C31 BR Experimental Blue.

A1A A1A

That Triang blue version was very attractive although (as others said earlier) a fictitious variation on the real one. D5578 was, indeed blue but without the white embellishments ... how much more attractive she would have been if BR had painted her as Triang chose to!!

Interestingly in 'Trains Illustrated' there was a colour plate of an artists impression of Brush Type 2 (never a Class 31 with the original Mirrlees engine, of course!) that had the white stripes - but it also had the cast lion type plates too! Several alternative colours were shown, inlcuding a deep red. There is an earlier, plainer version of the Tri-ang Brush without the stripes, but with the cab window area picked out in whitee, so still not quite authentic. I've got one of these blue ones too, but hardly original condition as I modified it by fitting a second motor bogie to improve its performance of my then new (circa 1970) nickel silver Peco points!

Guest spet0114

Hi Rab,

It's hard to tell from your pics, but is yours a three- or four-bodyside footstep version?

Cheers

Adrian

• 4 weeks later...

Tri-ang R357 A1A - five liveries carried during a 14 year production run 1962 - 76:

1. blue/blue roof, eggshell white window surrounds as D5578 - this was a much more accurate attempt at D5578's colours

2. British Railways standard green as D5572

3. The blue version described and pictured above - this was produced alongside the green one and numbered R357B

4. British Rail blue/full yellow ends, D5572 - first attempt in bright blue plastic

5. British Rail blue/full yellow ends, D5572 - correct BR blue

From 1972 the model reverted to green, but with a heavily gloss varnished finish and trailing bogie pickups added, it kept this spec until withdrawal in 1976 (no doubt hastened due to the then- new Airfix version)

Guest spet0114

Tri-ang R357 A1A - five liveries carried during a 14 year production run 1962 - 76:

1. blue/blue roof, eggshell white window surrounds as D5578 - this was a much more accurate attempt at D5578's colours

3. The blue version described and pictured above - this was produced alongside the green one and numbered R357B

4. British Rail blue/full yellow ends, D5572 - first attempt in bright blue plastic

From 1972 the model reverted to green, but with a heavily gloss varnished finish and trailing bogie pickups added, it kept this spec until withdrawal in 1976 (no doubt hastened due to the then- new Airfix version)

Hi Andyman,

Your timeline is basically correct, but there are a few subtlties that it misses.

For example, the matt green and lined blue versions (versions 2 and 3 in your list) overlap with the first rail blue version (v. 4 in your list). When version 4 was first produced, the mould was altered to allow the loco number to be placed 'behind' the cab rather than in front of it. This necesstitated the removal of one of the four bodyside footsteps. Collectors have reported examples of both versions 2 and 3 with three and four steps respectively.

Cheers

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andyman,

Your timeline is basically correct, but there are a few subtlties that it misses.

For example, the matt green and lined blue versions (versions 2 and 3 in your list) overlap with the first rail blue version (v. 4 in your list). When version 4 was first produced, the mould was altered to allow the loco number to be placed 'behind' the cab rather than in front of it. This necesstitated the removal of one of the four bodyside footsteps. Collectors have reported examples of both versions 2 and 3 with three and four steps respectively.

Cheers

Adrian

Very interesting - thanks. My collection concentrates on the later versions so I'd missed the 3/4 step alteration!

It is also worth noting that the D5578 number can be found on Green examples, and the D5572 Number can be found on the "Experimental" Blue examples.

Tri-ang / Hornby frequently mixed up the numbering tools, for various reasons, including repairs.

I seem to recall that the earliest BR blue versions may have had umber brown undeframes and bogies, although it was a long time ago. If I am right, is that another livery variation?

There was also an Australian version in NSW Government Railways livery, although I'm not sure what its catalogue reference was.

I seem to recall that the earliest BR blue versions may have had umber brown undeframes and bogies, although it was a long time ago. If I am right, is that another livery variation?

There was also an Australian version in NSW Government Railways livery, although I'm not sure what its catalogue reference was.

I am unaware of the brown frames option.

The NSW Maroon loco was R.307. Made 1974-1976.

From memory the brown frame version might have been Airfix?

Stewart

Yes, that was the Airfix one. Thanks to those above who also mentioned the NSWR version R307, I should have included that as I did at one time have one! I've also recently picked up a 1972 version in green in the open tray Tri-ang Hornby box, gloss green, three bodyside steps. This does have the holes added to the trailing bogie for the wires that were used for the extra pickups, but doesn't have the locating ridges for the brass pickup strips, and doesn't have the extra pickups fitted. This is the earliest issue of the late green version I've come across.

Yes, that was the Airfix one. Thanks to those above who also mentioned the NSWR version R307, I should have included that as I did at one time have one! I've also recently picked up a 1972 version in green in the open tray Tri-ang Hornby box, gloss green, three bodyside steps. This does have the holes added to the trailing bogie for the wires that were used for the extra pickups, but doesn't have the locating ridges for the brass pickup strips, and doesn't have the extra pickups fitted. This is the earliest issue of the late green version I've come across.

Ah yes, the Airfix GMR versions. I have not had anything to do with them.

On the 1972 loco, what wheels are fitted to the trailing bogie? Split sleeved on metal axles with closed axle boxes? Or the metal and plastic ones used with the wiper pick ups, which rubbed on the axles?

It is an interesting transitional variation.

30031? More apt than you might think, since the original Mirrlees engined Brush Type 2s were allocated the class 30, although never actually carrying such numbers. :)

I never thought about that, and I was only recently reading about the Brush type 2, or class 30. :O

Ah yes, the Airfix GMR versions. I have not had anything to do with them.

On the 1972 loco, what wheels are fitted to the trailing bogie? Split sleeved on metal axles with closed axle boxes? Or the metal and plastic ones used with the wiper pick ups, which rubbed on the axles?

It is an interesting transitional variation.

It has the split sleeved ones on all axles of the trailing bogie. I'm in no doubt it just predates the fitting of the extra pickups. Interestingly, early issues with the extra pickups retain the split sleeved wheels on the centre axle; around 1974 this was changed to the standard black plastic pinpoint one piece wheel/axle moulding. ;

It has the split sleeved ones on all axles of the trailing bogie. I'm in no doubt it just predates the fitting of the extra pickups. Interestingly, early issues with the extra pickups retain the split sleeved wheels on the centre axle; around 1974 this was changed to the standard black plastic pinpoint one piece wheel/axle moulding. ;

Ah right. Thanks for the info.

So that make my later green one from 1974 on, it has the pin-point centre axle.

Archived