The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Favourite Movie

scots region

Villain

Robbery

Get Carter

Performance

The Wrong Arm Of The Law

Two Way Stretch

The Ipcress File

The Ladykillers

The Offence

The Dambusters

The Long Good Friday

Blow Up

Up The Junction

Hard to pick just one really, they all tend to come round in rotation!

I'll bare my soul because my choice is not what you expect from a former gun toting action man and electric guitarist!

More from my love of Beethoven: "IMMORTAL, BELOVED" starring Gary Oldman.

Best, Pete.

The Searchers (John Wayne)

Train Robbers (John Wayne)

Chisum (John Wayne)

The Comancheros (John Wayne)

Red River (John Wayne)

Fort Apache (John Wayne)

Master Commander (Russell Crow)

Last of the Mohecans (Daniel Day Lewis)

The Goodfellows (Robert DeNiro)

Dances with Wolves (Kevin Costner)

Tombstone (Kurt Russel, Val Kilmer)

• RMweb Premium

The Cruel Sea

Ice Cold in Alex

Original versions of Star Wars (anything either made or mucked about with after about 1989 does not and should not have existed, except maybe the Lego sets!)

The Black Hole (if only for the outstanding John Barry soundtrack!)

Airplane!

Airplane II!

Total Recall

Midnight Run

Duel

Mad Max (and sequels)

Ghostbusters

North West Frontier

Where Eagles Dare

There are also lots of movies that I only like for the soundtrack which in many cases is the only reason for watching what was otherwise a pretty terrible film, Raise The Titanic (again a John Barry score) being a prime example!

There is absolutely no contest for me. Just on the basis of the writing (and let's face it, it becomes perfect when you factor in the incredible acting, and set design), it has to be Casablanca.

There is no other film which could claim to be so perfect as this one.

There is absolutely no contest for me. Just on the basis of the writing (and let's face it, it becomes perfect when you factor in the incredible acting, and set design), it has to be Casablanca.

There is no other film which could claim to be so perfect as this one.

I have to agree with you Simon, Casablanca it is, the AFI agrees with you and so do I. (Though I might say, in spite of the writing.)

There is no reason that a war-time, Warner B-pic cheapie with a warmed over script once called "Everybody comes to Rick's" with lines like "Was that cannon fire or is it my heart pounding?" should have resulted in cinematic magic, but it did.

"Major Strasser has been shot, round up the usual subjects." is perhaps my favourite line in a move.

To the contributions listed so far I would add:

The Godfather

The Godfather Part II

which really are masterpieces, and for sheer Hollywood 'epicness' (not that that is a word) of sound, cinematography and a bit of acting, I also submit David Lean's big pictures:

Laurence of Arabia

Bridge on the River Kwai

Doctor Zhivago

The Searchers (John Wayne)

Of that genre, The Searchers is the best.

Airplane!

Airplane II!

I was with you with Airplane! but Airplane II: The Sequel, surely you jest? (I'll never get over macho grande, and don't call me Shirley.) If you like Airplane! You MUST watch Zero Hour!. It's worth it, trust me. It's where the "!" comes from (and just about everything else).

casablanca

a night at the opera

I'll have the Duck Soup

I went to the same school Eric Liddell went to - the school named their sports centre after him. Gloria Filiorum Patres.

Simon,

Slightly digressing from movies, but I recommend the book "Eric Liddell: Pure Gold" by David McCasland. There was a lot more to Eric Liddell than (just) being an Olympic Champion.

It'd be good if some of today's athletes followed his example of true sportsmanship.

Regards,

Peter

Archived