Hornby, Heljan or Bachmann

I was looking at some models and I want to know which do you think is the best quality made models Hornby, Heljan or Bachmann

I need advice from you guys and what pros or cons you have had with your models!!!!

That's rather a 'how long is a piece of string question?'

I have no real preference between the manufacturers, I run a mixture of Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan and Dapol 'OO' diesels, mostly BR 'blue period' and find that all of mine work well and look pretty good. All are analogue using Gaugemaster controllers and I've had no problems.

Heljan reportedly pull more amps, but as I rarely double head it's not been an issue for me. However mine run very well.

If you do some searches on here and read the posts you will find a vast number of assorted comments, many on detail inaccuracies. It's really a question of what you like and want to run.

So just do a search on the manufacturers and look in the manufacturers section and you get plenty of answers.

I was looking at some models and I want to know which do you think is the best quality made models Hornby, Heljan or Bachmann

I need advice from you guys and what pros or cons you have had with your models!!!!

Which models were you looking at?

Is there a particular period or region you are interested in modelling?

If you can provide a wee bit more focus then we can give more meaningful answers. Especially a pointer to steam or diesel (and/or electric)....

For starters, you probably need to be aware that Hornby has two basic ranges, its state of the art range and the more basic RailRoad offering. Bachmann are a long way through upgrading their range's chassis, although that applies mainly to steam so (judging your avatar) may be irrelevant. As John says, every model has its supporters and detractors, and the number of out-and-out bona fide turkeys in the marketplace in Q2/2012 is reassuringly small.

My layout (West London Parcels) is not on the forum and is now being dismantled, it was rather tired having done too many shows over the last 6-7 years. It was set in a fictional location just off the West London Railway near Olympia (ish) in the late 60s, early 70s. It had 3rd rail and ran Hornby & Bachmann 08s, 24s, 25s, Hornby and Lima 73s, Heljan 15, 33s and a Hymek. Some kit built and Bachmann EMUs, kitbashed DMUs (mainly old Lima).

Being only 12ft long nothing ran fast! Provided track and wheels were clean, all the above trundled slowly around quite happily, shunting about a few parcels vans and the occasional p'way train. I used ordinary Peco Code 100 track and live frog points.

I've recently got a Dapol 22 and using that at the club, it was a lovely runner straight out of the box.

So, hope that helps

John

Personal opinion (obviously) is that IN GENERAL Hornby models tend to have the edge over Bachmann visually, but should they require disassembly for any reason I tend to dread touching anything Hornby - most of their models seem to require at least 2-3 pairs of hands to get back together! Cue loud profanities when the Hornby pickups go flying on to your workbench! Opinion mostly based on steam models though.

cool, BR blue (20,24,26,27, 08,03) right through to Modern Image (66,70,60,57,47, DMU, EMU) etc......

thanks

20 Bachmann

24 Bachmann

26 Heljan

27 Heljan

08 Hornby. I think it has the edge over the Bachmann one. But only just.

03 Bachmann

For new stuff, it's all Bachmann apart from the 60 (Hornby) I have a Heljan Brush type 4 (47 in new money) but the improvement with the Bachmann one isn't worth the cost. Can't comment on ViTrains, as I've had no experience of them.

Hornby - class 31/50/60 are some of the best models around, but you will pay a price. Don't confuse the 31 with the cheapo ec Lima 31.if you don't know Hornby bought Lima out and has been releasing warmed over models ever since.

Bachmann 20/24/25/37/47/57/66. All veritable good models. Some issues with window shape on 25, and the 47 (older releases ) got a bit of a hammering for the bits in common with the 57. 66 is great, as are the later and current 37s ( this is about their 4th attempt).

Heljan 47, is a bit too wide. Mine never ran very well strangely, putting me off the manufacturer in general.

Vitrains- some people highly rate the 47 for it's shape, but there are alot of extra detail parts to add, so I'd go Bachmann. Class 37 is ok but it doesn't quite match the Bachmann one in looks or performance or finish.

Dapol- no experience as yet.

All this is just my opinion , but I have had alot of locos over the last 10 years. As was said if you want to research thenpros and cons of specific items do a search or go to the manufacturers section

As has been stated it really comes down to what you want and who makes it. Having said that I am generally a nervous wreck after dismantling a Hornby loco due to the amount of detail parts made from easilly breakable plastic (Hornbys plastic seems far more brittle than that of the other makers). A Schools really took the mickey - nothing plastic fell off it as far as I am aware but when I decided to unfit a front coupling the whole bogie fell off it!! (nut and bolt to the rescue). Not content with winding me up that way it has now developed a complete short on dcc (okay on dc).

for me it's (1) batchmann (2) vi trains (3) Heljan (4) old lima (5) Dapol (6) Hornby. i model BR blue 1970's but it depend's on the class of train you are affter .

Have to agree with this. I have been in the hobby just under a year and Hornby has been very disappointing. All my Bachmann and ViTrains have given me no trouble though.

To be brutally honest, when I take a Hornby locomotive / coach out of its box I wonder how many bits will be unattached. Bachmann products seem to me to be in a higher league, but they do have their day. I cannot comment on any other manufacturer.

Regards Ray

• RMweb Gold

Heljan 47, is a bit too wide. Mine never ran very well strangely, putting me off the manufacturer in general.

I have a Heljan Western which took 16 coaches up the gradient on my friend's layout. Some of his steamers can't manage 8 coaches. So, a loco that looks like a Western and can manage such a huge payload? I'm happy with the manufacturer in general.

My experiance has been that all the companies are capable of making lemons or decent loco's.

In the 'States for example Bachmann's name is not very good at all but over here they are being compared to some amazing product from the likes of Atlas, etc.

Best, Pete.

thanks guys, I model in 00 gauge BR blue diesel locos as well as the odd Network south eastern livery. thanks for the advice!!!!

Maybe you guys could all post a photo of one of you favourite locos!!!

They've all made some stunners and they've all made some dogs.

I never exclude a model on the basis of the colour of its box and I never buy blindly on that basis either.

More and more I find myself studying new models carefully over a period of time and if I find one that passes scrutiny (and that's not often)...

... I wait for one to come up on eBay later at a more affordable price. :imsohappy:

For the BR Blue era you may want to hold your horses on whatever class 52 you go for as Dapol are bringing theirs out sometime this year.

I've heard mixed stories on the sound 08's though I think this may be more down to the speaker size than the recording.

Strange question really. I have a Bachmann sound 66 - it's OK, it's a bit 'tinny' because of the small speaker. You can get great sound from bass reflex speakers, but it's a cost too far for me at present.

Sound quality varies greatly. some installs work out of the box others require fettling but if the sound files are poor to start with no amount of fettling will sort it. cost hasnt changed one iota and youd think it would have come down by now.

for now, for me, its currently

Bachmann in the no.1 spot

Dapol - on the basis that they are pushing forward now with British RTR in 00

then Heljan as I have plenty of their class 26s and 27s which are fine

then Hornby - i have their new HST which is superb but dont require their equally good 31, 50, 60 or 67. they dont seem to be pushing as much as Dapol to rework their older D&E stuff (hopefully you understand the context here!). i dont like to tell people how to suck eggs!

Archived