Tillton Station - Modern Era N Gauge

THIS LAYOUT NO LONGER EXISTS DUE TO SPACE RESTRICTIONS IN NEW HOUSE, A NEW BOARD HAS BEEN USED AND I HAVE CREATED A NEW THREAD FOR THE LAYOUT PLAN. PLEASE SEE HERE: http://www.rmweb.co....rack-plan-help/

Hello everybody. I am very new to railway modelling and RMweb. I am about to start building (well mainly planning) my new N gauge modern image layout which will be about 155cm x 85cm.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

I hope this post will be the first of many to come! I will post updates at a later date (I am busy doing exam revision at the moment)

Thanks very much, MNG! :locomotive:

Welcome,

do you have a track plan yet or are you still working on that?

Good luck with the exams

Thanks very much (about the exams)

And yes I do have a rough idea of what I would like......

- Two ovals so I can continuously run two trains.

- Some sort of sidings at front for diesel locos (think this is called a MPD or something like that... :scratchhead: )

- Fiddle yard round the back so can store some trains.

- Station somewhere (probably with a town scene above it)

Might knock something up on AnyRail in a later....

Hey guys. Just had a spare few minutes so I quickly made this on Anyrail.

Because I only have demo version I could only do 50 pieces per go so have had to spilt it into front and fiddle yard...

Any comments or advice/tips most welcome! Thanks!

FRONT:

post-15085-0-26027000-1335644353_thumb.png

FIDDLE YARD (SMALL BUT CHEAP!)

post-15085-0-66261400-1335644364_thumb.png

looking good,

one way round anyrail's part limit is for all straights use flex-track and stretch it to the length requires, yes it'll show red because you've stretched it too far but that doesn't matter.

if using set-track then make it using the pieces you want, then delete them dropping a length of flexi in there instead, across the front of your layout this would replace 5 pieces with one, doing this where possible would allow for more layout building before hitting the limit.

• RMweb Gold

Hello MNG

That's a nice looking plan, with plenty of operating potential. However, though I'm no expert on track, I would be tempted to "flip" the MPD (ie so it sits at the right hand end of the scenic section) so it is accessed from a trailing crossover.

Also, and certainly on the scenic section, I would replace the short radius points with medium or long radius - they look a lot better.

cheers

Ben A.

looking good,

one way round anyrail's part limit is for all straights use flex-track and stretch it to the length requires, yes it'll show red because you've stretched it too far but that doesn't matter.

if using set-track then make it using the pieces you want, then delete them dropping a length of flexi in there instead, across the front of your layout this would replace 5 pieces with one, doing this where possible would allow for more layout building before hitting the limit.

Oh thanks very much, will do that know! :danced:

Hello MNG

That's a nice looking plan, with plenty of operating potential. However, though I'm no expert on track, I would be tempted to "flip" the MPD (ie so it sits at the right hand end of the scenic section) so it is accessed from a trailing crossover.

Also, and certainly on the scenic section, I would replace the short radius points with medium or long radius - they look a lot better.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks very much for your feedback. Not quite sure what you mean by "accessed from a trailing crossover" could you please explain more. (sorry I'm a newbie!)

And coming from the right hand side wouldn't be possible as that is where the station is going to be... might draw up another plan showing that now....

Hello MNG

cheers

Ben A.

Did you mean something like this.....?:

post-15085-0-18514200-1335650157_thumb.png

looking good MNG, I would make a couple of changes, loose the crossing out of the depot to a right hand point which would just connect to the inner circuit, and then put the crossover to the right of it so trains on both tracks can access depot, other than that an excellent plan. good luck.

Graham.

looking good MNG, I would make a couple of changes, loose the crossing out of the depot to a right hand point which would just connect to the inner circuit, and then put the crossover to the right of it so trains on both tracks can access depot, other than that an excellent plan. good luck.

Graham.

Thanks for the feedback....

Did you mean something like this?:

post-15085-0-93783000-1335652555.png

(Must be getting to bed now!) :-)

• RMweb Gold

That's looking better now!

It's not a universal rule, but generally access to sidings is via points that require the train to reverse into them. These are known as "trailing" points.

Points that can be accessed by a train approaching (ie facing direction of travel) are known as facing points.

cheers

Ben A.

That's looking better now!

It's not a universal rule, but generally access to sidings is via points that require the train to reverse into them. These are known as "trailing" points.

Points that can be accessed by a train approaching (ie facing direction of travel) are known as facing points.

cheers

Ben A.

Oh thanks very much didn't know that. You learn something new everyday!

Hello everyone! Have been a bit busy this morning drawing up new plans in Anyrail.

Took into account what people said about medium and large radius points instead of setrack points on the scenic section.

I have come up with 4 different ideas, please leave your feedback and any tips/advice would be most welcome, thanks....

FRONT, V.1

post-15085-0-80203100-1335696242_thumb.png

FRONT, V.2

post-15085-0-15572900-1335696248_thumb.png

FRONT, V.3

post-15085-0-91788900-1335696252_thumb.png

FRONT, V.4

post-15085-0-77730300-1335696257_thumb.png

Need some help please....! :help:

As recommend - I am hoping to go with medium or large radius points instead of setrack points (on the front of my layout) as they look more realistic, only thing is I don't know how to get the spacing (gap) between points right.

Because the rest of layout is setrack there is a set width apart:

post-15085-0-34156700-1335710120.png

But when using medium radius points the width gets narrower so I need to put some track in-between the points to space it out. But no piece of setrack is small enough so will have to use flexitrack but when I do it looks all wrong, bent and twisted (basically - not realistic):

post-15085-0-68458600-1335710224_thumb.png

Please help the newbie! :scratchhead:

post-6774-0-90706500-1335711151_thumb.png

Without wishing to stick another spanner in the works MNG how about something like this? Gives you an extra loop to store a train plus a three road station?

Graham.

Credit to shanks522 for this one....

post-15085-0-20989400-1335724185_thumb.png

Have had to make the board slightly wider which is a downside, but shouldn't matter too much.

Everything seems good now apart from not sure how this will work with fiddle yard, will do this later as need to do more revision now! See you soon....

Glad you made it fit MNG, looking very nice indeed, should have plenty of operational potential.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, much appreciated for that plan. I have managed to make it work with the fiddle yard, but just like the front I have a few different options. I will post some pics and info in a minute.

See what you think and tell me which one you think works best....

Here we go....

Option 1:

post-15085-0-41684800-1335729412_thumb.png

Option 2:

post-15085-0-95190400-1335729416_thumb.png

Option 3:

post-15085-0-19459900-1335729420_thumb.png

Which do you think would be best? I am a newbie so I haven't a clue! :scratchhead:

Archived