Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

And, if serving the works, you'll need a good few as well. The works history as it currently stands (other history's are available) has it as a cold charge, open hearth works in the 1960's. The open hearths would be oil fired and consume considerably more oil than the reheating furnaces would have in 1990's mode.

As has been said elsewhere, an anchor mounted tank is a big gap in the RTR ranges.

• RMweb Gold

Quite a number of Midland Tar Distillers tanks were moved around the Black Country from gas works. I don't know what the exact workings were but I suspect they were tripped to Bordesley, as I saw some full train loads going north through Snow Hill heading towards Oldbury. Paul Bartlett's site has some photos but site is under maintenance at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

Rattling my brains on the Nechells area, the ACC tanks at Curzon St which came out from Aston Gas Works ground frame were probably not tar. There was a chemical works adjacent to the gas works by Saltley station which I seem to remember belonged to Brothertons. Since Birmingham Corporation Gas Department days they had a contract for processing various by-products from the gas works. Whatever the process was it gave off lots of nitrogen dioxide so could have been associated with some ammonia related process.

There was a tar works off Aston Church Road, which was connected to the Aston-Stechford line at Robinsons Sidings ground frame, just east of the Derby line bridge at Washwood Heath. I believe that Robinsons was owned by Midland Tar Distillers but can't confirm this.

Regarding traffic on the South Staffs, Jan Ford's Blog has various references to Midland Tar Distillers tanks in freight trains passing Sedgeley Junction.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

Mention of tank wagons in posts above, makes it opportune to point to a current thread on Oil terminals around the country ... see... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35437-oil-terminals-no-more/

Post #33 in this thread lists oil terminals, without dates at, :- 

Rowley Regis

Bromsgrove
Charringtons Hawkesbury Lane (Between Coventry and Nuneaton)

Albion (Sandwell and Dudley) 

All near enough to justify traffic via BCB ??

And post #96  has interesting details of other traffic 

And an extract from a 1971/2 WTT  at post #169

Quote:-

Hard to believe how many paths were catered for during 1971/72, but this is what the WTT contained back then:-

6M33 1715 Coy Hebrandston-Shrewsbury

6M34 2325 MX Coy Tidal Sidings-Soho Pool

6M37 2100 Coy Llandarcy-Rowley Regis

6M38 0600 Coy Llandarcy-Rowley Regis

6M39 1840 Coy Llandarcy-Rowley Regis

6M40 0335 MX Coy Llandarcy-Rowley Regis, Witton, Wednesbury or Spring Vale

6M41 1140 Coy Llandarcy-Rowley Regis

6M49 0955 Coy Waterston-Albion

6M50 1510 Coy Waterston-Albion

6M51 0500 Coy Waterston-Kingsbury

6M52 2025 Coy MX Waterston-Albion

6M53 0048 MX Coy Waterston-Albion

Rattling my brains on the Nechells area, the ACC tanks at Curzon St which came out from Aston Gas Works ground frame were probably not tar. There was a chemical works adjacent to the gas works by Saltley station which I seem to remember belonged to Brothertons. Since Birmingham Corporation Gas Department days they had a contract for processing various by-products from the gas works. Whatever the process was it gave off lots of nitrogen dioxide so could have been associated with some ammonia related process.

There was a tar works off Aston Church Road, which was connected to the Aston-Stechford line at Robinsons Sidings ground frame, just east of the Derby line bridge at Washwood Heath. I believe that Robinsons was owned by Midland Tar Distillers but can't confirm this.

Regarding traffic on the South Staffs, Jan Ford's Blog has various references to Midland Tar Distillers tanks in freight trains passing Sedgeley Junction.

The Brothertons works were indeed alongside Nechells Gas Works and took by-products directly from there. The had siding connections to both the Midland and LNW lines, the later as Eric says via the connection to Nechels Gas Works at Aston Gas Siding Ground Frame.

Robinson Brothers did become part of Midland Tar Distillers. There was traffic to there tripped the short distance from Windsor Street Gas Works, amongst others.

In the mid 60s there were relatively few block oil workings, the main ones being to Albion, Soho Pool and Rowley Regis as already mentioned. As others started up, to industrial locations, these were often one way block trains with the empties tripped out and sent back by normal wagon load trains.Flows that started in the later 60s included Naptha to gas works at Coleshill, Tipton and Nechells, the Tipton one being of BCB interest. Sources were Thames Haven, Fawley, Milford Haven and Avonmouth for a while.

For a mid-60s BCB I would suggest tanks for the works would be tripped in daily in blocks of four or five on one of the Bescot trippers.

Which reminds me I promised Mark a 1960s WTT....

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikeh
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I well remember the Fawley - Tipton workings. One Saturday I was at Dudley Port with a possession of the interlocking for changes at Albion. A Class 33 appeared at the Up Goods Loop exit signal, which was the start of our block. It had come via the Princes End branch. There was no way that New St could set a route to get him out so they called us to see if we could help release him. It's amazing what you can do with pressing the Registry Relays on the old Westronic F1. Engine released, crew happy.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quite a number of Midland Tar Distillers tanks were moved around the Black Country from gas works. I don't know what the exact workings were but I suspect they were tripped to Bordesley, as I saw some full train loads going north through Snow Hill heading towards Oldbury. Paul Bartlett's site has some photos but site is under maintenance at the moment.

We have one of their wagons in the fleet, might need a few more then!

post-6677-0-91248200-1404200529_thumb.jpg

(just straight out of the box Hornby, except for wheels and couplings)

• Like 1

Bachmann did an earlier 14T for Warley show but they are offered at silly money. POW Sides did a transfer for about £3 so a rattle can and some S/H wagons would look a better option. 

A problem being that the MTD fleet appears to have gone largely unrecorded - even Tourret has little on them. The main batch we did record by measuring were anchor mounted, and as already mentioned, there is no sign of a model of these in 4mm. Unfortunately, like all tank wagons, there was considerable variation in each of the designs of anchor mounted wagons.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree about the lack of pictures of MTD tanks. Considering they were a daily sight at Snow Hill I'm struggling to find a shot of one in traffic. Similarly with ACC although I saw them on an almost daily basis the only photo I've seen in traffic is Paul's that is linked above in post 528.

• 2 weeks later...

An acquaintance suggests, as a basis for research, the most likely "suspects" for supply of tank wagons in the 1960s were :-

Powell Duffryn, possibly through subsidiary Cambrian Wagon .... history at http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/powell-duffryn-plc-history/

Marcroft Wagons of Swansea  .... http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im1955ICSW-Marcroft.jpg

Standard Wagon  ... http://www.tymawrpublications.co.uk/BooksWagon.html

W H Davis ... of Langwith, Mansfield.... still in business ... http://www.whdavis.co.uk/

searching for "BR Tar wagons" threw up ...  stock list at Northampton & Lamport Rly

Ex Private Owner (PO) Wagons

Didcot Museum have a 1898 ex GWR, Chas. Roberts Tar wagon listed ...  http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/wagons.html 

Llanelli and Mynydd Mawr Railway 

list three tar wagons in their stock

Birmingham Library has a file ref.  MS 1179  .... Midland Tar Distillers 1941 -1958   (sadly, no pictures)

An acquaintance suggests, as a basis for research, the most likely "suspects" for supply of tank wagons in the 1960s were :-

Powell Duffryn, possibly through subsidiary Cambrian Wagon .... history at http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/powell-duffryn-plc-history/

Marcroft Wagons of Swansea  .... http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im1955ICSW-Marcroft.jpg

Standard Wagon  ... http://www.tymawrpublications.co.uk/BooksWagon.html

W H Davis ... of Langwith, Mansfield.... still in business ... http://www.whdavis.co.uk/

searching for "BR Tar wagons" threw up ...  stock list at Northampton & Lamport Rly

Ex Private Owner (PO) Wagons

Didcot Museum have a 1898 ex GWR, Chas. Roberts Tar wagon listed ...  http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/wagons.html 

Llanelli and Mynydd Mawr Railway 

list three tar wagons in their stock

Birmingham Library has a file ref.  MS 1179  .... Midland Tar Distillers 1941 -1958   (sadly, no pictures)

I don't think Marcrofts built wagons in those days, merely repaired them. 

Tank wagon builders that come to mind include Hurst-Nelson, Gloucester Carriage and Wagon (who certainly built pressurised-gas wagons during the period in question), South Staffs at Tipton. 

A quick follow-up to Fat controller's post:_

NRM have a file of Hurst Nelson drawings ....  (I assume at York)

ALS3/102/A/7/1 Hurst Nelson & Co, Lon Official album 

of wagons built, including for 
export, No 37, c 1939-1941

Gloucester Carriage and Wagon
includes Photo Albums as part of production records

Archive held at :-
Clarence Row
Alvin Street
Gloucester
GL1 3DW
England

Lists this reference (article or drawing or picture???)
NCB 20 ton TAR TANK MRN Oct-90 NCB48374 Lagged & fitted with steam coils

The address given by Don is the Gloucestershire archives, just round the corner from the station. I've dealt with them in the day job and found them very helpful. They have a lot of GLoucester RCW material.

Jonathan - a quick search of the National Register of Archives, the best place for locating corporate records in the UK - suggests the Staffordshire archives in Stoke on Trent would be a good place to start. Since I'm searching on the phone,scrolling through the search results isn't too straightforward so I can't be sure they hold things like drawings. They certainly have the business records however.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...