Incident at Grosmont

Guest 838rapid

Guest 838rapid

It has just been reported on Calender news (our local news) of a incident at Grosmont.

Reports at the present time are vague,but they report a Male has been crushed between 2 vehicles and has died.

The Incident happenend 90 minutes ago.

My thoughts are with those involed.

Sad news

On WNXX another poster has posted the following:

''At the request of the railway, it has been asked that all keep their posting, facebook, twitter etc quiet until the NYMR release a formal statement''

Obviously this forum will take action as deemed appropriate.

• RMweb Gold

On WNXX another poster has posted the following:

''At the request of the railway, it has been asked that all keep their posting, facebook, twitter etc quiet until the NYMR release a formal statement''

Obviously this forum will take action as deemed appropriate.

i.e exactly as Andy has already said above in respect of RMweb. While this is undoubtedly a tragic incident for those involved and the bereaved, to whom I extend my deepest sympathy, it is worth remembering that such incidents can potentially have both civil and criminal legal consequences in which facts would become far more relevant than internet chatter and opinion.

Way too many incidents recently. Many have been reported in various magazines and media. I forsee a clamping down by HMRI/RAIB which might ask questions about the workers on lines.

Please gents can we leave any talk about what has happened elsewhere and what is or should be likely to happen elsewhere out of this thread? Whilst you are all entitled to your opinions I don't think expressing them on here does anything to make a tragic situation any better and out of respect for the those involved can we just stick to posting as Andy has requested already.

Very sad new. As very few details are available can I request that any information is kept to links to news stories with no speculation, supposition or assumption and with due respect to anyone affected by any incident.

• RMweb Premium

Saw this on Ceefax initially - my first thought was how horrid for the poor chaps family. They certainly have my sympathy. The only other thought is that he died contributing to something he dearly loved - still doesn't change what is a great shame and a waste.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, the time of the accident is quite a bit out, not a particularly good start.

Alas the RAIB seems at times to be not particularly strong on 'detail'. On viewing a draft of one of their reports - re an incident on NR - I found three basic errors of fact (at least one of which might have had bearing on the circumstances of the fatality) and duly advised them; all were corrected in the final Report. It should not have been necessary for me to have to draw to their attention to such basic errors which could only have been a consequence of inattention (or lack of in depth examination of the site?) in the preparation of their Report.

• RMweb Premium

Well, the time of the accident is quite a bit out, not a particularly good start.

The initial press release says 'about 12.30' and RAIB say 'about 12.10' Neither of them are specific and is you take the word 'about' to mean 10 minutes either way then the accident could have occurred at 12.20 - but does that really matter? Surely what is important here is that the initial investigation appears to have identified an apparant fault in the loco that seems to have caused a sudden and unexpected change in direction.

Note my use of the words 'appears', 'apparant' and 'seems to' as I don't want to be accused of prejudging the formal enquiry - see Andy post#2 and Mod5 #13

Mike

The apparent cause could prove to be quite controversial - whether it's judged as an alleged fault which should've been addressed on shed or an alleged driver error not to have known the risk and acted accordingly (ie to lock it in place). Glad I'm not the one who has to make that decision!

The apparent cause could prove to be quite controversial - whether it's judged as an alleged fault which should've been addressed on shed or an alleged driver error not to have known the risk and acted accordingly (ie to lock it in place). Glad I'm not the one who has to make that decision!

That is not the way it read to me. More that the lever was part of the design of SR locos and peculiar to them. If indeed that is the case then it is more of a question of training/instruction than a fault.

Archived