Tillton Station - Modern Era N Gauge

• RMweb Gold

Hello MNG,

Your plan looks much better with the more "curved" look.

The advice on here about using longer radius points is good - and as has been said, on anyrail you can set a minimum radius. I am not sure what the default minimum is, but it may be that you are getting the red "too tight" warning lines because the minimum it's set too is greater than setrack 2nd radius.

I also think that having a "practice run" on a small plank to try out track laying and fixing, and ballasting and everything else is an excellent idea and will give you confidence. Also, it's worth bearing in mind that for many people the first layout is not the last, and lessons you learn on this project will stand you in good stead later!

cheers

Ben A.

One tip for working with set-track radius curves using flexi-track. Get them down first and don't panic if they're a slightly larger radius than the plan. Having them nice and smooth is better than to plan but a bit iffy. Oh, start with the inside track as well. You can make up for it elsewhere by slightly curving what was supposed to be the straight track.

The important thing to remember is which parts of your plan are sensitive to position. The rest can then be fit around those. As an example, the length of the headshunt is likely to be critical if you're working to a tighter space so cutting that and placing it before working out where the point leading to it from the mainline would be a good idea.

Hello MNG,

Your plan looks much better with the more "curved" look.

The advice on here about using longer radius points is good - and as has been said, on anyrail you can set a minimum radius. I am not sure what the default minimum is, but it may be that you are getting the red "too tight" warning lines because the minimum it's set too is greater than setrack 2nd radius.

I also think that having a "practice run" on a small plank to try out track laying and fixing, and ballasting and everything else is an excellent idea and will give you confidence. Also, it's worth bearing in mind that for many people the first layout is not the last, and lessons you learn on this project will stand you in good stead later!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks very much for the kind comments.

The minimum radius set at the minute is 32 on Anyrail, this must be the default as I have not changed it.

Yes I am definitely going to have a "practice plank" - quite a catchy name that lol! I will use one of the offcuts from my baseboard.

Thanks again, MNG

One tip for working with set-track radius curves using flexi-track. Get them down first and don't panic if they're a slightly larger radius than the plan. Having them nice and smooth is better than to plan but a bit iffy. Oh, start with the inside track as well. You can make up for it elsewhere by slightly curving what was supposed to be the straight track.

The important thing to remember is which parts of your plan are sensitive to position. The rest can then be fit around those. As an example, the length of the headshunt is likely to be critical if you're working to a tighter space so cutting that and placing it before working out where the point leading to it from the mainline would be a good idea.

Thanks the_jon for your advice, will come in really handy.

Yes will start with the bits that need to be right, I was thinking of printing off my final design 1:1 scale on A3 paper, have seen a few people do this. Including Milton Grove TMD (first one that springs to mind...)

MNG

I have used the practice plank to practice with flex track, static grass and ballasting; a real help. I also printed out 1:1 sheets of my layout plan and messed around with it before any track was laid down.

Stephen

Thanks very much Stephen. Definitely boosted my confidence in making one.

How did you find it having the 1:1 sheets? Any good...?

Did you glue the track onto the paper and then cut the surrounding areas off...?

Thanks - MNG

Sorry got a bit confused about the gaps between points!

The files you need are something like these

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0001K9TK6

Cheap ish needle files, save the more expensive Swiss files for scratch building etc.

Aha lol, thanks for the link they look very good. Will have to get some...

Thanks again, MNG

Hello everyone, have been working on some new plans - no surprise there lol! (I do find planning quite fun though!)

Anyway... been reading some magazines and watching some videos and found 2 amazing layouts: "Dudley Heath" and "Loftus Road".

Loftus Road:

post-15085-0-58747000-1338827767_thumb.png

post-15085-0-24497900-1338827772.png - Track Plan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mslT1hQXgvA

Dudley Heath:

post-15085-0-67728600-1338828091.png

post-15085-0-81214300-1338828101.png

post-15085-0-14112200-1338828112.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85KgeyyuIc - Video

I found both of these amazing and very insipirational so I have worked up a new plan.....

post-15085-0-12026700-1339967508_thumb.png

Will be NO WAY near as good as Loftus Road and Dudley Heath but similar track plan. :D

Thanks, MNG

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of maybe adding a small TMD at the front...?

post-15085-0-20095000-1339968106_thumb.png

Oh and leaning towards setrack points again, just really want to get this layout built and really tight for money so maybe on the next layout I will go for flexitrack and streamline points.... to be honest I don't think they look that bad. They are what I have at the minute and if I wanted to go with setrack it would mean have to buy extra things to help lay it rather than just sticking with setrack.

MNG

Like the new plan, please don't wreck it with set track points. Money is always tight, but if you want a properly reliable, fun railway then use better points and longer lengths of track, as advised by almost everyone on here. The plan above could be as good as both the layouts you mention, but only if you push yourself a bit. Just because it's your first "proper" layout doesn't mean it can't be high quality, just look at " Torrington" by Darren01 to see what can be done, even on a first layout.

If you start by laying the outer loops first, working your way in as funds permit then you could run trains very quickly and have a chance to do some scenic bits. If you must use up the trainset bits, why not use them on the test plank you were thinking about? Or just use in the fiddle yard. Either that or sell them to fund expansion.

Like the new plan, please don't wreck it with set track points. Money is always tight, but if you want a properly reliable, fun railway then use better points and longer lengths of track, as advised by almost everyone on here. The plan above could be as good as both the layouts you mention, but only if you push yourself a bit. Just because it's your first "proper" layout doesn't mean it can't be high quality, just look at " Torrington" by Darren01 to see what can be done, even on a first layout.

If you start by laying the outer loops first, working your way in as funds permit then you could run trains very quickly and have a chance to do some scenic bits. If you must use up the trainset bits, why not use them on the test plank you were thinking about? Or just use in the fiddle yard. Either that or sell them to fund expansion.

Thanks for the kind comment devondynosoar.

Hmmmmm, do you really think they will "ruin" the layout?? I have them out on my baseboard at the minute and I think they look ok, do they cause any actual running problems that streamline points don't or is it just their looks?

I checked out Torrington - very, very good...

Good tip about starting on the outside and then working in when the extra money comes, might do that.

Think I will use the setrack points for the fiddle yard area.

If I did want to go for streamline points and flexitrack what extra tools would I need, so far I've got:

1) Xuron track cutters

2) Small needle file

3) Extra rail joiners

4) Extra sleepers - are these even needed if the flexitrack will just be straight???

Thanks, MNG

Hi Oli,

First off setrack point wont ruin the layout, they will just look more trainset than model railway, they may affect some rolling stock as they are 9' radius curves and some stock may not like the sharpness, especially at speed.

As for tools you have the most important ones, track cutters and files will be your most useful.

Graham.

I didn't intend it to be interpreted as a strong critism of set track per se, I just think that you have put so much effort into planning and designing your layout that it wouldn't do it justice to the effort to use trainset points! I totally see where you are coming from with using what you have and not ending up with an expensive un finished mess, but with the excellent help available here I managed it and am sure you can too.

Hi Oli,

First off setrack point wont ruin the layout, they will just look more trainset than model railway, they may affect some rolling stock as they are 9' radius curves and some stock may not like the sharpness, especially at speed.

As for tools you have the most important ones, track cutters and files will be your most useful.

Graham.

I didn't intend it to be interpreted as a strong critism of set track per se, I just think that you have put so much effort into planning and designing your layout that it wouldn't do it justice to the effort to use trainset points! I totally see where you are coming from with using what you have and not ending up with an expensive un finished mess, but with the excellent help available here I managed it and am sure you can too.

Thanks for the reply guys, think I will be going for streamline points on the front - but using setrack round the back in the fiddle for easiness. It would be a shame if after all this it didn't really look good just because of some points lol.

In the front station area would it be best to use medium radius or large radius...? I know sometimes this can depend on the location of the railway being modelled - mine is totally fictional though so what would I be best using, large or medium?

And would I need extra sleepers or is this just when using flexitrack for curves....?

Thanks guys, MNG

EDIT= Just tried to change my track plan to accommodate the streamline points and they won't fit, well they will without the TMD (can see this at bottom of post #107)

So any ideas anyone.....? Only thing I got so far means I have to have 4 controllers, so buying the Morely VORTRAK. Or I could use setrack points just for the inner sidings....? (LIKE THIS:)

post-15085-0-63770300-1340130298_thumb.png

Looking good there Oli, I think you've got a good balance now by using your setrack points in the fiddle yard, for the scenic side my advice would be to use the largest point you can. You will be able to use medium ones for the TMD you'l just have to shorten the platform slightly. I wouldn't worry to much about the extra sleepers, you'l find when using flexitrack that you cut more off than you add to them.

Cheers

Graham.

the idea of using streamline points on the viewing side and setrack in the fiddle yard is what i do, setrack is smaller allowing more sidings so more trains and if something was to derail no one would see it except for the operator

By the time you have bought hand helds as well you could have bought a DCC controller and saved on switches and isolating sections on the control panel...

Aha lol, sorry Devondynosoar, sticking with DC for my first layout, thinking of getting the Morley Vesta (£70) and includes two hand helds.

Looking good there Oli, I think you've got a good balance now by using your setrack points in the fiddle yard, for the scenic side my advice would be to use the largest point you can. You will be able to use medium ones for the TMD you'l just have to shorten the platform slightly. I wouldn't worry to much about the extra sleepers, you'l find when using flexitrack that you cut more off than you add to them.

Cheers

Graham.

Thanks Graham, good to know about the extra sleepers, saves me having to buy some lol. Did notice though when looking in the Peco Catalogue they only do sleepers for the finescale code 55 track, and I will be using code 80 as this is what setrack is. Are the sleepers the same for code 55 and code 80 - to be honest I don't really understand the difference, isn't it something to do with the rail height....? :scratchhead:

Yeah going to use setrack points for the fiddle, but because my layout is quite short at 5ft 1" I can't have the usual type of fiddle yard that most layout have, like yours for instance, or like the one on Milton Grove TMD......

DSCF0903.jpg

So I have to just have sidings not the run around loop type thing if you see what I mean.....

And regarding the points and platform round the front I can use medium radius points but the platform would be much sorter and I would have to use a "too tight curve" to reach the TMD area at the bottom if you understand what I am saying?

Thanks very much for your help once again, Oli

• RMweb Gold

Hello MNG (do you have a name??)

I agree with you that the Milton Road layout is very nicely designed. But I suggest that one reason it looks so good is that it creates a spacious look by not trying to squeeze in a TMD and a station....

It's always tricky balancing operational interest and incoprorating the elements you want against making it look realistically spacious in the area available.

cheers

Ben A.

Hello MNG (do you have a name??)

I agree with you that the Milton Road layout is very nicely designed. But I suggest that one reason it looks so good is that it creates a spacious look by not trying to squeeze in a TMD and a station....

It's always tricky balancing operational interest and incoprorating the elements you want against making it look realistically spacious in the area available.

cheers

Ben A.

Hello Ben, (if you mean my name, then it's Oli - been mentioned at the end of posts a few times....) (if you mean a layout name, then no idea sorry.)

Yes see what you mean, Milton Grove does have a spacious feel to it.....

Will have to see about the TMD. Maybe a practice plank could be a mini TMD?

Oli

Hi Oli,

Milton Grove's fiddle yard is an excellent example of what to aim for, Anther layout to look out for that may interest you is Welham Green TMD, I believe Dapol Dave of this forum owns it, Might give you a few ideas.

The difference between code 80 and 55 is that Code 55 is a finer scale and the rail sits deeper into the sleeper to give a better appearance, Only reason you can buy code 55 sleepers is because they are machined with a recess to accommodate the Rail.

Graham.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Oli

If a station and a TMD are two key feaures you want, then it's a great idea to make your practice "plank" a mini TMD layout. For prototype inspiration I'd have a look at Peterborough - a single road shed with a couple of fuel tanks and ancillary buildings.

Also, when I got back into this hobby as an adult, I found that my scenic techniques did improve drastically with practice, so I think the idea of producing a "test module" is an excellent one.

Good luck with your project and please keep the posts coming!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi oli,

I opted to use the short code 55 turn outs on my scenic section, as they are shorter than code 80's

Glad you like my fiddle yard layout :good:

Keep the update coming fella

Hi Oli,

Milton Grove's fiddle yard is an excellent example of what to aim for, Anther layout to look out for that may interest you is Welham Green TMD, I believe Dapol Dave of this forum owns it, Might give you a few ideas.

The difference between code 80 and 55 is that Code 55 is a finer scale and the rail sits deeper into the sleeper to give a better appearance, Only reason you can buy code 55 sleepers is because they are machined with a recess to accommodate the Rail.

Graham.

Yes it is very good, just can't fit it in unfortunately. Well I could, but the through sidings would be extremely short, I am going to have to have 3 or 4 big dead end sidings.

Will check out Welham Green TMD now, the name rings a bell for some reason... (EDIT: Checked it out, had seen it before, mainly on YouTube. Unfortunately can't find a thread for it, saw a mini blog or something mentioning that is was on the old RMweb...)

Ah so that's the difference between them, thanks very much for that.

Oli

Hi Oli, You will be ok with the Vesta. I have one and have found it very good. Layouts coming on nicely, no rush, take yoour time and enjoy the build, thats the best part.....Peter

Thanks Peter, think I will be looking to get one of them soon. How did you find the centre off dial? Some people say there is no real "off" feel to it.

Oli

Hi Oli

If a station and a TMD are two key feaures you want, then it's a great idea to make your practice "plank" a mini TMD layout. For prototype inspiration I'd have a look at Peterborough - a single road shed with a couple of fuel tanks and ancillary buildings.

Also, when I got back into this hobby as an adult, I found that my scenic techniques did improve drastically with practice, so I think the idea of producing a "test module" is an excellent one.

Good luck with your project and please keep the posts coming!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben, will probably make one of those. Will try to keep the posts coming - unfortunately not much to update on at the minute due to house move - mainly me asking lots of questions lol!

Oli

Hi oli,

I opted to use the short code 55 turn outs on my scenic section, as they are shorter than code 80's

Glad you like my fiddle yard layout :good:

Keep the update coming fella

Oh really, that's interesting, will have a quick look at them in the Peco Catalogue now.

Your layout is superb, one of the layouts that made me want to do railway modelling! Any more updates on it by the way?

Random fact here: the very first layout that made me want to have my own layout was Brenton, a modern image OO gauge layout featured in the March 2012 edition of the Railway Modeller - great layout!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyone coming to the big annual Northampton and Corby District model railway exhibition on the 21st of July out of interest? Really looking forward to it, being opened by Chris Leigh from Model Rail I think. Will you be there Ben? I know you are part of this group, or am I thinking of someone else lol....? Uh....... :scratchhead:

Thanks guys, Oli :sungum:

Archived