thread or in a parallel one about the history of these classes. IIRC, the conclusion was that many of the stored 5205s would have been in unused condition in the earlier livery and that, in many cases, a limited repaint may have been all that was necessary. Russell has an official photo of 7200 posed outside the works (presumably in August 1934) with GREAT WESTERN on the tanks. Otherwise, though, there are perhaps more photos of them with the shirtbutton. As always, you really need dated photos to be sure about individual cases.

Nick

According to the Great Western Archive site, the first 72xx was built in 1934 but also the shirtbutton roundel was introduced in that year.

Official photo here with GREAT WESTERN.

http://www.7200trust.org.uk/photos.aspx?cat=misc

Site also has a full gallery of 7200 through the years. Of interest is how 7200 had its bunker area changed to match a later build at some point. Note line of rivets on bunker changes to straight line, showing reduced coal capacity/increased water capacity as per last batch.

Mike Wiltshire

I think the first application of the roundel was c June 1934. Given the August 1934 official portrait of 7200 with 'Great Western', and 7202 reported as being outshopped with the same, it isn't clear how or when the roundel spread to the class, so the 'limited repaint' notion would seem to have credence, but whether that still held true for the last (1937-39) 7240–53 batch isn't known. (But no doubt this has all been mulled over in Mike's 'prototype' thread.)

• RMweb Gold

Official photo here with GREAT WESTERN.

http://www.7200trust...s.aspx?cat=misc

Site also has a full gallery of 7200 through the years. Of interest is how 7200 had its bunker area changed to match a later build at some point. Note line of rivets on bunker changes to straight line, showing reduced coal capacity/increased water capacity as per last batch.

Mike Wiltshire

Having done a lot of photo delving previously I found several of the first batch had acquired the later rivet pattern at sometime in, roughly, the mid-late 1950s. While it is largely surmise my conclusion was that it was either a result of corrosion and/or collision damage to that end of the loco and this had led to the bunker area being at least in part reconstructed or replaced and that would have used the most up to date drawings.

It is - I again emphasise - mainly surmise on my part but it was not atypical of Swindon practice and is the best conclusion I can come up with.

• RMweb Gold

Well if Hornby have sold out already I'd better get a pre-order in with a model shop sharpish.

I'd like to model St Blazey's 4273 as she was in summer 1960.

R3124 4266 would seem to match pretty closely (stepped straight frame, inside steam pipes).

But I've only seen b&w front 3/4 views and I can't tell which crest she had.

So does anyone know if she had gained the later crest by the time she was transferred to Cornwall in June 1960?

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving aside any structural differences, it would not have been sensible to switch bunkers between the 3 groups of 72xx locomotives. For rostering locomotives to duties the water capacity would be a factor and to have differing capacities randomly scattered throughout the whole class would have made identification of the higher water capacity locomotives more difficult. The third group, those rebuilt from the 4201 class, had a higher water capacity than those rebuilt from the 5205 class.

For rostering locomotives to duties the water capacity would be a factor and to have differing capacities randomly scattered throughout the whole class would have made identification of the higher water capacity locomotives more difficult.

Though some earlier engines were rebuilt with the higher capacity tanks/reduced coal capacity. Check out the preserved pioneer 7200 with later bunker arrangements.

Mike wiltshire

Archived