Wigan Model Railway Exhibition 2012, 16th and 17th June 2012

beast66606

If you had followed the Model Rail Show sign intead of turning right it would have taken you past a large car park that was almost empty all morning. It was for that very reason that the sign was there.

The first club sign we saw on the way from westhoughton and through town centre was attached to the fence at the new fish and chip shop near the stadium. We specifically looked at many junctions but nothing was too obvious if they were out there at 2pm Saturday. Following signs to robin park or the stadium makes it easy enough though specially when doing the Wigan crawl along pottery road at 5 mph. Whoever thought the bus lane would be a good idea needs to be locked up.

I made the journey from Surrey on Saturday and it was well worth it. Excellent show. First time I had seen Alloa, which certainly looked the part. It was good to see Gresley Beat and Leicester South GC again. Lots of other good layouts too. The main hall did get very hot but opening the doors helped a bit.

Weather was not so good. It was very dark and raining when 46233 went belting through Wigan NW in the morning - too fast for my camera. I also got soaked on the way back to the station. Journey back to London was in 390 157, one of the new 11-car Pendolinos. A slight downer at the end of the day was SWT cancelling my train home from Waterloo.

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed the quality of the work on show, with several layouts I had not seen before and others that are always worth another look.

Disappointments? Well, two possibly.

I didn't get to sample the catering as when I arrived you couldn't get near it and when i had been round the halls there didn't seem much choice left. Not a problem though as there are plenty of establishments nearby.

The trade stands seemed to have a lot of electronic bits and RTR boxes, but I didn't find a lot of the things I was looking for in the way of parts. Still, that wasn't the first priority of the visit, and I will find them later or via the web.

If next year's list of layouts looks as good I will be back if I am free that weekend.

Went today, could only spend 2 hours so had to be picky about what to watch - says a lot about an exhibition when there are more than 2 hours worth of casual watching available.

£10 to enter at first sight could be viewed as a lot, but then you also get a decent show guide, a lot of space to move around and a very big selection of layouts and probably a greater number of large layouts as well.

Wigan is always a must see show and long may it continue that way.

One thing that worries me from a exhibitor perspective is how much quieter it always is in Hall 2 even with Gresley Beat it seemed to have less people around despite having a few decent layouts in there.

Hi All

Got back from the show about an hour and half ago, and Glenuig is now staked up in the Kitchen. I ended up been a one man show, still I hope I entertained all. Thanks to everyone who stopped by for a chat, and I apologize for the sticky coupling on the brake van!.

Thanks, Warren Lane “Maggie†for looking after me in the tea department, Jonathan, for operating while I had lunch, and Mike, for helping e carry the thing for what seamed to be a mile into the show.

From the brief look at the show saw, the quality was fantastic, and I will be going back next year as a paying punter. I think Steve and the team should be thanked for putting on a great show, and for inviting me.

I found myself, opposite Mr Redgate, and to the left of Warren lane, on my right, was a strange black tent, with mysterious goings on and many lights, and a bloke, who kept phoning home.

Next booked outing for the Glen, is Stafford next year, so I have some time to find some reliable helpers.

Gary

Today was my first visit to the Wigan show.

I've wanted to go previous years but with it being over a 3 hour drive from home the winter date and resulting weather always put paid to my plans.

However I'm glad the organisers moved to a summer date as it was well worth the long drive. The quality of the layouts was amasing. It took all morning after arriving at around 10:30 to get round the layouts in hall 1. After lunch I did hall 2 followed by the trade.

It wasn't overly busy and it was laid out so well it was easy to get round everything and not miss the odd layout like you can often do at Warley.

I visited on Saturday, spending near-enough 6 hours in the show (having done almost as much talking as viewing!). Overall a very good show, pretty much every base covered among the layouts, and even though not all to my taste, every one had something of merit to take from it. Trade - a decent selection without too much overlap - I got everything I set out hoping/expecting to find.

Negatives: - just two things and both outside WFRM's direct control. As others have mentioned, it was rather warm and stale in the main hall (much fresher in the other halls). Had it been warmer outside it could have been seriously uncomfortable but that is the nature of the building and little can be done about it. Catering (wot no pies?) was overwhelmed - I joined a short queue at five to twelve; by five past it was round the hall and out the door. My burger was cold and went back, and I was less than impressed to be handed a poly cup with (few) coffee granules in and be told "there's a boiler over there..." Had the weather been a bit better, I would have gone elsewhere...

Paul

. Catering (wot no pies?) was overwhelmed - I joined a short queue at five to twelve; by five past it was round the hall and out the door. My burger was cold and went back, and I was less than impressed to be handed a poly cup with (few) coffee granules in and be told "there's a boiler over there..." Had the weather been a bit better, I would have gone elsewhere...

Paul

You where in Lancashire, so be thankful you got more than mud like gravy and red cabbage!

I visited on Saturday, spending near-enough 6 hours in the show (having done almost as much talking as viewing!). Overall a very good show, pretty much every base covered among the layouts, and even though not all to my taste, every one had something of merit to take from it. Trade - a decent selection without too much overlap - I got everything I set out hoping/expecting to find.

Negatives: - just two things and both outside WFRM's direct control. As others have mentioned, it was rather warm and stale in the main hall (much fresher in the other halls). Had it been warmer outside it could have been seriously uncomfortable but that is the nature of the building and little can be done about it. Catering (wot no pies?) was overwhelmed - I joined a short queue at five to twelve; by five past it was round the hall and out the door. My burger was cold and went back, and I was less than impressed to be handed a poly cup with (few) coffee granules in and be told "there's a boiler over there..." Had the weather been a bit better, I would have gone elsewhere...

Paul

You are right they are not directly under our control but they do affect our show. On Sunday we got the fire doors open a lot earlier and the temperature was more comfortable. As to the catering, if you feel strongly enough a letter the the Sports Centre Management would be much appreciated, as we have tried to impress upon them how important we feel the catering is to the show. It has however improved over the last two years as more seating space has become available in the third hall. I did notice that a lot of visitors where sitting in the hall eating their own food. That in its self should awaken the management to the fact that they are losing money. There is nothing that changes situations quicker than simple economics.

• RMweb Premium

A really good show and another brilliant day out at Wigan.

I was mesmerised by the action on Warren Lane. I’ve seen this striking layout before but the extension really does it proud. Hopefully, I’ll get to see it again.

Layout details which were of specific interest from our own layout perspective included the shed and railway structures on The Gresley Beat, the Cornish way of doing things on St Merryn, and the waterside features on Loch Tat (well done on your win, too).

And, for that surprise factor, Angst-Lesspork. I know little of Terry Pratchett books but our son does so here was something to report back home. It was also interesting to find out how the wall lights on some of the buildings were made. Thanks to Hugh Norwood for his helpful explanation.

The list and photos on RMWEB in advance of the show and recent magazine articles helped enormously towards the days enjoyment. Top layouts. Well done all of you.

Apart from the absence of fresh milk (unfortunately, Wigan is not the only event where this is the situation), I was disappointed that there was little in the way of 00 gauge layout accessories (structures and lineside detailing, in my case). Perhaps next time as home layout is still at the early stages – not that we went home empty handed. I can commend the trade stands that were there and the helpful and good natured people manning them.

Thanks to all.

• RMweb Gold

I am now the proud owner of a DCC chipped APT with full overhead catenary in mint trainset box.

Dead pleased as I negotiated hard and got them down to 49p

So you where the person who got it before me, I had my eye on that :no: :jester:

But being serouse for a moment, I would just like to say a big thank you to the organising team who put on a great show, I was demoing and what little time i had to wander round (i was that busy with people asking questions) I had to pick the layouts that i wanted to see very carefully as there was so much to see. Reading the guide last night i even missed out on a few layouts and traders that i didnt know where there.

I also caught up with friends and have a laugh which is what this hobby is about!!

Trade wise, each person will see it diffrently. From what i saw there was something for everyone and heaven forbid that people have to make things :O you could have gone away with a kit, wheels and all the detailing bits you needed including DCC chips if you do that sort of thing. I got everything i needed and bits i didn't so from my point of view it was good.

The show just keeps getting better and better. Looking forward to next year already.

Keep up the good work and hopefully next year i will be able to help with set up.

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Well, first a big thanks to the WFRM team for their hospitality all weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it :)

The weekends started off with a 3+ hour trip to the venue, torrential rain, traffic jams and finally the interminable 30mph limit practically all the way from the M61 - what is it with Wigan, are they saving money on speed limit signs?

So, got Summat set up and tested, and Harry was not happy, sticking/stallling going forwards. So the rolling road, powercab and toolbox were packed up with Harry as we headed for the Hotel.

Watched the footy in the bar whilst stripping Harry down - Burger and pint £10

Tested Harry back in the room, still no bettter, in fact in reverse the worm was slipping on the gear. Packed the motor with paper soaked in superglue. Reverse much better, forwards still bad.

So Saturday's running was changed with #49 taking front stage with the class 20 doing the behind the scenes shunting.

Saturday night was the meal - big thanks to the WFRM team for laying on a coach to the venue from our hotel, had a really great time chatting with Chris R (I think!) and the others on my table.

Back to the hotel things could have gone seriously downhill. There was a wedding reception taking place and whilst the noise from the "disco" was not noticeable in the bar area, my room was literally vibrating with the bass. Top marks to the hotel staff though who very quickly found me a single room on the top floor so I could get some shut-eye :)

Sunday morning I got up early to have another try at getting Harry sorted. On removing the wheelsets there was some tell-tale brass dust behind one of the wheels - the pickup had been digging into the wheel back. A quick tweak with tweezers and Harry was running perfectly and continued to do so all day, front stage as intended :)

I agree that hall 1 especially got unbearably hot and is something to consider for the the organizers for next year.

I got all my shopping list (and more) sorted, thanks to Coopercraft for delivering the gibson wheels first thing Saturday morning ;) I was sooooooo close to buying the new 0-4-0 tank engine kit from Judith Edge, it is a seriously lovely piece of engineering - ony my current focus on O gauge deterring me from this beautiful distraction.

Less than 2 hours to get home completed the weekend.

Thanks too to all the organisers of the Wigan Exhibition from Burgess Hill MRC and the Orestone Quay team for a very enjoyable weekend spent 'playing trains' for the weekend!

After the horrendous journey up from Sussex (4 hours from Warwick Services alone on Friday) we were a little apprehensive for the return journey... Fortunately we had no major holdup apart from 15 minutes delay just before Junction 9 on the M6 south and so got home at 23.30 - much better.

It was nice to have the welcome breeze in hall 2 both days, satisfying that we were inside when we could see the pouring rain outside on Saturday afternoon!

The evening meal was a great social occasion, I enjoyed chatting with all on my table (Yes Redgate Models it was I!) and the crew from Gamle Carlsberg. This really helps to make the weekend a most pleasant event.

Thanks to all those who passed comment on the layout (all favourable, hooray), its first outing this far north, It's good to hear them. We found a couple of gremlins appearing late on Sunday but hopefully weren't noticed by those on the other side to us. Now it's back at the club room we have a little work to do before its next outing.

Thanks again, A great show with quality throughout and I would really like to go next year.Time to save up for the train fare...

Chris

This was the first time that I have been to Wigan show and I decided that there was no point in trying to vote for the best layout as there were so many that were very good.

Many thanks to the members of Wigan club for the help we received in the unloading of Kirkhill on the Friday night. We all thoroughly enjoyed the weekend running the layout and chatting to people about the snow, stock and finer details of coaching stock depot equipment.

Glenn and I were also above the wedding disco on Saturday night but a few pints of Moorcroft's Blonde Witch from the local pub soon sent us to sleep.

Again, the drive home was remarkably clear. All in all a great weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to the members of Wigan club for the help we received in the unloading of Kirkhill on the Friday night.

And Wirral Finescale - the original WFRM ;)

I was the one on the entrance, along with my lovely lady, and some fellow WFRM2 members, haranguing people for their exhibitors passes and taking money off the public.

• RMweb Gold

I was the one on the entrance, along with my lovely lady, and some fellow WFRM2 members, haranguing people for their exhibitors passes and taking money off the public.

And as promised, not giving any discounts, though I did try...

Perhaps you tea shirt should have read “I AM the Beast†then folks like me who are totally useless with faces, would have realized. :no:

Gary

• RMweb Gold

And as promised, not giving any discounts, though I did try...

You and several hundred others !

Perhaps you tea shirt should have read “I AM the Beast†then folks like me who are totally useless with faces, would have realized. :no:

Gary

Not sure about that, some people don't like me apparently :nono:

:mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Gary

Dave's easy to spot - Jill doesn't let him stray from her side for long :lol:

I was an exhibitor, who ended up been a one man layout operator. The only bit of the show I actually saw, was the immediate area around Glenuig, and I actually missed Leighton Buzzard, for the second time this year, despite been practically opposite. To show how little time I did have to myself, I had 100 trainset tokens in my pocket, and only spent £6.50.

Archived