RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

...For the middle class, or aspiring: JPS yes!, marketing link-up with Formula 1 and Ford Capri's....
Well that's the ciggies sorted out. Our office manager has his own "executive toilet" (not a STUBSPORTABOGtm) so is very much an aspirer. Perhaps the BCB motor mechanics can give him a Ford Capri in black with gold lining and wheel hubs, which can then be parked in front of the Oldbury Road building. I will also chuck in a copy of the Grauniad for his reading pleasure....

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1

What, no Malboro ?

Unlikely, I think the aspiring manager would be on Benson's (B&H, as quoted by 28XX a nice gold pack), or maybe Rothman's, (Royal blue and white).

No.6 (two blue vertical stripes?) and Embassy (red vertical stripe & white) were the most popular filters.

My old dad was driving one of those ugly FG's (a dark green heap) at the time and he always had a packet of Senior's on the dashboard (Senior Service - white pack, dark blue crest), and another similar brand Players (white pack - dark blue horizontal band with little round emblem). The grafters always used Park Drive (P.D's - white with red letters) and Woodies (Woodbines - pale green with brown detailing?).

Edit: And I agree Fags is really cultural stuff !!

Then again, your manager might have been a pipe man?

By the way, I love the building!

• Like 4

Well that's the ciggies sorted out. Our office manager has his own "executive toilet" (not a STUBSPORTABOGtm) so is very much an aspirer. Perhaps the BCB motor mechanics can give him a Ford Capri in black with gold lining and wheel hubs, which can then be parked in front of the Oldbury Road building. I will also chuck in a copy of the Grauniad for his reading pleasure....

iD

The MkII JPS Capri came out in March '75 in either white(rare) or black(common), so it would be very, very new on this layout.

• Like 1

The MkII JPS Capri came out in March '75 in either white(rare) or black(common), so it would be very, very new on this layout.
I think that the BCB lads may forgive a tiny anachronism (IIRC the layout is set in the "mid-70s", so not a huge one).

iD

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Unlikely, I think the aspiring manager would be on Benson's (B&H, as quoted by 28XX a nice gold pack), or maybe Rothman's, (Royal blue and white).

No.6 (turquoise?) and Embassy (50/50 red & white) were the most popular filters. My old dad was driving one of those ugly FG's (a dark green heap) at the time and he always had a packet of Senior's on the dashboard (Senior Service - white pack, dark blue crest), and another similar brand Players (white pack - dark blue horizontal band with little round emblem). The grafters always used Park Drive (P.D's - red & white pack).

Then again, your manager might have been a pipe man?

By the way, I love the building!

Spot on there I reckon - Marlboro' weren't at all in the popularity league back in the '70s, much more a late 1980s/'90s brand in Britain. I recollect that No.6 came in two different packet basic colours - greenish for tipped and brown for untipped (although the latter were rare and didn't last in the market having failed to outdo Woodies and Park Drive).

In addition to Seniors and Players a few of the real men smoked Capstan Full Strength - definitely the one for those in a heavy or outdoor job, one of the PWay Inspectors at Reading used to get through 40 a day of them (he dropped dead as he opened the office door to leave for home on the day he retired, probably no connection?). But roll-ups were very popular with many working men back then - they had the advantage that if you weren't actually smoking one you could put it down and it wouldn't go out whereas the factory made cigs just carried on burning away your money. Different world back then so don't forget smoke stained windows in the mess rooms or whatever.

And me - I gave up the weed 14 years ago yesterday so haven't got a clue about cigs nowadays.

• Like 2

I think that the BCB lads may forgive a tiny anachronism (IIRC the layout is set in the "mid-70s", so not a huge one).

iD

The Corgi MkIII can be easily backdated to a MkII by filing back the bonnet above the headlights and removing the bumper side extensions.

This car changed the whole look of Britain's roads. Part of its (now rather quaint) Wow! factor was the eggshell finish black bumpers. Ford realized these were cheaper to make and suddenly almost all their models had them fitted. BL and Vauxhall followed suit and the chrome bumper vanished for 20 years.

1970's cigarette packets - somewhat easier to find than pin up calendars (at least for me).

No. 6 Extra Mild and the brown pack versions referred to by The Stationmaster:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sludgeulper/4619824738/in/photostream/

Guards as referred to by Old Dudders:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sludgeulper/4619820500/in/photostream/

and Park Drive - apparently the brand of choice in the West Midlands:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sludgeulper/4619207999/in/photostream/

Although I'm not and never have been a smoker, I did work in a newsagents in the early 1980's and I can still vividly remember the regulars who came in asking for some of these less mainstream brands.

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

1970's cigarette packets - somewhat easier to find than pin up calendars (at least for me).

Andy

Smashing Flickr site Andy - some good railway pics on it too. Regrettably for historians I have some time since disposed of the part collection of cigarette packets and tobacco tins that finished up in my ownership although some other tobacco related stuff is still taking up space.

• RMweb Premium

Nah, the light is no good there until the evenings; this was the East lawn.

Yes, it is the Wills sheet that came with the kit. Cut to size, edges filed to thin them down a bit then a quick blast with some grey primer. I'm quite happy with the way it turned out and think using anything else would just create extra work so will probably stick with this.

I only asked because it looked good.... couldn't imagine how a brass roof would work

Geoff will start laying track over it immenently and probably grummbling its not as flat s he would like. Either way. I need to crack on with that skew bridge - he's on my tail....

Since it doesnt come with a track bed, I can't have a moan other than at myself of course

It does need to be shaped though because the track is going from level to 1:100 gradient starting at the board join, and hopefully fitting without any twisting

post-2242-0-85868800-1355748838_thumb.jpg

post-2242-0-72888100-1355748871_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

couldn't imagine how a brass roof would work

In my hands, it probably wouldn't!

As a rule, I'm not a big fan of the Wills sheets (in most applications they are too small and too thick IMHO). The roof on the toilet is etched brass and I think you can get away with it in such a small area, but on the larger expanse on the roof I think it would look odd and lack relief. The ridge tiles (not fitted yet) are a folded strip of brass, but I don't like them as they lack the slight overlap so need to look at alternatives.

• RMweb Premium

all I'm pointing out that the Base Toys version differs in shape, detail and proportion to any of them. It's probably closest to the heavyweight version - based on the heft of the bumper - but even then has the fundamental errors already noted. The point is that it's a rubbish starting point for a 4mm model of any of the different types of Ford D. It's up to the individual as to whether it can be lived with: my perspective is clear enough!

Must confess I wasn't aware of the errors on the Base Toys Ford D, I'd just never looked that closely before. However, with the limited time and budget of the project, some compromises are inevitable. I think Paul's making a great job of the dodgy raw materials I sent him!.

I have noticed that actual critique has all but dissapeared on RMweb these days but its oh so useful.

Hadn't really thought about it, but I think you're right - it is very useful and it does seem rare these days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

What size are the tiles on the Wills sheet. I've got to cover the roof on Charlie's Cabin. I was looking to use scribed and layered sheet as I wanted to reproduce the slipped tiles at the bottom. The cabin had 15 1/2 tiles per row, and I think 11 rows high each side. On the model that will be about 42mm by 23mm.

For the ridge I am using folded styrene strip with microstrip across it at about 6mm intervals to make the overlaps.

Eric

• RMweb Premium

What size are the tiles on the Wills sheet. I've got to cover the roof on Charlie's Cabin. I was looking to use scribed and layered sheet as I wanted to reproduce the slipped tiles at the bottom. The cabin had 15 1/2 tiles per row, and I think 11 rows high each side. On the model that will be about 42mm by 23mm.

The tiles are approx 3mm wide (with approx 0.5mm gap between each), with just under 2mm visible height of each row. 42mm x 23mm works out to by about 12 1/2 tiles wide by just over 10 rows high, so it's not a massive compromise. (PM me your address if you want me to pop a sheet of the Wills in the post for you to have a look at).

For the ridge I am using folded styrene strip with microstrip across it at about 6mm intervals to make the overlaps.

Was thinking I'd do something similar too. Did wonder if there might be some suitable L section in the Evergreen or Plastruct ranges which might save having to fold it - but that's just me being lazy.

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry Jim, the BCB team are always (usefully) critical about each other's work. This ranges from a "have you thought about..." through to "that's cr&p...". Mind you, we've known each other for a good 20+ years and hopefully know by now what we can say and how it will be taken.

I can't believe you have said that !! off for a sulk !

A

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The tiles are approx 3mm wide (with approx 0.5mm gap between each), with just under 2mm visible height of each row. 42mm x 23mm works out to by about 12 1/2 tiles wide by just over 10 rows high, so it's not a massive compromise. (PM me your address if you want me to pop a sheet of the Wills in the post for you to have a look at).

Was thinking I'd do something similar too. Did wonder if there might be some suitable L section in the Evergreen or Plastruct ranges which might save having to fold it - but that's just me being lazy.

I have some ridge tiles in the wills set of gutters, chimneys etc

let me know if yo are intrested and I will measure

A

• RMweb Gold

The little HA is looking good now, it still needs glazing and the wipers fitting. I wanted to base it on this one but it is way too late.

post-7104-0-33220300-1355784212.jpg

post-7104-0-92163800-1355784218.jpg

post-7104-0-60066000-1355784225.jpg

I've started painting the Leyland, I'm not sure about the central grey section, I may paint it red in the end but it may look better when the grille is highlighted black.

post-7104-0-01482300-1355784231.jpg

• Like 5