RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

The CA is privately owned then, as the owner has replaced his number plates with modern white / yellow background types, even tho' he didn't need to.  Quite a fad at the time, if you wanted to give the impression your ride was newer that it actually was.

• RMweb Gold

The CA is privately owned then, as the owner has replaced his number plates with modern white / yellow background types, even tho' he didn't need to.  Quite a fad at the time, if you wanted to give the impression your ride was newer that it actually was.

It was registered at the start of the 'Optional' period starting in 1968 so it could have been a good salesman or as you say an upgrading later. Proof of the rear plate here.

Yes, a clean up, repaint and some wheels would sort it, don't have an ebay account but if one of the team wants to go for it I'll give it a rebuild.

Edited by Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

Well I wasn't going to post again this year but a chance discovery of this photo of a Bedford CA van taken from episode 1 of series 1 of The Sweeney got me thinking that I had an appropriate van (in Royal Mail livery) somewhere, it was duly found and a few hours and it has been transformed.

Don't forget the sound chip for the rattly front bumper, seemed to be standard issue on all CA's.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

And the nearside sliding door that falls open/ off, depending on the severity of the left-hand bend- my dad's one deposited a passenger on the roadside at least once.

Must have been related to my 1959 VW beetle, deposited a mate on a roundabout in Rotherham!

Mike.

Don't forget the sound chip for the rattly front bumper, seemed to be standard issue on all CA's.Mike.

If you carry out that mod don't forget to motorise the ends of the bumpers so that they waggle about as well (independently not together)

Wally

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Given that this is a railway over railway bridge, would any of the mortar still be a light colour ?

I'd have thought the years of soot swirling around the brickwork would have left everything almost black.

A good point well made.

Both the examples I based the dimensions on (both in Heath Town) had some colour difference in the mortar to the brick.  Years of acid rain reracting with the lime in the mortar probably.

One of the problems is the various makes of plasticards feature too wider mortar line in comparison to the dimensions of the brick.  It will need to be dirtier and it will get a further wash of something dirty when dressing the layout.

I would have done this but as we are always rushing to a deadline I had to deliver it and further washes before the dry brushing had cured would have made a mess.

Andy 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The bridges you measured have had 40+ years of rain post the end of steam, the bridge as modelled has had maybe only 10 ?

However, as you've said, the practicalities of making the model to a deadline takes priority.

It looks fantastic, BTW.

• RMweb Premium

The bridges you measured have had 40+ years of rain post the end of steam, the bridge as modelled has had maybe only 10 ?

However, as you've said, the practicalities of making the model to a deadline takes priority.

It looks fantastic, BTW.

sorry, that was the point i was tryingg to make - I was agreeing with you

Andy

• RMweb Premium

For the brakes I've settled on part number "BLVGI" from the 51L Range at Wizard Models for the levers (although these are still slightly too long and need to be trimmed down a little) and a fret from EMGS for the vees.  Still need to resolve the fulcrum frames for behind the levers; but thinking either some 2mm scale brass ladder or bending/soldering something from brass rod.

The pivot plates for the AJs are from Palatine Models (I went for those without the baseplates).

Difficult one regarding whether we semi-permanently couple them in pairs or individually.  Individually gives most operating potential, but in pairs is possibly quicker/easier.  Really depends on the length of the industrial fiddle yard and the haulage (and stopping) power of the industrial loco.

BLGVI maybe ?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Stubby47, on 02 Jan 2013 - 11:52, said:snapback.png

Indomitable026, on 02 Jan 2013 - 13:32, said:snapback.png

Hold on to those thoughts...

Wouldn't you need a smell chip for one of those? ;)

Only if they were fried in beef dripping. :wub:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know it's a bit late now and as you say there is a deadline but I found with the SE finecast brick if you sand it down a bit to remove the moulded doming it does improve it a lot, I did this on my Signal cabin for Felton Lane. See here.

Thanks for that, I will give it a try.... 

I have just looked at the link and that is a massive improvement.

Andy 

• RMweb Premium

I know it's a bit late now and as you say there is a deadline but I found with the SE finecast brick if you sand it down a bit to remove the moulded doming it does improve it a lot, I did this on my Signal cabin for Felton Lane. See here.

Yes, I've been doing this on the retaining walls etc currently under construction.