Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

The sound chip for my Western arrived today, but for now I'm focusing on finishing off a few more wagons.  May also have a need for another Class 25, as I may have a special duty planned for our boiler fitted 25038.  I have a TTGFYE bodyshell which might end up as 25102.

Firstly the Presflos, here are my four, awaiting an attack of weathering.  Two coupling converters, one tail lamp carrier and one mid-rake three-linker, just to make up the numbers.

post-6677-0-42916000-1409170422_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-48915000-1409170426_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, the last (hopefully) of the Twin Bolstsers is nearing completion (sorry - really bad photo)

post-6677-0-09959100-1409170429_thumb.jpg

and I've made some more progress on the first (hopefully) of the Bolster Es (slightly better photo)

post-6677-0-61875100-1409170431_thumb.jpg

Spent last night adding lettering/numbering to various wagons (or as SWMBO describes it "putting the stickers on").  Also remembered the Catfish is missing the handbrake wheel and spotted a missing step on the Tunny:

post-6677-0-88985300-1409170434_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-05932900-1409170438_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The sound chip for my Western arrived today, but for now I'm focusing on finishing off a few more wagons.  May also have a need for another Class 25, as I may have a special duty planned for our boiler fitted 25038.  I have a TTGFYE bodyshell which might end up as 25102.

Firstly the Presflos, here are my four, awaiting an attack of weathering.  Two coupling converters, one tail lamp carrier and one mid-rake three-linker, just to make up the numbers.

attachicon.gifDSCF3664.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3665.JPG

Meanwhile, the last (hopefully) of the Twin Bolstsers is nearing completion (sorry - really bad photo)

attachicon.gifDSCF3667.JPG

and I've made some more progress on the first (hopefully) of the Bolster Es (slightly better photo)

attachicon.gifDSCF3668.JPG

Spent last night adding lettering/numbering to various wagons (or as SWMBO describes it "putting the stickers on").  Also remembered the Catfish is missing the handbrake wheel and spotted a missing step on the Tunny:

attachicon.gifDSCF3669.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3670.JPG

Nice wagons Mark, very natural.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's nice to see that SWMBO is paying any attention at all.

Andy

To be fair, I think the conversation went something like "next time you are putting stickers on your trains don't leave little bits of paper all over the living room floor"

Backing paper off waterslide transfers gets everywhere!

• RMweb Premium

Use a square post with a turned, round end to fit in a hidden round hole.

Unfortunately there are 8 holes in each bolster (I think) and only 2 of them have a stanchion in them.

As usual, this forum (more specifically Adam's workbench thread) has the answer:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37002-adams-em-workbench-something-to-put-on-a-conflat/?p=942352

• RMweb Gold

If you painted the unused holes as squares, who would notice ( or could see) as the train trundles past or sits in the exchange sidings ?

Or, use an inverted U channel section of plastic strip, drill the holes, then open then up with a square needle file.

Edited by Stubby47

Unfortunately there are 8 holes in each bolster (I think) and only 2 of them have a stanchion in them.

As usual, this forum (more specifically Adam's workbench thread) has the answer:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37002-adams-em-workbench-something-to-put-on-a-conflat/?p=942352

Thanks for that Mark, but note the text beneath the picture!:

"What I should have done was to make the bolster tops from a laminate. First a layer of 40 thou, marked out and drilled at the appropriate centres, then apply a 20 thou' layer over the top from strip; two strips down either side, short lengths in the middle to match the holes. Fiddly? Yep, but it would look better. The 'deluxe' version, of course, would be to do the top in two layer of 10 thou' so that the metal 'socket' that exists on the real thing could be represented. In 4mm, life is far to short. Might be worth a go in 7mm though."

This may be why I haven't so much as thought of doing another bolster since...

Adam

Edited by Adam

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Mark, but note the text beneath the picture!:

"What I should have done was to make the bolster tops from a laminate. First a layer of 40 thou, marked out and drilled at the appropriate centres, then apply a 20 thou' layer over the top from strip; two strips down either side, short lengths in the middle to match the holes. Fiddly? Yep, but it would look better. The 'deluxe' version, of course, would be to do the top in two layer of 10 thou' so that the metal 'socket' that exists on the real thing could be represented. In 4mm, life is far to short. Might be worth a go in 7mm though."

This may be why I haven't so much as thought of doing another bolster since...

Adam

Agreed, if starting from scratch that'd be a much better way to do it.  Trouble is, here I'm trying to save a bit of time by using the Lima bolsters - although whether I'm actually going to save much time in the long run remains to be seen!

• RMweb Premium

If you painted the unused holes as squares, who would notice ( or could see) as the train trundles past or sits in the exchange sidings ?

Perish the thought.  Next you'll be reminding me that for at least 50% of the time they spend on the layout the holes will be entirely hidden by the billet loads

You'll have us believing next that those oval holes at the top of the toilet pans, aren't really holes but just an optical illusion