Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

The bottle and glass pub is superb. I love the look on the bar staffs face when someone asks for a lager. They just stare at each other and ask what's a lager.

Rightly so, not in keeping, Lager was introduced, to this country in great quantity by the bigger brewers, in the 1950's as a drink for the ladies as at the time more of them were visiting pubs instead of staying at home. Just a few decades after what the BCM is supposed to represent :sungum: .

amazing stuff, just look at that detail. Lots of things that are still there today that I thought would be big enough to see are just lost in a mush of buildings and trees. I will draw a triangle on a map and from BB to w'ton and the clent hills then suggest things that we might have been able to see then. Then we can decide if they could have been seen.

Having removed the tower blocks to set a date of 1965 for the panorama I've been playing with re-instating some industry and clagging the area. The eagle eyed may spot the add-ins so far, Ocker Hill Power Station, Bilston and Spring Vale steelworks and a couple of other general bits.

BBpanorama1965.jpg

Click for large version.

• Like 5

I think you will need to add a few things into the foreground to avoid the looking down affect, been as the main part of the scene is taken from high ground.. The ideal shot would be from a low level, but the area is so built up, it would be impossible to do this without just capturing the scene in the immediate area.

Gary

• RMweb Premium

It's a JNV, innit..?

Close, the first couple I'm doing as BEVs in original condition, to serve alongside the bolster Cs and Ds working to and from our exchange sidings. Definitely considering the coil carriers as a later project; although I am also keeping an eye on Dapol for these. That said the Cambrian Turbot kits I've used here (done two so far) went together very nicely.

• RMweb Premium

You could photograph a dense section of winter trees to form a forground that has no scale (if that makes sense). You could drop in these wooded areas wherever you need to hide an object or just chear up a dull bit.

• Like 1

You could photograph a dense section of winter trees to form a forground that has no scale (if that makes sense). You could drop in these wooded areas wherever you need to hide an object or just chear up a dull bit.

The effect would be great....

m6f288n9lS6f9hjReIjcVMg.jpg

• Like 1

After having looked again, at the 'backscene mark 2' one thing that might apply to 1965, less trees especially in the middle distance, and more open waste ground, but the inclusion of Ocker Hill power station, and Stewarts & Lloyds is excellent. One of my aunts lived just south of Wednesbury, between there, and Ocker Hill, and I can vividly remember visiting her on many occasions in the early/ mid 1960's ( and watching trains on the exGW mainline opposite Patent Shaft, by the exchange sidings), before the vast housing, and small industrial developments, most of the vast area between the Patent Shaft Works, and Ocker Hill was wasteland where coal mines once stood.

• Like 1

Good work Andy, but I'd be inclined that Spring Vale be a little higher up and nearer the horizon.

From a railwayman's point of view where Bescot / Walsall is at the "bottom" and Dudley is at the "top" of an imaginary "height measuring pole", I believe Spring Vale would be near the top. I base this on the fact that Dudley railway station yard was a little above Sedgeley Jn, but Sedgeley Jn to Dudley Port High Level was a slight climb. Dudley Port and Spring Vale were both on the Stour Valley line so are very roughly on the same level.

To get to both Spring Vale and Dudley meant a climb to Wednesbury, then a further climb via the P&O to Spring Vale, and a climb via Great Bridge and Dudley Port LL to get to Dudley.

Of course, I might be mistaking what I think is Spring Vale for somewhere else.

EDIT Bear in mind also that you are passing Ocker Hill power staion on the P&O on the way to Bloomfield and Spring Vale.

Edited by Phil
  • Like 3

Good job all these bits will be movable in a .psd file. :)

Part of the general issue in positioning is that I'm placing some content where it would be in a viewpoint from Barr Beacon whilst simulating a view from a line somewhere in between the Stour Valley and the Tame Valley so it's going to be difficult to be absolute. Therefore the works shown about 2/3rds of the way from left to right being this side of Wednesbury is somewhere around Stewarts & Lloyd. I'm still on the hunt for shots that can be blended in. The works just mentioned was a section of a U.S. image.

• Like 1

Good job all these bits will be movable in a .psd file. :)

Part of the general issue in positioning is that I'm placing some content where it would be in a viewpoint from Barr Beacon whilst simulating a view from a line somewhere in between the Stour Valley and the Tame Valley so it's going to be difficult to be absolute. Therefore the works shown about 2/3rds of the way from left to right being this side of Wednesbury is somewhere around Stewarts & Lloyd. I'm still on the hunt for shots that can be blended in. The works just mentioned was a section of a U.S. image.

Thats fine Andy. I had wondered whether the power station by it was Ocker Hill or Birchills, and guess it is the latter. It really is a good job and you are working well.

Good to see mention of 'Mad' O ROurke's chain, even if at its peak it did spread ouf of the black country. As a student \at Wolverhampton Poly in the (very) late 70s - early 80s, I had a weekly Wednesday afternoon in Dudleyand used to catch the bus over there, and usually spend the evening frinking there, or in Gornal, or other points on the wsay back. I got to know of this chain back then, but it aasn't until a few years later that I completedthe set - not in a day as suggested but over a year.

The deal y then was that they flogged a souvenir in each pub, which you bought when you got your card stamped (in my year it was a beer mat - not the absorbent cardboard type, but a solid, cork based thing, with a picture of the pub) and when the card was complete you could sent if off for that year's decent gift - in this case a framed and mounted print of the artwork from the mats - pictures of allt he chain of pubs. I still have them at home somewhere.

I only had the cow pie twice on that tour - there was enough other good filling food that I actually preferred to it on the menu, and it didn't seem as large as it had done in my student days. I wsa mainly a mild drinker then, but the chjain was one place where I used to try other beers - encouraged byt he daft names.

Thinking moddeling, would there be trroom to fit on one of their pubs - typically run down failing pubs in poor areas, cheaply decorated up, and tarted up with a lot of tat to fit a theme?

• Like 1

Mad' O Rourke, sold up to one of the big pub chains, and they didn't “get itâ€, if you can understand where I am coming from. Most of the pubs were sold on, but the Pie Factory (the Dowty Arms to give it its old name) still remains.

About 4 years ago, there was and attempt to revive the chain by the opening of two new MoR pubs. The Vine in Wordsley and the Bull in Gornal. At first these two pubs were full every night, but after a year of trading, things started to go wrong. The Vine at Wordsley is the third nearest pub to where I live and that is only a few hundred yards away, after this had been open for 14 months, you could go into the bar on a Saturday night to find that you were on your own. This one, is just about to reopen as a “suppa chippyâ€.

Oh one of the originals that is good and is still going, complete with those light snacks called cow pies, is the Pack Horse, in Bewdley.

Gary

When it first opened, I took a young lady to dinner there, well I was in the mood for splashing out. We where in the place for a minutes, when I found out she was a vegetarian!, the inertia is modelled on an abattoir. A conversation with the bar staff and the girl had an “allotment pie†to eat.

Didn't see much of her for some time after that!

Gary

• Like 7

Hi Paul,

Ned's still around; I exchanged a couple of emails with him earlier this year but yes; it's worth re-visiting some of his books.

Actually Andy, I was going to suggest you add a bibliography thread to this BCB project.

I'll happily list all the books I have collected with photo material relating to Black Country railways, but that would of course suppose that Walsall is really in the Black Country for the purposes of this topic !!

I believe Ned Williams was at the Warley show last November working on a stand

Actually Andy, I was going to suggest you add a bibliography thread to this BCB project.

Thanks Phil; the team have been drawing one up as part of the resource list which I think would be worth posting.