Wigan Model Railway Exhibition 2012, 16th and 17th June 2012

beast66606

Leighton Buzzard by Tony Gee & Ken Hill? We may be exhibiting the layout but I can't help but think that it might attract more visitors if it was publicised as being by the Rev. Peter Denny and part of Buckingham.

Everything on display is pure "Denny" including one of our operators (Crispin Denny). We will also have Nick Freezer with us, who has known Buckingham since he was taken to see it by his dad, when he was a small child.

Perhaps I will be fielding the same sort of questions as I had at another show last year. "Did you base your layout on one of Peter Denny's?" "Why didn't they publicise that this was going to be here, loads of my mates would have come to see it?".

Not my problem really but such a shame that a potential marketing opportunity is lost.

Maybe Buckingham and Peter Denny are very much of another age and not the single most influential layout and modeller that our hobby has ever had, as I always thought they were.

You are right, we have missed an opportunity, but all is not lost, we have raised the issue on this thread and our website will be updated with a 'Leighton Buzzard' news topic and we hope to have a Rev. Denny / Leighton Buzzard feature in the local paper.

In our defence, our whole marketing strategy this year has been to get the message across that we are now a SUMMER SHOW and that perhaps we have been guilty of a bit of blinkered thinking. Also we have had the whole preparation for this show condensed into half the time that we have previously had to plan all the various aspects of the exhibition and we are now at the stage of 'to many jobs and not enough hands'.

You are right, we have missed an opportunity, but all is not lost, we have raised the issue on this thread and our website will be updated with a 'Leighton Buzzard' news topic and we hope to have a Rev. Denny / Leighton Buzzard feature in the local paper.

In our defence, our whole marketing strategy this year has been to get the message across that we are now a SUMMER SHOW and that perhaps we have been guilty of a bit of blinkered thinking. Also we have had the whole preparation for this show condensed into half the time that we have previously had to plan all the various aspects of the exhibition and we are now at the stage of 'to many jobs and not enough hands'.

Hope you've said 'Alloa' will not be stuck in the snow this year..... We broke it down on Wednesday ready for the van. :declare:

Dave Franks.

Hope you've said 'Alloa' will not be stuck in the snow this year..... We broke it down on Wednesday ready for the van. :declare:

Dave Franks.

That is another topic for our Website, however I must warn you that although you may have taken off the snow plough you may need to fit floats and get out the life jackets as it hasn't stopped raining for a week here in Wigan.

That is another topic for our Website, however I must warn you that although you may have taken off the snow plough you may need to fit floats and get out the life jackets as it hasn't stopped raining for a week here in Wigan.

Not so much "out of the frying pan, into the fire" as "out of the refrigerator, into the bath tub" then... ;)

Not so much "out of the frying pan, into the fire" as "out of the refrigerator, into the bath tub" then... ;)

However don't forget that in June the light nights and long evenings will enable you to get a better view of the rain.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, it is much appreciated. I just hope that Leighton Buzzard brings a few more people in for you, as it seems to have done at a couple of other shows we have done.

Just a quick reminder!!!!

Advance Tickets to the Wigan Show have been extended for Sale until 10pm on the 9th JUNE.......

in-case any last minute tickets are needed...... as there have been a lot of you out there, who have waited until today.....

so thought i'd let you have an extra 24 hours.... :thankyou:

don't forget with your advance ticket you also gain entry to the show 15 mins before the queues.....

Well.....off to sort out the last of the paperwork for the show, then a well deserved glass of wine!!!!. :yahoo_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Excellent, yes the 4005s, that's save some postage :) I need another tenner's worth for more Farish OO coaches to improve for someone

I suppose I shouldn't be asking for tension lock couplings at a finescale event :lol:

it's these I need in case someone is carrying them

Last year I seem to remember there was some discussion concerning the balance of the show. I think we made the point that this was largely a matter of the availability of layouts and their willingness to travel to Wigan.

However, looking a the details of the layouts attending this year I can pass on the following information. As regards scale, we have 6 N Gauge layouts, 11 at OO, 4 at EM, 3 at P4, 5 at O Gauge, 3 at OO9 and 4 others.

Time era wise, we have 3 layouts set between 1900 -1920, 3 1920 -1940, 13 1940 - 1960, 6 1960 - 1980 and 4 1980 to present.

Size wise, there are 4 layouts under 10', 15 between 10' & 20', 10 between 20' & 30' and 8 over 30'.

On 18 layouts you will see steam traction and on 12 layouts you will see diesels operate. The largest represented company is B.R. with 9 layouts.

Is this fairly representative of what is out there? Comments welcome.

What, no Peruvian broad gauge horse drawn tramway in 8.2mm:ft scale?? - no self respecting show should be without one :scratchhead: ;)

Seriously though, there does look to be a good mix. Looking forward to the weekend.

Paul

What, no Peruvian broad gauge horse drawn tramway in 8.2mm:ft scale?? - no self respecting show should be without one :scratchhead: ;)

Seriously though, there does look to be a good mix. Looking forward to the weekend.

Paul

Your not going to believe this, but you are the second person to mention the lack of 'Peruvian broad gauge tramway layouts', although to be fair the other person was looking for a finescale version in 8.83mm. Just goes to show you can never please everyone!!

• RMweb Gold

Summat Colliery rewired last night with two updated DC06 MERG block cut-out units, probably the first layout to use this new design "in anger"

Anyone interested in this unit please ask at the show. It's not been fully tested but looks promising and is faultless so far with the Powercab.

Smoke unit for the chimney to replace tonight, must get some baby oil for it too!

Now, about those wheels that need cleaning ........

If you are visiting us this weekend, and we very much hope you are, then you need to follow the Brown Signs to ROBIN PARK. Once in the vacinity of Robin Park you should be able to pick up our 'MODEL RAILWAY SHOW' signs. If you are Sat navigating the post code is WN5 0UH.

When in the show you need to make a bee line for the Wiganfrm Sales Stand as I have been informed that there is some good quality bargins to be had, at lot of it still in its original boxes.

If you are visiting us this weekend, and we very much hope you are, then you need to follow the Brown Signs to ROBIN PARK. Once in the vacinity of Robin Park you should be able to pick up our 'MODEL RAILWAY SHOW' signs. If you are Sat navigating the post code is WN5 0UH.

When in the show you need to make a bee line for the Wiganfrm Sales Stand as I have been informed that there is some good quality bargins to be had, at lot of it still in its original boxes.

For those letting the 'train take the strain' (like me): It`s really not an unpleasantly far-walk from Wigan North Western station (but in all honesty, Robin park could not be considered 'close' to it).....when walking from the direction of the stations and nearing the venue, the cut-through footpath passes on the right hand side of a large ASDA store, so a good opportunity to use the cash machine and buy some snacks/sandwiches is presented.

For info the Wigan venue is right opposite the main entrance to the DW Stadium. There are brown information signs on all main roads into Wigan for the DW stadium, just follow them. A huge car park (free when no matches are played) is just to the north of the stadium, behind the Red Robin pub - 2 minute walk to the venue.

Looking forward to this superb show.

Brit15

Picture on flyer posted by Andy is of "Alloa" also to be featured (all going well) in June issue of Hornby magazine, due out around 11 May, so get your preview there!

The van is booked and we are all deciding what we are having on the Saturday dinner. Hope there isn't three feet of snow this time and we can make it safely!

...Or you could look in the April 2009 issue of BRM......

Summat Colliery rewired last night with two updated DC06 MERG block cut-out units, probably the first layout to use this new design "in anger"

Anyone interested in this unit please ask at the show. It's not been fully tested but looks promising and is faultless so far with the Powercab.

Smoke unit for the chimney to replace tonight, must get some baby oil for it too!

Now, about those wheels that need cleaning ........

Hope you've got a switch installed to bypass the DC06 for when the smoke comes out of the wrong chimney...

• RMweb Gold

Ha Ha!

I'm pretty confident in the DC06's, I've built a total of four now, one has gone off to Martin Perry for him to design a proper test program, then the fourth will be used to "round robin" test with every type of DCC system we can get our hands on.

If all else fails they do have a bypass option too! ;)

I have more baby oil than is healthy for a 47 year old man now too, I went and bought a bottle today, only to find that SWMBO had got some too, bless her. The layout will smell a lot better than a real colliery this weekend :lol:

We seem to be well organised having moved all our gear in a 7 ton truck from storage down to the Sports Centre this morning in BRILLIANT SUNSHINE. A far cry from past winter December days when the weather was far from pleasent, when either being frozen or soaked or both was the order of the day. So we are now ready to jump into action tomorrow when we begin to set up. I noticed a distinct spring in our Exhibition Manager's step as he looks forward to the weekend.

The local weather forecast promises SUN with some showers or maybe even showers with some SUN, but either way there is no sign of either frost, snow or fog. However it is unlikely to be beach weather so it will be a perfect opportunity to visit a Model Railway Exhibition, and although I am only slightly biased, I think Wigan is well worth a visit. We would very much welcome your support as our small group embarks on our new venture of turning our established Winter Exhibition into a summer one.

37 Quality Layouts await you!!

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Now I am at a secret location close to the Wigan border I am really looking forward to the show.

It was very strange travelling over the tops in the sunshine after being use to travelling over in the dark for so many years.

If you are attending the show, feel free to stop by the DCC demo that I will be providing. Anything to stop working and I don't bite honest!!

See you all at the weekend

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Leighton Buzzard has had its usual thorough checks and servicing before packing up in the morning. A couple of point and signal mechanisms needed a bit of attention and one of the locos needed a bit of work when the motor fixing arrangements expired and the motor fell off but other than that all seems well.

Each time we go out with the layout, I never quite know what to expect, which makes it all rather exciting! Sometimes the old thing behaves very nicely and sometimes it doesn't. Now that I am getting to know all the little tricks that make it go, we seem to be getting better rather than worse running, so hopefully Wigan will be a good one.

One thing the layout doesn't like is being heated up too much, as we discovered at Manchester last year. All sorts of electrical joints close up and we get shorts and cross feeds everywhere, so hopefully the June weather will be just right for us. No rain/snow/ice but no heatwave either.

Hopefully see some RMWebbers there, it certainly looks like a show too good to miss.

Tony

Archived