The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

I was just out with the dog. As we exited the garage to the back yard, my neighbor had a racoon on his back porch trying his best to get into the trashcan.

Lisl stared at him until he ran away. He'll be back though, he's a local and we've seen him before. Lisl treed him last Autumn.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I went for a goldfinch going by the shape of the beak, broader at the base.

its a simple mistake to make but the goldfinch is a lot brighter 

Goldfinch 

goldfinch

chaffinch 

chaffinch

Edited by jbqfc
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I would also go with Chaffinch for the first one, certainly for the cols and markings but take the point about the broader beak which doesn't look quite right to me ...but I can't find another broad beaked finch with those cols unless it's a Brambling (?)

The behaviour description of the second one made me immeadiately think of a Goldcrest which the photo supports although it looks like there is a little bit more black on the head than my books suggest. Similar size to a Wren if that helps ....and not the Navy type either ! :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 03060 said:

The behaviour description of the second one made me immediately think of a Goldcrest which the photo supports although it looks like there is a little bit more black on the head than my books suggest. Similar size to a Wren if that helps ....and not the Navy type either ! :D

could be having had another look is there pine trees in the area as that is where you are most likely to find them 

i will let the expert of the house Clare to have a look when she comes 

John 

Clare is not sure thinks it could be a goldcrest 

Edited by jbqfc
to add more
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks for the info. I've never seen a Chaffinch so good to tick that off. There are pine trees around and I've heard people say they have seen Goldcrests so that could be a first too. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2021 at 16:56, Claude_Dreyfus said:

I was out for a very pleasant stroll earlier today along part of the old railway line from Pulborough to Fittleworth, when I saw this bird. It was quite a distance away, and needed full zoom; hence the picture being blurred. I am not sure what it is. My initial thought was a cormorant, but the back of the head and front of the neck is white, and the bird has some sort of crest by the looks of things. Its neck isn't as slender as a cormorant either, and its bill seems shorter as well.

IMG_4256.JPG.48abdd43fab806e6754475ca321f8aff.JPG

Any thoughts?

Cormorant in summer plumage. 

Edited by Tim Hall
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2021 at 17:17, Welly said:

Woodpecker?

No. There are black woodpeckers on the continent that are crow sized, I saw one in the Belgian Ardennes once, but this is a cormorant in summer plumage.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/03/2021 at 06:16, sb67 said:

DSCF3268.JPG.d93906cce60dd8d365450b702ba2d78b.JPG

DSCF3273.JPG.ee27deed244f406d7cca4b72945c819d.JPG

Can anybody identify these birds for me? Both taken in our local park at the weekend. The bird in the second picture was tiny and constantly fluttering about making it hard to get a good photo.

100% chaffinch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Kris said:

A few seals (between 70 and 80) from today's walk.

IMG_6564.jpeg.97c3d9ddecfb6a9a16c0bd86ca4d0d2c.jpeg

We had three on our beach yesterday, but our grand daughter screamed with delight when she saw them and you can guess the rest......they’ll be back.  It’s the season.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Although we didn't have a camera with us, we spotted a seal swimming upriver through Camarthen a few years ago when we were there for our anniversary. Someone told us he's a local celeb called Oscar. Now whenever we see anything that looks even vaguely like a seal, it's Oscar!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Although we didn't have a camera with us, we spotted a seal swimming upriver through Camarthen a few years ago when we were there for our anniversary. Someone told us he's a local celeb called Oscar. Now whenever we see anything that looks even vaguely like a seal, it's Oscar!

We actually have a statue to Nelson....no, not that one but a seal that took up residence in the harbour for years, when it finally became fish food a statue was erected.........if the WOKEs try and tear that down there’ll be trouble :D

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

When surfing at the beach next to this cove it is not unknown to find a seal beside you. It can be somewhat disconcerting to see a big black shape in the wave beside you! 

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Kris said:

When surfing at the beach next to this cove it is not unknown to find a seal beside you. It can be somewhat disconcerting to see a big black shape in the wave beside you! 

Even more disconcerting is if its behind you and has a triangular fin.:jester:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Even more disconcerting is if its behind you and has a triangular fin.:jester:

Oddly just this morning on R4 there was a lady diver chatting about once swimming and looking sideways and seeing a huge black and white shape, she realised it was a Killer Whale and although she knew it was virtually harmless to humans she had just one thought....get out the water.....she said in her wet suit she looked too much like a seal.......I guess she knew the whale wouldn’t eat here but didn’t want to get spit out half way through the chewing! :o

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A garden in Billericay today (borrowed from another forum).

image.png.fe5e5dc9e7db364eda40a92f8ebbb871.png

The field mouse has been around for a couple of weeks, there can't be too many real cats around.

Apologies, its a wood mouse not a field mouse.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2021 at 12:55, jbqfc said:

after years of trying finally got a photo of a chiffchaff 

chiffchaff

Great photo, I cant get a good pic of one no matter how I try. I need a better camera, there's loads over the woods near me! 

• Like 2