The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Custom painted Train on my Astra?

M Graff

Hi all!

I just bought this car:

opel-astra-761426_96406635.jpg

And as I'm a custom Airbrush artist, I will finally paint something I own, instead of others vehicles..... :sungum:

This is a sketch of how I envision it to be:

IMG_20120509_125307.jpg

What do you think?

Could it be cool?

I have some plans for the other side and the bonnet as well....

• RMweb Gold

I've seen Mini Ones with what appears to be an x-ray through the car side, showing the door frame and a human skeleton sat in the seat - wth the driver's head visible in the side window completing the bizarre image.

Could you do a similar concept with a loco, so the cab places you as the driver in the loco driving seat ?

Thanks!

Here is a revised version without the "streaks" and with different buildings.....:

IMG_20120509_212645.jpg

Looks cleaner now :-)

Much more appropriate to do it on a standard car, rather than on a sport car or hot rod...

I definitely prefer that version, it looks cleaner. I like the expression you've added too, quite appropriate given the amount of work it'll take to do the mural and, er, it being an Astra :)

This keeps popping up on my Radar, probably because nobody wants it:

http://www.autotrade...ge/30?logcode=p

Well it IS a PT-cruiser....

I would love to own one due to the styling, but the quality issues has saved me from such ventures....

The artist who made the paint job is VERY good, probably one of the better in the UK?!?

Strange about the non selling issue though... all show-vehicles I have painted have sold very easily when put on the market.

But then I have never made a Harry Potter themed one... :-)

What do you think?

Could it be cool?

I have some plans for the other side and the bonnet as well....

Not to my taste, but at least you aren't - I hope - planning on nailing a shonky body kit and massive spoiler to it. For that way leads to the dark side and your own thread on the Barryboys website :O

Not to my taste, but at least you aren't - I hope - planning on nailing a shonky body kit and massive spoiler to it. For that way leads to the dark side and your own thread on the Barryboys website :O

No chance of that! :no:

I'm teached in the learnings of everyday art.... :paint:

And as such I prefer to be able to actually drive the car! :O

And as my wife will drive it, , there have to be some terrain driving capabilities......

Have you thought about designing it and having the it made into vinyls? Means if it gets damaged it could easily be reinstated and removed if tastes change or you come to sell the car.

body kit and massive spoiler to it.

What's wrong with body kits and spoilers?

Have you thought about designing it and having the it made into vinyls? Means if it gets damaged it could easily be reinstated and removed if tastes change or you come to sell the car.

Vinyls? That would be wrong to have on my own car....... I work as an Airbrush artist you know.... :-)

And I would also consider myself the last owner of this car that actually cares about it.....

Body kits and spoilers are nice on a car that needs them,

instead of just adding drag and fuel consumption on a car that barely makes 180 km/h.....

Besides that. A Rieger body kit costs as much as I paid for the whole car...

I will however buy some alloy wheels, as the ride quality is better with them.

Of course with the same dimensions as the original wheels,

as it would be very hard to get it through the Swedish MOT with some wider/bigger wheels.....

It always amuses me how much money kids will waste on cars that have a faster depreciation in value than it's top speed, especially Vauxhalls.

(no smileys seem available ??!!)

On a front wheel drive family hatchback, everything.

Never owned a hatchback... But on a FWD car a properly designed splitter can have a positive effect.

Of course anything like this will increase drag, that's the point - using the air flow to create an additional force on the car will increase fuel consumption ever so slightly, but adds grip which helps when cornering and when braking.

It always amuses me how much money kids will waste on cars that have a faster depreciation in value than it's top speed, especially Vauxhalls.

But if they enjoy and don't harm others, then who cares?! :lol:

Of course, the really clued up ones spend money on free flow exhaust manifolds, exhuast and FMICs :D

• RMweb Gold

Why not go for a full bodywork job? In the early days of TGVs, SNCF had a fleet of publicity vehicles. Based on a C35 van, the front end was completely remodelled to look like the nose and cab of a TGV.

Also, have you seen the recent news item on Yahoo? A guy has painted his garage door to look as though it is open and has a Ferrari inside. Brilliantly done. Perhaps one could do the same thing but paint the inside of a loco shed?

Never owned a hatchback... But on a FWD car a properly designed splitter can have a positive effect.

Of course anything like this will increase drag, that's the point - using the air flow to create an additional force on the car will increase fuel consumption ever so slightly, but adds grip which helps when cornering and when braking.

Adding extra downforce to the rear wheels of a FWD car is an exercise in futility at the best of times, let alone when it's something like a 1.2 Punto already weighed down with a shedload of ICE :lol:

But if they enjoy and don't harm others, then who cares?! :lol:

Fair enough, but by the same token, if you modify your car in order to attract attention then you can't complain when it does exactly that ;)

Adding extra downforce to the rear wheels of a FWD car is an exercise in futility at the best of times

I didn't suggest that - I suggested a splitter. A spoiler is fine on a FWD hatchback - a rear wing wouldn't be so good though. Aiding airflow over the car helps things but a wing adding down force at the rear could be counter productive.

A properly designed body kit can help reduce fuel consumption - VW Blue Motion models feature proper aerodymanic body kits which assist in this respect. Depending on design these can make a car more 'slippery' through the air or can help push the car down to aid grip. A good after market kit can offer this - the Halford's one-size-fits-all 'spoiler' will probably not so much good...

• RMweb Premium

(no smileys seem available ??!!)

Err I spent quite a bit on my Vauxhall, 4 new cams (well S/H) ported heads - got another 20 or so BHP. Then the sports springs (my rear ones had snapped), and some air shocks on the back.

Also fitted poly bushes as it ate the rubber bushes

• RMweb Premium

Adding extra downforce to the rear wheels of a FWD car is an exercise in futility at the best of times, let alone when it's something like a 1.2 Punto already weighed down with a shedload of ICE :lol:

Fair enough, but by the same token, if you modify your car in order to attract attention then you can't complain when it does exactly that ;)

I used to have a mad old hot hatch, no body kit, but forest springs, heavy duty front bushes, rally cam twin carb, close ratio gear box BUT highest gearing rear axle.

Was great for train chasing with my video camera.

I would have loved the biggest engine version but would never of afforded it, I just had a 1.6

Archived