Gaugemaster Combi causing burnouts?

Has anyone experienced problems with the Gaugemaster Combi?

I bought a new one yesterday and in a session lasting a couple of hours have had a Heljan and a Bachmann loco fail on me.

It's connected up correctly but I've taken it off line to take back to the shop - any comments would be welcome before I drop it back (the shop is about 30km away....)

• RMweb Premium

A few things to try. Do those locos work with your previous controller? If yes, then the locos are fine.

What power supply have you used for the Combi? Is it the one recommended by Gaugemaster (WM1) or something else?

Do you have a multimeter to make some tests on your transformer?

Kevin Martin

A few things to try. Do those locos work with your previous controller? If yes, then the locos are fine.

What power supply have you used for the Combi? Is it the one recommended by Gaugemaster (WM1) or something else?

Do you have a multimeter to make some tests on your transformer?

Kevin Martin

Thanks Kevin!

The locos don't work on my previous controller, the Heljan one has lights which no longer work so I'd say it is well and truly gone.

I used the power supply which came in the same box as the Gaugemaster Combi.

I'll have to see if I can borrow a meter to check the output of the controller....

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Kevin!

The locos don't work on my previous controller, the Heljan one has lights which no longer work so I'd say it is well and truly gone.

I used the power supply which came in the same box as the Gaugemaster Combi.

I'll have to see if I can borrow a meter to check the output of the controller....

So its this one?

http://www.gaugemaster.com/_upload/imgs/lrg/34408/WM1.jpg

Sounds all very worrying.

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Premium

It's the one below....

It is worrying - I've immediately stopped using it as it's costing a fortune in locos!

Unless it's an amazing coincidence which is why I posted here to see if anyone else has experienced problems with it.

Just to clarify, the label on it is similar to this? Pity the Gaugemaster site doesn't show the label, at least in a viewable format..

Brand: Gaugemaster Part Number: WM1 Scale / Type: N / HO / OO / Slot Cars

The same wall mounted transformer that powers our COMBI controller.

Input

Mains (240v AC)

Output

1x 16v AC or 12v DC at 1.1 amps.

Kevin Martin

I use three combo's on my layout and have not had problems with loco's being damaged

I do have one that overheats and cuts out with a couple of loco's - or did - - - now I've rewired the loco's with lower resistance wire where a previous owner had "repaired" them

I have used one for about 6 years. Nowadays, it is mainly used for the test track as required. However, in the past I used it on a pizza layout at exhibitions for a continuous 7 hours a day without problems.

Tony

Just to clarify, the label on it is similar to this? Pity the Gaugemaster site doesn't show the label, at least in a viewable format..

Brand: Gaugemaster Part Number: WM1 Scale / Type: N / HO / OO / Slot Cars

The same wall mounted transformer that powers our COMBI controller.

Input

Mains (240v AC)

Output

1x 16v AC or 12v DC at 1.1 amps.

Kevin Martin

There isn't a part number on the item or the box or the instructions, but it does say

Brand: Gaugemaster Part Number:

Scale / Type: N / HO / OO

Model "GM-Combi" single track controller

Wall mounted transformer. Input: 240v AC 50Hz Output: 18v AC 1 Amp plug-in adaptor

Combi Outputs: 0-12v DC controlled (nominal) up to 1amp and 18v AC (nominal) 50Hz up to 1 amp.

I have one which I use for testing and a rolling road.

I had a problem where old Anchoridge Motors would run for a couple of minutres and then die. I presumed it was the motors even changing a couple. Never thought to try them on another controller. On doing so they worked fine the controller had a fault not the motors. I sent it back to Gaugemaster who repaired it for free. They never said on return what the fault was. No problems since.

• RMweb Premium

There isn't a part number on the item or the box or the instructions, but it does say

Brand: Gaugemaster Part Number:

Scale / Type: N / HO / OO

Model "GM-Combi" single track controller

Wall mounted transformer. Input: 240v AC 50Hz Output: 18v AC 1 Amp plug-in adaptor

Combi Outputs: 0-12v DC controlled (nominal) up to 1amp and 18v AC (nominal) 50Hz up to 1 amp.

I was thinking of the power pack label. Just wondering if by chance the supplier supplied the wrong one.

Kevin Martin

I have one which I use for testing and a rolling road.

I had a problem where old Anchoridge Motors would run for a couple of minutres and then die. I presumed it was the motors even changing a couple. Never thought to try them on another controller. On doing so they worked fine the controller had a fault not the motors. I sent it back to Gaugemaster who repaired it for free. They never said on return what the fault was. No problems since.

Thanks for your help boys and girls - looks like a trip back to the shop at some stage!

There is a bloke at the local model railway club who I'll get to check it first however.

It might take 2 or 3 weeks but I'll post on here to let folks know if they're interested.

• 2 years later...

Simpler   to  post  it  back  to  gaugemaster  they  guarantee  their  power  units  without  time  limit  I believe  save  your  costs  in  travelling  back to  shop??

I have   sent  faulty  gaugemaster units  back to  them ( not a Combi though)  both  analogue  & digital  which  have  been quickly  repaired  or  replaced  with  new   units  at no cost

You  may also be interested  in looking  at  Morley  controller  website,  they  do  a  good  range  of  products  at excellent  prices  and  have been in  hte business for  over  50 years

Archived