RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Saw the layout in the flesh today. Even better. All the "Guys" were really helpful and answered many questions. Thank you to all concerned. It was getting admiring looks from many of the visitors old and young, male & female.

Andy & Gringo did a talk at midday. The suggestion (by me!) that Andy was under DCC control with his hands free microphone gadget were not proven.

PS - If you do introduce a scrap yard then I have a name for your consideration - it could be "Bentley's" as Ron Bentley from Lower Gornal worked in scrap metal business for many years. He worked for Dowd's and before that i think Arnie Youngs. 

http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/atv-today-15011974-long-distance-runner/MediaEntry/20607.html

He was also a renowned runner from Tipton Harriers setting a world best in 1973 for 24 hours when he ran 161 odd miles. We used to run to and from work. Like a lot of things from the Black Country they "bred um tuff". He's still alive and will be 83 this November.

Edited by Baloo The Bear
  • Like 5

One or two. ;)

A big well done to you guys; it looked like you had operations cracked and ran pretty well for its first outing with the proper stock and locos running to a plan.Thinking on the way back I really do regret not having the chance to soak it all in.

attachicon.gifFeature1s.jpg

More in due course but I'd love to see what everyone else took.

Me too.

Believe it or not, we don't get to see it really !!

• RMweb Gold

It looks like Chris [2manyspams] is doing his best Sandie Shaw impression there. :jester: and is that magic dust he's sprinkling.

Great scenics joking apart.

Edited by gwrrob

Posted today by Andy Y

post-14408-0-53362000-1382299937.jpg

you can just sense the person walking down by the canal and spots the oncoming train, nipping over the fence to take the pic and the ear shattering warning blast they`re  about to get from the driver.

showing the build skills of all involved and Andy y`s photographic line of thought.

Edited by yorkie_pudd
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

It looks like Chris [2manyspams] is doing his best Sandie Shaw impression there. :jester: and is that magic dust he's sprinkling.

Great scenics joking apart.

To be fair I only did the base scenics, the boys finished it off Rob.

• Like 1

To be fair I only did the base scenics, the boys finished it off Rob.

What matters Chris is you did your part small or large and gave the team a solid foundation to work with, which pictures have shown / proved the quality of BCB full stop.

PS: For my part in BCB I call dibbs on the first pig for hog roasting ... yum yum  (although most cant see them on the other side but I know they are there)

Edited by yorkie_pudd
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just back from a great weekend with the layout. I think we're all really pleased with how the layout looked and performed over the weekend. Thanks to everyone who stopped and chatted us and also thanks for the comments (and exhibition invite enquiries) we have received. Looks like we might be a bit busy over the next couple of years!

• Like 7

In further feverish last-minute activity Andy also built the roving bridge abutments and slopes to suit the roving bridge, after 15 minutes frantic scraping and fitting on Friday night they looked as though they'd always been there.

attachicon.gifDetail2s.jpg

Nice effect with the sunrise through the clouds on the canal bridge, clever man with lighting is Mr York..... :sungum:

Nice effect with the sunrise through the clouds on the canal bridge, clever man with lighting is Mr York..... :sungum:

A shame the sun lit the backscene too!

I'm kicking myself at the moment that were other views I didn't capture; would you mind popping the layout up again for Wednesday night? ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Getting round the show on Sunday afternoon meant that for the first time I was able to enjoy a good look.  Well done to all involved.  The scenic treatment brilliantly recreates the "urban countryside" so reminiscent of parts of the Midlands, and that I personally find so evocative.  The bridges are really good too.

Some photographs I snapped quickly:

post-420-0-56686100-1382346621_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-98767400-1382346685_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 14

One of the other spots that doesn't get featured enough is a view beneath Andy's skew bridge through to John's model of Heathtown tunnel.

attachicon.gifFeature3s.jpg

Yes, there were a lot of rats about on the Sunday morning.

What with all the rats around on the layout perhaps we should rename it 'Rat Run' :scratchhead: