The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A blast from my past - I've still got it !

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

Found an on-line spectrum emulator and had a go at an old favourite of mine - Ant Attack. To my amazement I completed it at the second attempt !

I've captured the screen as the chain is painting to prove I didn't just find the final image !

post-6662-0-03872200-1337596959.jpg

It's here if you want a go !

Other "speccie" games available here.

http://www.twinbee.org/hob/index.php

No connection other than an old so and so who remembers the spectrum when it was innovative !

Once had a game called 2002 for the BBC B. Basically a spaceship/station docking exercise, but excruciatingly slow, loaded from a cassette and virtually impossible unless you were already in line and with rotation matched (Level 1!). No idea how anybody did it when the ship and station were separated and with different pitch, yaw and roll characteristics.

I got my actual Spectrum out of the attic the other day, plugged her in and bingo it still works. Kids thought I was mad asking where the monitor was and mouse. No tape deck anymore so its an emulator if I want to play. p.s Jet Set Willy for me everytime!!!! :gamer:

I used to spend hours playing Match Day and Match Day 2. I also liked Jet Pac, and a game called Pssst which involved spraying wasps. But I sold my Spectrum in the 90s. The chap I sold it to was so pleased he paid me more than I'd asked for!

I must dig out my Commodore 64 (well, actually, it's a 128, but I don't want to show off). So many great games, considering just how tiny the memory was. Don't forget, kids, that this was 64 or 128 kilobytes, not megabytes! The great thing about Commodores was that whereas most games loaded by cassette (oh, the frustration), you could actually buy cartridges - albeit at huge expense - which loaded instantly. Even our previous computer, the Vic20 (with its mighty 3k of memory - take that, ZX81!) had some good games on cartridge.

I guess that most kids of my age grew up in either Sinclair or Commodore households - apart from those whose parents chose one of the lesser-known and shorter-lived brands, such as Apricot or Dragon. All different, none of them intercompatible! Even within one brand, software was not interchangeable. Vic20 stuff didn't work on the 64, neither of them worked on the C16/Plus4. Happy days!

• RMweb Premium

Loved Chuckie Egg too - the spectrum version is on the link

How far did you get?

I managed 4 or 5 complete levels (ie 8 screens on each)

You can get a perfect PC version as well, complete with Beeb style graphics and sound

EDIT: just found it on a PC disc (Retro Gamer disk 1)

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I could play Chuckie for ever, at the time my girlfriends 2 brothers and I used to have competitions, in the end it was boring because we all got so good that we'd be on for ages and the others would lose interest. We had a poke for infinite lives which we used for practice, but it was banned from our "competition" matches.

Bugaboo the flea was my tormentor, only ever did it once, and that was by accident !

I remember Elite; great game.

I've just managed to get Tie Fighter back working under Dos Box in Windows 7. I am absolutely rubbish compared to how I used to be but still loving it all the same!

Tried to get my floppy disks of B17 Flying Fortress working and they must have gone corrupt or something, though, as my floppy drive can't read the disks at all.

• RMweb Premium

Another couple of early games:

Castle Wolfenstein

Lode Runner

Both on Apple II in colour.

Later on most others. I had it on BBC B and still have the PC version.

Many overlook the early Apple computers but the Apple II and IIe were great for adding to with an open architecture and easy plug-ins.

I even made a plug-in card to control the works' Christmas light show!

Keith

Back in the day, best game for me was Aviator for the Beeb by Acornsoft, a spitfire sim with aliens, though I play did Castle of Riddles way too much. 'Go North', 'Go East','Say Gloop', lol.

I'm afraid I skipped the speccy, went straight to an Amiga after the beeb.

Who remembers Jeff Minter's LLamatron?

Paul

Who remembers Jeff Minter's LLamatron?

If anyone has an XBox 360, the swirly visualisation when you play a music CD is actually Jeff Minter's Light Synth

• RMweb Premium

Anyone wrecked the RETURN key of their BBC micro playing the rather mindless shoot-em-up-game "Zalaga"?

Sigh! "Chuckie Egg" with the sound effects, "Repton" with that annoying music on endless loop, that football manager game where you had to pick players and watched animated highlights of the matches - the BBC was much more colourful than the Spectrum.

Adolescent 1980s computer nerds ( loads in my old school! ) arguing over the merits of the Spectrum and the BBC together with obscure makes such as Oric!

Happy days!!!!

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid I skipped the speccy, went straight to an Amiga after the beeb.

Paul

I always thought the Speccy too much of a toy. Sinclair's claim about it having x kbytes more memory therefore = better than Beeb, was rather let down by it's operating system. The Beeb OS could do things a Speccy did with a lot less memory usage.

I went BBC B > BBC Master (128k) > PC.

Would have liked to try an Archimedes with it's 32 bit RISC CPU. Many people have a direct descendent of it in their Smartphone, Tablet etc. Still designed by ARM holdings, the successor to Acorn.

Keith

Anyone wrecked the RETURN key of their BBC micro playing the rather mindless shoot-em-up-game "Zalaga"?

No, but I wrecked the L key with Space Pirates.

Those were the days, and these are the days. I work for a video games company, this is our latest offering...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34DkO4b4WWI

Trouble is, making games is a world apart from playing them.

Paul

Archived