Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

There's also the Domesday Reloaded project (the old BBC videodisc thing) that may be of use - http://www.bbc.co.uk...B-388000-285000

And Black Country History - the photographic collection - http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/search/?cb_ipp=50&cb_img_only=1&q=Oldbury%2C+Rowley+Regis%2C+Smethwick%2C+Tipton%2C+Wednesbury%2C+West+Bromwich&cb_submit=Search&cb_page=1

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just to explain the Littleton connection is my fault as I wondered whether the 'box was of about the right size to suit our situation and (aware of the need to protect the sidings in some way when approached from the industrial line) I suggested a signal like the one which once existed to the east of the Wolverhampton road in Penkridge where the Littleton colliery line approached the exchange sidings.

Any resemblance of the track layout to Littleton is purely coincidental - it was actually inspired by Trentham Junction; not LNWR but generic enough to suit our purposes.

The fact that the viaduct also takes further inspiration from Penkridge is a further coincidence!

Hope that clarifies - there will be no further mention of Littleton ;-)

• Like 1

Fascinating stuff, did some of my 'courting' on Barr Beacon (1970-ish) :sungum: , but never took much notice of the view. I can remember a few times driving/riding the m/c along the A461 from Sandhills over the traffic lights on the Chester Road, and down the hill into Walsall Wood in the 1950's & 1960's, on a good day you could easily pick out Ocker Bonk, but most days was just a big grey shroud over the whole area. In 1974 a good friend moved into a big block of flats on the Yew Tree estate ( about ten floors up) with a good view over our old 'stomping ground', I can asure 'Coobe Barton' there were very few, if any coal mines left by then, infact the nearest working one (just still working) was Hilton Main ( where my step-father once worked).

Edited by bike2steam

... I can asure 'Coobe Barton' there were very few, if any coal mines left by then, infact the nearest working one (just still working) was Hilton Main ( where my step-father once worked).

They weren't working, I know, but some remains were still around.

• RMweb Gold

The only comment I have is that the garage doesn't seem long enough

Yep...really needs a Tardis to cope with it.

Agreed on the carpentry skills...I take my hat off to all those who produce quality craftpersonship like that...:yes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cellar?

We live in a modern house....

I was setting the scene that Indomitable Towers, with it's wood working annex and layout building wing, was a sight to behold. Wine attic or wine rack doesn't sound as good.

PS, just found out the house wireless works the laptop on the patio.

PPS, and that you can have a beer whilst sitting outside and surfing RMweb on a big screen and proper keyboard

PPPS, you still on for Friday eve / Sat??

I was setting the scene that Indomitable Towers, with it's wood working annex and layout building wing, was a sight to behold. Wine attic or wine rack doesn't sound as good.

PS, just found out the house wireless works the laptop on the patio.

PPS, and that you can have a beer whilst sitting outside and surfing RMweb on a big screen and proper keyboard

PPPS, you still on for Friday eve / Sat??

Yes and yes yes

Er..., I'm not going to fall for that one!

What thoughts on lighting rig for this one, Damian? Try something new or tried and tested?

Best, Pete.

You thinking stage lighting from one of your gigs?

• RMweb Premium

Posted elsewhere (but I'm adding it here so I don't lose the link); looks like I've found our Western for the clayliner.

Running alongside TOPS numbered locos and after the route indicators ceased to be used = perfect

If she's running with her number in the blind box this is D 1048 Western lady.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

While I continue making steady progress with the Plate wagons, as usual I have a few other projects on the go at the same time. Some of these are wagons I started some time ago others are more recent. First up, a few more mineral wagons:

post-6677-0-58860200-1340656239.jpg

post-6677-0-43260900-1340656264.jpg

post-6677-0-33953700-1340656289.jpg

I made a start on a couple of these at the weekend - can you tell what it is yet (rather what it is going to be)?

<apologies for the poor photo>

post-6677-0-81574500-1340656398.jpg

• RMweb Premium

How about setting a rotating "Mirror Ball" on Johnny Gringo's head (he may not notice) and then maybe six "SuperTroopers" attached to his braces?

Best, Pete.

Sounds like a cunning plan Pete!

Where I werk, and have werked for 33 years!, there was a tradition amongst foundry men, of drinking beer on the job. Being the youngest in the foundry it was my job every morning, and just before dinner time, to go to the pub and fetch the ale allowance. I had a few hundred yards to walk with a sack trolley, and if the pub landlord was in a good mood, he would give me a half.

The beer would be paid for on account, and once back at the foundry, the leading hand (head furnace man) would distribute the ale.

The foundry is still going, but times have changed, no beer now, but the pub also lives on, as the Bottle and Glass in the Black Country museum.

Gary

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The bottle and glass pub is superb. I love the look on the bar staffs face when someone asks for a lager. They just stare at each other and ask what's a lager.

The cheese and onion cobs are great, of a bit pricey.

• Like 1

Following the discussion of Davenports, earlier in the thread, you may be interested to know that the stables for the dray horses were the premises just vacated by Grainge and Hodder, the company who do an lot of metal etching for the model trade.

Geoff