The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Robin Gibb dies

beast66606

• RMweb Premium

he'd certainly been through the mill recently, but seemed like he might be ok. sad news indeed.

whatever one's opinion of the music, there can be no doubting the bee gees' musical talent.

Sorry to hear that, of course. Condolences to his family. What ever we think of them they are part of our history now.

Eric Clapton once commented (after he'd managed to get away from Robert Stigwood) that Cream had financed the making of the BeeGees.....

Best, Pete.

The tributes to Robin this morning on the Today programme are as fulsome and deserved as they are unexpected - three segments so far. It's almost surreal to hear some of his fine compositions amid the normal Today fare but utterly right.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

The Bee Gees were one of my "Guilty pleasures" bands - as a rock fan, I wasn't supposed to like them, but I still do, 40+ years on!

Very sad news indeed.

• RMweb Gold

Our thoughts must be with brother Barry loosing his younger brothers. I just couldn't imagine dealing with that.

It's so sad that he won't be around to see the completion of the Bomber Command memorial that he was closely involved with.

A sad, sad day.

one word....

tragedy

a very sad loss, on top of this news the former drummer with crowded house has died too

The flautist from "Men At Work" who performed on their all-conquering single "Down Under" also died a week or so ago.

• RMweb Premium

Between him and his brothers, the Gibb clan produced much good music - more than most would believe - the three Bee Gee brothers also had a near symbiotic relationship and as a result could generate music a capella in perfect three part harmony without rehearsal - I saw then do it in TV interviews a few times.

My late father was a professional musician and teacher of music, and he stated (IMO correctly) that their compositional skills were among the best of the late 20th Century. As a result, I revisited the Bee Gees music and with the benefit of his knowledge and my more limited musical learnings, I actually realised that they were extremely good indeed.

RIP Robin

Very sad to hear, RIP Robin.

As 45156 rightly says above the band were highly talented songwriters, they'd been at it a good ten years before the disco era kicked in. Some of their late 60s and earley 70s LP tracks are worth listening too. Also, as alluded to in a previous thread about railway accidents, Robin was a passenger in the Hither Green derailment just a week or two after entering Britain from Australia with his brothers.

Another one of my music icons passes on. Great song writers who could pen some memorable melodies. Must be hard for Barry having lost all three of his brothers so early in their lives...

RIP Robin. Thanks for the memories.

Archived