Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

I know the plasters skrim well and have used it for its intended purpose in the past, the older it gets, the less sticky it gets.

A

I'm just using up leftovers! A big chunk of the foil-backed Celotex foam was also building leftovers and I've since rescued some more (with asking) from a local skip. The foamboard I'm using is also on it's second use after being finished as display boards for work. It may be a magazine layout but we're still doing our bit for recycling...

Had a few works outings to the Pie Factory. Still have a certificate somewhere to prove not only did I finish a Desperate Dan pie but also a Pud.

Of course, I also have the gut as a souvenir as well.

PS anyone remember the Christmas pies? A complete Turkey dinner in a pie, sprouts, turkey, stuffing, potatoes, chipolatas, the lot. Very nice it was too.

If you are after a “desperate dan” pie, the Pack Horse” in Bewdley still serve them http://www.littlepackhorse.co.uk/?page=show_menu.php&menu_id=3

Gary

• Like 2

Forgot - what is the difference between a buffalo and a bison? You can wash your hands in a bison in the black country!

PS As well as a railway enthusiast I also happen to be the historian for the "arriers" and proud Life Member.

Actually the joke as told by my uncle is:

wots the diffrence (sic) between a Buffalo 'n a Bison - yo cor wosh yer onds in a Buffalo :mosking:

• Like 2

Every time we were driven past the Marsh & Baxters factory (is factory the correct word) my father would announce that they used every part of the pig except its squeal.

Tony

I really miss those tomato sausages as well as the Palethorpes ones from Tipton (remember the Hornby Dublo Palethorpes wagon?)

Terry

Ayli an' 'is missus gorroff the Dudley Buz and as they was a gooin down the rowd Ayli noticed all the other men was starin at 'is missus. When he looked at 'er 'e saw why,

"Hey missus yower t**ts 'angin owt"

"Bluddy 'ell, Arve left the babby on the buz"

Edited by ElTesha
  • Like 5

Forgot to mention a PUB!

Another essential ingredient of Black country life! Must be a Bonk's house though!

you know the sort I mean, fight a night places!

Cheers!

Frank

I actually don't agree with the Banks' reference. It is a Wolverhampton brewery and there is some debate as to whether Wolverhampton is actually in the Black Country (South Wolves perhaps). So a better Pub would be a Hansons or Bathams (Bull and Bladder or the Little Lamp - tek yer pick). Besides, an' here is a heresy, Banks' ain't very good beer, it's all gravy brownin' an' caramel. Not a patch on the aforementioned Bathams etc. Pity about Dolly Pardoe, I used to love the White Swan on top o' Russells Hall that was a real pub.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Or Holden's from the brewery at the back of the Park Inn at Woodsetton. It's been in the family for 97 years, prior to the current rash of microbreweries it was one of the few family owned breweries left in the country. They are just about to increase production capacity from 50,000 to 75,000 pints per week.

• Like 1

I actually don't agree with the Banks' reference. It is a Wolverhampton brewery and there is some debate as to whether Wolverhampton is actually in the Black Country (South Wolves perhaps). So a better Pub would be a Hansons or Bathams (Bull and Bladder or the Little Lamp - tek yer pick). Besides, an' here is a heresy, Banks' ain't very good beer, it's all gravy brownin' an' caramel. Not a patch on the aforementioned Bathams etc. Pity about Dolly Pardoe, I used to love the White Swan on top o' Russells Hall that was a real pub.

Oyl av yow know that Wolvo is Black countray thank yaw very much.

We ay brummays thats for sure!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You will read in other threads that the pub has been agreed on and it is the 'The Eight Locks' at Ryders Green. It was picked for its proximity to the canal and fits the scene. It is a relativley straight forward pub, and fairly typical of black country pubs. It ceratinly is not a 'Landmark' pub like the crooked house, the pie factory, the bottle and Glass or the fountain at Tipton.

At the moment it is a free house and visibly a 'Baggies' pub, we need to establish if it was free in the 1970's.

I will not be drawn into wolverhamptons membership of the Black Country other than to say there are plenty of places today that you would consider to be the Black Country (Bilston, Willenhall, Heath Town, Ettingshall and others) that have a Wolverhampton adress.

Certainly Banks's brewery is and was a sucessful brewery in the region and it geographical coverage of pubs spreads right accross the black country. Since we are modelling a real pub I guess its brewery will be what ever it was !! (unless it is something completely in appropriate like Courage !! ).

So, do you know anything about the 8 locks at ryders green ? Pics, contacts, trivia.

Andy

• Like 4

Just another note. I must admit to being a bit confused about Wolverhampton's finst being called 'Bonks' beer. I was born in Princes End (the Tipton side) and lived there and in Coseley until I was 25 and have visited regularly in the intervening 40 years, often partaking of a pint or two in the Apple Tree, Roseville with friends and family. I have only ever heard the brew called by it's proper name of Banks. We had Pit Bonks, family at Ocker Bonk and even Sedgley Bonk, but always Banks' Beer.

Seriously though I also have very fond memories also of Bathams at the Little Lamp and down the Delph, Ma Pardoes at the White Swan (top of) Russells Hall where the homebrew was the colour of lager (sadly missed), Simkiss' at the Leopard, Kingswinford and the smell from Julia Hansons opposite top church in Dudley when they were mashing - it carried all the way to Dudley Grammar when the wind was right - lovely, plus many other locals in the area.

As they say - "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

Terry

Edited by ElTesha

• RMweb Gold

The second building is something altogether older and with an 'industrial heritage' feel

Lovely looking little building! I often look at such structures from the train window when travelling to/from Brum for meetings and think how good it would be to see them modelled, so well done!

Such is the generosity of the Forum that we've also received a fully finished hoss and cart and, if the navigator ever sobers up, a well-traveled Cortina.

Lot of bars to visit between Alabama and Blighty! ;) :lol:

• Like 1

Just watched the video and am very impressed with the progress. A great project, its nice being able to watch all the different steps of construction.

On the video there are some horizontal beams on top of the legs, before the baseboards are lifted on. Are they fixed onto the legs in any way? I have read through the baseboard thread but can only see them loaded in the trailer, but no mention of them.

How do you level the boards up if they are on an uneven floor. Will you have adjusters on them?

Guys

Was doing research up in Tipton Library & The Dudley Archives last week and came across this website link. May be of use.

http://distinctlyblackcountry.org.uk/

Also mentioned to Robert Hazel, the Tipton Librarian, about the project - very interested. Next year they are focusing on transport in the Black Country for there annual celebration local history day at Tipton Library which is normally held in September. Might be a chance to show the layout in its' home area! An opportunity to sample some local fare.

• Like 2

Taking advantage of Mrs iD's 2-Day Alpine Hike, not only did I make progress on the scratchbuilt Siphon (see thread) but also managed a "proof of concept" build of the Oldbury Road Building in Card. Pictures below.

post-123-0-40821300-1348412450.jpg post-123-0-94101200-1348412482.jpg

post-123-0-06903500-1348412496.jpg

It's quite a hefty beast, hanging over the sides my large cutting mat:

post-123-0-53769100-1348412556.jpg

Following the build, I have made notes on some tweaks to do on the production drawings and to add an extra window at door end and a door on the leean-to. When materials arrive, I'll start building the frame and cutting the shell.

The test build was pretty straightforward, with only the roof causing some concerns - although the internal dividers/roof supports in the production model should take care of that. I anticipate few problems withn the production build, but view the finishing (painting and weathering) as being critical in getting Oldbury Road to the standard I'm expecting from myself.

Comments? Suggestions?

F

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 8

Just watched the video and am very impressed with the progress. A great project, its nice being able to watch all the different steps of construction.

On the video there are some horizontal beams on top of the legs, before the baseboards are lifted on. Are they fixed onto the legs in any way? I have read through the baseboard thread but can only see them loaded in the trailer, but no mention of them.

How do you level the boards up if they are on an uneven floor. Will you have adjusters on them?

Good point, the arrangement is as follows

These are the legs off my 'Diesels in the Duchy' layout, this is how the BCB legs will end up with adjustable feet and the slots in the top to take the beams.

post-8734-0-64091200-1348415651.jpg

The beams will also have slots in, this allows the correct spacing of the legs.

The boards then sit on the beams thus;

post-8734-0-45106800-1348415708.jpg

Progress pictures to follow (once i've made some)

Todays progress is the installation of the baseboard fascias.

The first picture shows the fascia glued and clamped in place.

post-8734-0-02968700-1348423090.jpg

The second picture shows the fascia with clamps removed. The top of the board has been cut to follow the contours of the scenery - using the scenery as a guide.

post-8734-0-85227300-1348423179.jpg

It's quite a satisfying job this one, a sort of cleaning up the mess from the bloke before.....

• Like 2

Going back to high quality mapping, almost all UK university staff and students will have access to the University of Edinburgh's Digimap website via their institutional library. This gives full access to virtually all of the Ordnance Survey mapping products, including the highest resolution MasterMap used above, and usually HistoricDigimap too, with 1st edition OS maps.

http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/digimap/home#