Tripod Assistance Please

Pugsley

• RMweb Gold

Anyone using a tripod with a DSLR should check their instruction manual. My Pentax manual says to switch off the anti-shake system when using a tripod, presumably because it confuses the electronics.

Good point. Different systems use different methods of anti-shake. So while Pentax and some others have the system built into the body, Nikon and Canon DSLRs have the VR/IS built into selected lenses only - but the advice is the same as you suggest. The complexity of modern cameras, added to the male reluctance to look at any instruction manual, makes this even more important!

Rather a daft question, but what are the benefits of using a tripod?

I can understand their use for timed night-time exposures, for telephoto work or taking shots models, but why in other circumstances?

Also useful if you are in to HDR (High Dynamic Range) work..

As are we all, at least in comparison to the film days. Digital is effectively free once you've made the initial purchase, so the careful composition that once partnered every expensive shot has been abandoned in many cases. That's why those who have the will and patience to use a tripod and compose at leisure will outshine the rest of us.

But Ian, don't you find some pictures "too good" nowadays, and lack a certain edge to them.

By the way, getting back on topic, just looked at my tripod and it's a Velbon. Still going strong after 40+ years.

• RMweb Gold

As are we all, at least in comparison to the film days. Digital is effectively free once you've made the initial purchase, so the careful composition that once partnered every expensive shot has been abandoned in many cases. That's why those who have the will and patience to use a tripod and compose at leisure will outshine the rest of us.

Not strictly true imho, digital images need backups and ideally a computer to process them, adding to the cost, I reckon on each photo I take costing me 1p on average.

I spotted some Velbon tripods on Tottenham Court Road yesterday, they didn't look as well made as mine from 1977, so I might reappraise my recommendations.

• RMweb Gold

I spotted some Velbon tripods on Tottenham Court Road yesterday, they didn't look as well made as mine from 1977, so I might reappraise my recommendations.

The one I use is still OK - see post #2

So's mine, and I have no intention of replacing it but the OP asked about a new tripod, and the ones I saw on Tottenham Court Road didn't look as well made.

• RMweb Gold

My Velbon is still going strong after many years but it's too heavy to cart around by train or planet now with everything else is carry

Ian

My new (Velbon) one (well about 10 months old) performed it's usual sterling service yesterday whilst I was photographing and videoing the Great Yarmouth 90 drags, and the camera it was carrying was a lot bigger than a standard SLR - at one stage I had it acting as a bipod with the camera supported on a bridge, sitting on a bean bag, and two legs of the tripod supporting the weight, got a lovely video of a 47 dragging a DVT + coaches + 90 through Reedham Junction, and the bipod was rock solid.

Like most things, we all have our goods and bads.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Over the years I've used both Manfrotto and Benbo both built like tanks but now I use simply a Sunpack which cost me about $85 quite sturdy well built for the price and reasonably lightweight so easy to carry around. Obviously this won't last as long as the Benbo or Manfrotto but its a good compromise for me. Personally I would check the tripod I was about to buy in person as they all look good when viewed on a sales website. I would also avoid U channels shaped legs I have had a couple of those break on me when I first started out.

I also use my tripod for daylight shots to reduce and motion blur a recent shot I took with a 400mm lens and using the old rule of thumb that your shutter speed should be higher than the focal length of your lens meant due to lighting conditions I had to use the tripod with a shutter speed of 1/320.

Andrew

For several years the tripod I've used most often, particularly for self shot video using a small DV or HDV camera  is the Libec TH650. I've got two of them and mine were actually branded as Heiwa. It's well made but light enough for field work with a quick release plate and a fast levelling head. You can also remove the head to bring the whole thing down to carry-on luggage size. I do have a Manfrotto tripod which is very good and built like a tank but found it too heavy with the other kit needed for shooting on my own whereas I could sling the TH650 in its bag over my shoulder and carry it all day.  Some people have said they find it too light particularly when zoomed in and there is a tradeoff between weight and steadiness. You tend to get some shake if you're clumsy with it which the Manfrotto would tend to dampen out- but I've never ended up with a bad back and I suspect that with the heavier tripod I'd have ended up trying to do more hand held instead of setting it up each time. 

The reason for turning off the image stabliisation for moving pictures on a tripod is that it tends to see the start of a pan or tilt as shake and tries to compensate until it can do so no longer which defeats your nice smooth move. I don't know why that's also needed for stills work.  

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted something sturdy enough to cope with an L series lense but small and light enough to travel around so I bought myself a Manfrotto 732CY carbon fibre tripod. Its small, light and with a suitable head (not the small one you can buy it with.. which is NOT the one in this review) it works very well with a 7D, battery grip and metal L series lense(24-105 F4). It weighs nothing and is very compact. Bit of shake with the stem fully extended though.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/manfrotto-732cy-tripod_Camera-Accessory_review

Archived